Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wonder about our two Pitchers Heckathorn,and Hall they seem to be very Promising and need to get into the Fold.

I believe the Brewers have look to get Richardson Over slot Money to sign and are waiting Word on that.

Haudricourt:

The Brewers continue to negotiate with their two supplemental first-round picks from the June draft, Tennessee outfielder Kentrail Davis and Kennesaw State right-hander Kyle Heckathorn.

The Brewers figured Davis and Heckathorn would take longer to sign than first-rounder Eric Arnett, a right-hander from Indiana University who was anxious to get going. Davis was a sophomore-eligible player and is represented by agent Scott Boras, renown for lengthy, tough negotiations with draft picks.

"We have a good relationship with the Boras Corp.," said Brewers scouting director Bruce Seid. "We both know where we're at. We're still talking. We're not that far off.

"With Heckathorn, we're doing what we can. We're still in talks. We've already signed a lot of guys. We're focusing on the four guys left in the top 10."

That would include fourth-rounder Brooks Hall, a right-hander from Hanna High School in Anderson, S.C., and fifth-rounder D'Vontrey Richardson, an outfielder from Florida State.

Seid has been very pleased with the play of third-rounder Josh Prince, a shortstop out of Tulane. Entering the weekend, Prince was batting .300 with 14 stolen bases in 10 games.

"He's been ripping up the base paths," said Seid. "And he's a good defensive player."

Who's his representation?

edit. Just googled it...I should have looked it up before I posted, but it wasn't a surprise... Freaking Scott Boras....we've actually done well with him the past. I'll be pissed if he walks, I could care less about getting the pick again next year.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The Brewers should have just picked my guy. Marc Kraus signed immediately and is already tearing up the Midwest League. Why pay extra for Boras guys when theres other good players available?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

wasn't davis a sandwich pick? IIRC, if we fail to sign those picks, we don't get them back next year

I thought that too, but I asked Keith Law and he said that we'd get #39A next year if we failed to sign Davis.

I have a feeling he will sign on August 17th. This is just Boras seeing if he can get the Brewers to blink. If he signs in August, maybe he goes to the HWB and gets his first 100-150 AB's in. I wonder how much he asked for and then denied?

Edit: I just wanted to add that this goes against the recent report with Bruce saying, "We're not that far off."

I thought that too, but I asked Keith Law and he said that we'd get #39A next year if we failed to sign Davis.

Unsigned draftees from the first two rounds (first, first round supplemental, and second rounds) garner a pick right after the overall selection in the following year's draft, unless the pick was already a compensation pick for an unsigned draftee.

Unsigned third round picks garner a supplemental third-round pick.

I too think Davis will get signed by August 17th. I don't think the Brewers took him unless they were confident they could get that done. If not, my guess is that either Gennett or Howell (or possibly both) are the backup plans.

I too think Davis will get signed by August 17th. I don't think the Brewers took him unless they were confident they could get that done. If not, my guess is that either Gennett or Howell (or possibly both) are the backup plans.
I was wondering about this the other day. I wonder if Gennett and Howell are not just back up plans for guys like Davis but for the Sheets picks that did not happen. Do you think the Brewers had money saved to draft the two picks for Sheets and once he did not garner any picks they drafted guys like Gennett, Howell, Hall, and others who might sign over slot because they had a little "extra" money. They could also do it as a way to get the value of those Sheets picks without actually having received them.

• 2 weeks later...
Unsigned draftees from the first two rounds (first, first round supplemental, and second rounds) garner a pick right after the overall selection in the following year's draft, unless the pick was already a compensation pick for an unsigned draftee.
Not claiming that this is happening...but teams could utilize this rule to get out of a bad year and into a better year. I am surprised that there are not some ramifications, even if they are small, for not signing the pick. Bill Belchick would exploit the hell out of this rule.

• 2 weeks later...

D'Vo decides: MLB over FSU

Scott Chancey/Albany Herald

TALLAHASSEE, Fla.- Former Lee County High School star D'Vontrey Richardson's football career at Florida State is over.

That's according to Richardson's guardian, Steve Glover, who confirmed to The Herald late Wednesday that the current two-sport FSU athlete will instead sign a minor-league contract with the Milwaukee Brewers as early as today.

Glover added that while the signing could happen between today and next Friday, if Richardson signs today, the timing could not be more perfect.

Today's his 21st birthday.

"It's definitely going to happen (at some point really soon)," Glover said.

Richardson, a fifth-round pick by the Brewers, has not signed yet because the signing bonus offer by Milwaukee must first be approved by the MLB Commissioner's office. The reason for needing approval is because the undisclosed offer is higher than what the payscale for a fifth-round draft pick allows. Last year's average signing bonus for fifth-round picks, according to the Major League Scouting Bureau, was $266,000. The Brewers' media relations office, when contacted by The Herald on Wednesday, said they had no comment on the status on Richardson's contract.

Glover, meanwhile, says he is confident it's no longer a matter of if, but when.

"They're telling us any day," Glover said.

Glover then added: "Some players from other teams have already signed above the slot when it comes to money. We've talked to the Brewers. To them, it's a done deal. There's not going to be a problem. They even called us (Wednesday) and told us it would be soon."

Attempts to contact Richardson on Wednesday, however, were unsuccessful. Glover said the reason was a good one: He was celebrating his upcoming birthday - and likely his contract - in a get-together with friends.

When the contract is signed, Glover said Richardson will immediately make plans to travel to Arizona and play for the Brewers' Arizona League (Rookie) team.

Richardson starred primarily in football and baseball at Lee County, and that earned him a scholarship to play both sports at Florida State. Those days, however, now appear to be in the past.

"It's just the start of a new chapter in his life," Glover said. "It's really just the beginning. He's still got a long way to get to his goal. It's definitely a start and it's nice and that will allow him to basically focus on baseball full time."

Glover said they have not told Florida State of Richardson's decision, but he added, "(Florida State) pretty much knew it when he left. When he went into the draft, they knew it was over because he's ready to take that chance."

Richardson was a 35th-round pick by the Washington Nationals out of high school in 2006, but instead chose to attend FSU.

While playing football for Florida State, Richardson worked his way to being the backup to quarterback Christian Ponder. During last season, Richardson set the team record for longest touchdown run by a quarterback (55 yards) last fall against Chattanooga and also threw a 39-yard touchdown pass to Preston Parker against Georgia Tech. Richardson, however, never surpassed Ponder on the depth chart and had been campaigning for a move to safety if he were to return to the gridiron this year.

On the baseball field, meanwhile, his blend of athleticism and power enabled him to become a viable outfielder with a strong arm - not to mention one who could also hit it out of the park.

He batted .351 and started mostly in center field his freshman year at Florida State. After not playing baseball last season to focus on academics, Richardson returned to baseball and batted .304 while starting 22 games. He tied a collegiate high for RBI (three) in the Tallahassee Regional-clinching win against Ohio State, but the lack of playing time this year occasionally frustrated Richardson.

Now, it's only a matter of time before that frustration goes away.

"He's a really level-headed kid," Glover said. "To him, this is something he has always wanted to do. He's very mature about the approach. He's not over the top, but he's just going in with a lot of excitement, a controlled excitement.

"He understands it's just a start, but he's excited about the work. He's ready."

D'Vo home, waiting on Brewers' call

Scott Chancey/Albany Herald

ALBANY - Former Lee County star D'Vontrey Richardson walked into Tony's Gym on his 21st birthday Thursday afternoon, ready to begin a workout. It's just a matter of days before he does the same thing in Arizona as a member of the Milwaukee Brewers' organization.

"(The Brewers) have told me to hang in there and stay in shape," Richardson, on Thursday, told The Herald, which first reported the news Wednesday, making national headlines on ESPN.com and another media outlets. "I'm excited, but it's going to be like starting over. Now, I just have to work harder than ever. I've got to stay level-headed."

Being assured by the Brewers that the MLB Commissioner's office will approve a bonus offer that is above the sliding scale for fifth-round picks such as Richardson, the only game he can play at the moment is a waiting one. Although Richardson did not sign Thursday, his guardian, Steve Glover, said it's possible that Richardson can sign by as late as next week.

Either way, it's a done deal.

Richardson was a 35th-round pick by the Washington Nationals out of high school in 2006, but instead chose to attend FSU. If he would have stayed at Florida State, he would be a redshirt junior this upcoming season.

On the baseball field, meanwhile, his blend of athleticism and power enabled him to become a viable outfielder with a strong arm - not to mention one who could also hit it out of the park.

He batted .351 and started mostly in center field his freshman year at Florida State. After not playing baseball last season to focus on academics, Richardson returned to baseball and batted .304 while starting 22 games. He tied a collegiate high for RBI (three) in the Tallahassee Regional-clinching win against Ohio State, but the lack of playing time this year occasionally frustrated Richardson.

Now, Richardson feels he is moving in the right direction.

"I'm very excited because I am a step closer to doing what I've dreamed of," Richardson said.

However, Richardson is leaving behind football, a sport he showed glimpses of real promise while at Florida State.

A GHSA Class AAAA player of the year out of Lee County, Richardson worked his way to being the backup to quarterback Christian Ponder. During last season, Richardson set the team record for longest touchdown run by a quarterback (55 yards) last fall against Chattanooga and also threw a 39-yard touchdown pass to Preston Parker against Georgia Tech. Richardson, however, never surpassed Ponder on the depth chart and had been campaigning for a move to safety if he were to return to the gridiron this year.

Richardson said he is at peace with his decision to pursue baseball, but that's not saying the urge to play football again will never come back.

"I may miss football if I see FSU on TV or something like that, it will be like the feeling when I come back to Lee County and watch one of their games and it's like, "I wish I could play again," Richardson said.

Seems odd that the hold up is an over slot deal for a 5th round pick, how much over slot can it actually be? Approve the deal Bud... I want to read about this kid in action before the end of the season.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2009/jun/10/hannas-hall-drafted-brewers/

http://media.independentmail.com/and/content/img/photos/2009/06/10/0611BrooksHall_t220.jpg

After an evening of waiting to no avail, Brooks Hall left Anderson early Wednesday morning for the beach.

But shortly after the Major League Baseball First-Year Draft resumed Wednesday afternoon, the Milwaukee Brewers selected Hall, a T.L. Hanna righthanded pitcher, in the fourth round, 136th overall.

"They were chest bumping at the beach," said his mother Sherry, who said her son and some friends left early Wednesday after watching the first three rounds go by on Tuesday night without being picked.

Hall said he didn't care which round he was drafted, but that was he was real excited to be chosen. He was the third pitcher selected by the Brewers, but first out of high school.

Hall began the season as the Jackets' ace and threw a perfect game before an elbow injury limited him to shortstop and designated hitter roles. He went 4-1 on the mound in 20 1/3 innings, allowed five earned runs, and had a 1.74 ERA.

He struck out 12 on 76 pitches in the perfect game, a 9-0 victory over Greenwood in late March.

At the plate, the South Carolina signee hit .324 with a .438 on-base percentage, and team-highs in walks (17) and stolen bases (8).

Drafted as a pitcher, T.L. Hanna coach Adam Comstock said that the elbow injury suffered in late March had healed when Hall recently worked out for the Brewers. And he didn't feel any pain after throwing 94 m.p.h. Hall said he's nearly 100 percent.

While Hall said he wouldn't finalize his plans to go pro or to be a Gamecock "for a while," the coach's hunch was that Hall would go pro.

"He would much rather get up at 8 a.m. and work on his swing, or his fastball," Comstock said. "Than go to an 8 a.m. class."

Hall said going to college or pro was "50/50," but that he was leaning toward going pro.

Hall's signing bonus is likely to be at least six figures, but he declined to say what the Brewers have offered.

"They've lived up to his demands verbally," said Hall's father, Buck, who also said his son would lean toward going pro.

Sounds good but don't know what they been waiting for...... Get it done, the only reason I would think that they haven't is maybe he has been having some arm problems

Archived