Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 6-20

Please use this thread to share your thoughts, links, stories, pictures and anything else on the Brewers picks on draft day from rounds 6 through 20. Please do not start separate threads to discuss the individual picks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bryan Smith at BP said Khris Davis was one of his guys on the second day (that's a free article):

The Titans have a lot of players that have become household names in their run as the number two team in the country this season, but not enough know about their 2009 MVP (as voted on by me), Khris Davis. We knew before the season that the offense needed a power bat, we just didn't know where it would come from. Davis, who had struggled on and off the field for two seasons, seemed an unlikely source. However, here we stand four months later, and Davis leads Fullerton in doubles (25), home runs (16) and walks (34). He's probably a touch too slow to play center, and his arm not quite enough for right field, but I think he hits enough for left. He's turned it on in the postseason, too, going 11-for-23 with four walks and four home runs in five tournament games.

BA on Gennett:

Sarasota High has produced 10 players drafted in the first five rounds over the last 20 years, and Gennett-whose real first-name is Ryan-should be the 11th. He helped the Sailors win a state title when he was a freshman in 2006. He isn't a conventional prospect in some ways but he has one of the more advanced bats in the draft, high school or college. He showed a strong, quick swing and advanced approach last summer, particularly impressing at the East Coast Showcase. He profiles as an offensive second baseman, while Florida State intends for him to start at shortstop as a freshman. He's a grinder with surprising power and bat speed for his size (a listed 5-foot-10, 170 pounds), and though he can be streaky, his bat is his best tool. He's a better runner on the field than in showcase events, but he's closer to average than above-average in that department. Defensively he gets the most of his ability, with his range and arm better suited for the right side of the infield than the left. He's agile, though, and a solid athlete. Gennett would be a crucial get for Florida State, if he gets there. Most scouts consider him a third-to-fifth round talent, though he was backing up late, including a poor performance with the bat in Sebring at the state prep all-star game.
BA on Gennett again (jjfanec linked this in the general thread, and this one's free):
Like you may expect from a kid with the nickname "Scooter"-his real first name is Ryan-Gennett is an undersized middle infielder. Listed at 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds, he's a gritty, grinder type that always has a dirty uniform. He has talent, but sometimes tries to be too flashy or do too much at the plate. His swing is long and slow with wood and he struggled to get balls out of the infield during the event's batting practice session.

"He's a fantastic high school player," the AL scout said. "I think he's going to be a very good college player, but he's probably better off going to school. He has a ways to go with the bat and in our game he probably lacks the size and range to go out there and project as a major league shortstop. He's probably more of a second baseman or a utility guy and going to college might do him some good. He needs some time, he's not ready. Good pitching will own this kid and when that happens early, sometimes you lose them mentally forever."

Gennett was in SaberScouting's top 30 HS juniors last year, and it sounds like he has some promise as a pitcher as well:
Gennett is the heir apparent to Casey Kelly's spot as starting shortstop and ace for the powerhouse Sarasota Sailors. Gennett has three pitches he can throw for strikes including a low 90's fastball but has a future as a hitter in the middle of the diamond. It's not clear yet if he's a long-term shortstop, second base, or center fielder, but his tools will play almost anywhere. Scooter (his given name is Ryan) swings a mean left-handed bat with surprising pull power for his size and a solid approach. He has good makeup and all-around baseball instincts with quick feet and an above-average arm. Florida State commit.

Jones County's Roberts set for baseball draft
Jonathan Heeter

Tyler Roberts has had a different kind of senior trip.

The recent Jones County graduate has logged an impressive amount of frequent flier miles during the past few weeks on job interviews that took him to Atlanta, Washington D.C. and New York City.

Roberts will find out what kind of impression he made during the next three days. The Jones County catcher is expected to be drafted at some point during the next few days in the Major League Baseball draft. The first three rounds are today, with rounds four through 30 on Wednesday and the remainder of the draft Thursday.

"It's hard to get a handle on it," Roberts said. "I've heard someone might jump up and (draft) me in the second round, or I might fall to the 13th. I've got five teams right now that are very interested."

Roberts worked out for the Atlanta Braves, New York Yankees and Washington Nationals in recent days. He got a chance to hit some long home runs in the hitter-friendly Yankee Stadium and caught San Diego State pitcher Steven Strasburg - the likely No. 1 overall pick - in Washington.

But Roberts' best memories will come from his workout for the Braves at Turner Field. He got to put on the uniform of his favorite team and then hit between 10 to 15 home runs with a wooden bat.

"It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience," Roberts said. "I was at Chipper Jones' first game with the Macon Braves. I've grown up a Braves fan. If I could choose one team to pick me, it would be the Braves. But that's not how it works."

Roberts is on the mind of many scouts because of his play at Jones County and because of his time with the Atlanta Blue Jays, with whom was a teammate of last year's No. 1 overall pick, Tim Beckham.

"I've played a lot of baseball and matured over the years," Roberts said. "I've played with some of the best players in the nation with the Blue Jays. It has all been a process to get me ready for this chance."

Roberts hit .584 as a senior with 13 home runs and 51 RBI. He walked nearly 40 times.

"I've been coaching high school baseball for 20 years, and this is by far the best offensive season I've ever seen," Jones County head coach Barry Veal said. "He is such a great hitter and never gets frustrated. He stays patient and produces."

Roberts signed with Meridian Community College, keeping his options open if he doesn't like where he is drafted.

"Signing with a junior college gives you five chances to get drafted," Roberts said. "If you go to a four-year school, you only have three chances (as a high school senior and after the junior and senior college seasons). I'm just keeping my options open."

http://media.macon.com/smedia/2009/06/08/17/4-20090608-171927-pic-934399340.standalone.prod_affiliate.71.jpg

Jones County catcher Tyler Roberts watches a first inning homerun fly off his bat during play against East Coweta recently.
(Grant Blankenship/The Telegraph)

Scooter Gennett's gonna be a tough sign. He entered the year as a potential sandwich rounder. He has one of the best pure bats available this year, but slumped a little at the plate this spring and had some scouts question him due to his smallish stature and probable need to move to 2B. I hope the Brewers get this kid signed, as he was one of my favorite high schoolers.

I was surprised to see Del Howell fall as far as he did. He was another one that was at the team's pre-draft last Saturday.

EDIT: Updated article

Brewers pick Jones County's Roberts in 10th round

Jonathan Heeter

GRAY - Tyler Roberts dreamed of being drafted by the Atlanta Braves.

But the Jones County catcher had no problem settling for the team that replaced the Braves in Milwaukee.

"I guess it is funny how that worked out," Roberts said.

The Milwaukee Brewers drafted Roberts on Wednesday in the 10th round of the major league draft with the 316th overall pick.

"It's a dream come true," Roberts said. "I can't really describe the feeling. I have an opportunity to sign with a Major League Baseball team."

Roberts said he had significant discussions with the Brewers throughout the draft process. He played for the Brewers' East Coast Showcase team in Florida last summer. The Brewers sent scouts to the Greyhounds' first-round playoff game in May.

But during the past two weeks, Milwaukee wasn't one of the teams Roberts heard from. He did have an opportunity to work out June 6 in Milwaukee but passed to work out for the Washington Nationals, who hinted they might draft Roberts in the first four rounds. The Braves and New York Yankees also held workouts for Roberts.

By Wednesday morning, Roberts was fielding calls from nearly every team. But as the day wore on, Roberts just wanted to hear his name called.

"I couldn't sleep for the last three nights," Roberts said. "It just gets more stressful with every round."

Roberts said he expects contract negotiations to continue during the next few weeks. He has signed a scholarship with Meridian (Miss.) Junior College.

"I've got options," Roberts said. "If I don't like the fit, I can also go to college."

If he signs with the Brewers, Roberts would likely be sent to Helena, Mont., for advanced rookie league ball.

"The Brewers do a great job of building through their minor leagues," Roberts said. "Most of their players came up through the organization. That tells me they are committed to building through the minors."

Roberts hit .584 as a senior with 13 home runs and 51 RBI. He walked nearly 40 times.

"I've been coaching high school baseball for 20 years, and this is by far the best offensive season I've ever seen," Jones County head coach Barry Veal said. "He is such a great hitter and never gets frustrated. He stays patient and produces."

http://media.macon.com/smedia/2009/06/09/14/749-929-0609_masp_roberts_551_BC.standalone.prod_affiliate.71.jpg

Jones County catcher Tyler Roberts was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers Wednesday in the 10th round of the Major League Baseball Draft.

(Beau Cabell/The Telegraph)

Baseball America's Conor Glassey doesn't sound optimistic that Gennett will sign (free blog post):

In our final Draft Tracker before the big day, I noted that Scooter Gennett was trending down-and that's the direction he headed, right down to the 16th round, when the Brewers took a shot on him with the 496th-overall selection. In Sebring, he looked a little sloppy in the field and didn't hit well with wood. He'll likely end up at Florida State, where he'll be draft eligible again as a sophomore.

Halton first LC player taken

Jay Tust

LEWISTON - For the Warriors, Sean Halton was the first Warrior to come off the board, selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 13th round. Then, not to long after that, Tom Peale was picked up by the Florida Marlins in the 23rd round.

Assistant head coach Gus Knickrehm said he's excited for both former Warriors.

"It's always real nice to get those kind of guys out of here," said Knickrehm. "They work hard all year and I wish them the best of luck."

For Halton, the senior led LC this season with 18 homeruns and 71 RBIs, all while hitting .379. Saving his best for last, in just three games at this year's NAIA World Series, Halton went deep three times, driving in 9 runs in the process.

One substantial difference though, after playing the outfield for LC this last season, the Brewers selected him as a first baseman. However, his former coach believes he'll make the transition effortlessly.

"With Sean's work ethic and how he goes about his everyday work, I don't think it will be a problem," said Knickrehm. "I think that Milwaukee made a great choice by going after Halton and getting him. There going to find a guy who comes in everyday and represents their program, but himself."

http://media.klewtv.com/images/061009_SEAN_HALTON_KLEW.jpg

Well, this sounds promising!

Gennett batted .470 with 29 runs scored and 23 RBI for the Sailors.

"We'll be in negotiations for the next couple of months," said Gennett, who received calls in the third and fourth rounds. "I threw out a number that was a little over the slot money."

"They (the Brewers) stole me in the 16th," he said. "I'm just glad a team picked me. A great day. I'm a Brewer now."

Bruce Seid on Scooter Gennett and Del Howell:

Another player who dropped due to "signability" questions was Sarasota (Fla.) prep shortstop Ryan "Scooter" Gennett, taken by the Brewers in the 16th round. Gennett is considered key to Florida State's recruiting class.

"I think the kid wants to play," Seid said.

The Brewers' 15th round selection, Alabama left-hander Del Howell, also dropped much lower than expected after suffering a bout of mononucleosis early in the season and struggling afterward (5-3, 6.33 in 11 starts).

"But just because we drafted him 15th, that doesn't mean he'll sign for 15-slot money," Seid said.

I'm having a hard time getting a read on Khris Davis. He's obviously got some power since he led Fullerton in homers, but colby said he had a big arm in right, while Bryan Smith said he didn't have the arm for right. BA says he has a quick bat and plays above his average tools, but colby says he has a long swing and and is a very good athlete with good speed.

Someone want to help me out?

SDSU pitcher Thielbar picked up by Brewers

Terry Vandrovec

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is going to have to find itself a new summer intern - Caleb Thielbar has landed another job.

While entering data Wednesday at his St. Paul, Minn., office, the South Dakota State senior pitcher - a wildlife and fisheries major - was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 18th round of the Major League Baseball Draft. The 6-foot, 180-pound lefty will report to a rookie camp sometime in the next week before being assigned to a minor league affiliate, likely in Phoenix or Helena, Mont.

Frankly, Thielbar doesn't care where he's sent. Just being selected was a dream come true for a 22-year-old from a town of 350 people (Randolph, Minn.) and a fledgling NCAA Division I program. He does not have an agent and doesn't plan on hiring one.

"It was pretty great," Thielbar said. "It's hard to even expect it. I don't really believe it. You see your name on there and it's like, wow."

In the days leading up to the event, Jackrabbits coach Ritchie Price wasn't certain that Thielbar would be chosen at all in the three-day, 50-round event and contact with five interested clubs slowed. Meanwhile, Thielbar had been led to believe that he wouldn't go any higher than the 25th-30th rounds.

But Milwaukee pulled the trigger with the 556th overall pick. Price said scouts liked that Thielbar is left-handed, throws in the 88-92 mph range - an increase of about 10 mph from when he arrived in Brookings - and has solid command of his off-speed pitches.

Thielbar went 5-8 as a senior with a 5.44 ERA and school record-tying 100 strikeouts in 87 2/3 innings, tying a school record. He also set program marks for career starts (44) and innings pitched (274), but most likely projects as a reliever at the pro level.

"The 18th round - that's great for him because the higher you're picked the more of a priority you are for the organization," said Price, an 18th-round pick out of Kansas in 2006. "He's picked high enough where he should get a big opportunity to advance."

And he's coming out of a program that is developing prospects on a more regular basis. After producing only one major league pick in the previous 20 years, the Jacks have had at least one player drafted three years in a row and another signed as a free agent.

Thielbar sought out his former teammates in short order Wednesday - after breaking the news to his boss, of course.

"It at least puts us on the map I would think," he said. "There's a lot of programs out there that don't get anyone taken most years."

7 area players drafted

Michael Lewis

The phone rang in the Burgos house in Cayey, Puerto Rico, a little earlier than expected Wednesday morning.

But no one minded the intrusion. When a family member is selected in the draft by a major league team, the phone's going to ring all day, anyway.

Former Bethune-Cookman ace Hiram Burgos was ecstatic when the Milwaukee Brewers called, informing the right-hander he was a sixth-round draft pick of the club.

Burgos, who had an outstanding career with the Wildcats, was taken earlier than most experts figured, and became the highest B-CU player drafted in the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft since Mark Woodyard in 2000.

"I'm definitely surprised. As soon as we saw my name (on the computer) everybody was screaming and jumping up and down and making all kinds of noise," Burgos said. "I had a feeling it would be Milwaukee, but not that fast. It's incredible."

Burgos, who went 6-3 with a 3.74 ERA for the Wildcats this spring, was one of seven area players chosen Wednesday in Day 2 of the Draft.

Archived