Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-50

Cape lefty Costello signs with Brewers

Russ Charpentier

Former Barnstable High School baseball star Matt Costello signed with the Milwaukee Brewers this week after being drafted in the 35th round.

Costello, the 1,066th player drafted, will pitch for the Brewers team in the Arizona League, a rookie level league.

"It's starting to wear off," the 6-1, 190-pound southpaw said yesterday from Phoenix, when asked if he was still on a high from being drafted. "Right now I'm not sure when I'll pitch. I'll probably throw Saturday or Sunday. I threw a bullpen today and it felt good."

Costello was named a Division II All-American after a huge spring at Valdosta State. He went 9-3, 3.67 on the hill, and hit a whopping .462 with 11 homers. He tied an NCAA Division II record with 13 consecutive hits in March.

But he's been drafted as a pitcher and understands the reality of his situation.

"I'm a 22-year-old," he said. "I basically have to do real well to keep abreast. I'll get stronger and try to prepare."

During the past two summers, Costello played in the Cape Cod Baseball League - with Cotuit in 2007 and Bourne in '08 - as a temporary player, before switching to the New England Collegiate Baseball League, where threw 35 innings and hit .315.

http://images.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CC&Date=20090618&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=90617030&Ref=AR&MaxW=570&MaxH=370&title=1&border=0

(Valdosta State)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EX-GATOR ON HOLD

Chuck Carree

Here is the latest on Demetrius McKelvie, a potential football-baseball player for Marshall.

The Milwaukee Brewers made him an offer, but put him on a summer follow list. McKelvie is playing center field for the prestigious Ohio Warhawks, a travel team.

The Warhawks have produced numerous major leaguers, including Brandon Phillips, Mike Napoli, Aaron Hill, A.J. Pierzynski and Adam Piatt.

"I have been stroking the ball good so far,'' McKelvie said.

He was a 25th round selection of the Brewers last week. Milwaukee will chart his progress over the summer and has until Aug. 17 to sign him.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Fatse drafted by Brewers

By Rick Sobey

East Longmeadow Reminder Staff Intern

HAMPDEN - Many young boys dream that one day they will pick up their phones and hear a Major League Baseball (MLB) representative asking for them. Peter Fatse does not have to dream this anymore, since it came true on June 10 during the MLB amateur draft.

In the 24th round of the draft, the Milwaukee Brewers selected Fatse, a 2006 graduate of Minnechaug Regional High School. He recently finished his junior year at the University of Connecticut (UConn), and the Brewers noticed his stellar play.

During this past season, Fatse's batting average was .324, and he accumulated 18 doubles, four triples, 11 homers and 54 RBI. His batting average improved drastically since his first year of college ( he batted .268 as a freshman), and the Brewers decided that he was ready for the minor leagues.

A Brewers representative contacted Fatse to let him know that the organization had drafted him, and he could not have been more ecstatic. "I was really excited when they told me I had been selected," Fatse said. "The chance to have professional experience is awesome. I have been dreaming about it since I was very young."

The Brewers only gave him a few days to decide whether to sign with the club or play at UConn for one more season. Fatse met with a team representative on June 12 and finalized a deal.

After signing the contract, he was sent out to Montana to play in the advanced rookie league. "This will be a great opportunity to play professional baseball," Fatse said.

He will be playing second base for the Helena Brewers ball club, but he has had experience with other positions. He was an outfielder for UConn during the past year. He is the opposite of a picky player; he is quite flexible. "It doesn't really matter what position I play," Fatse said. "I enjoy the infield and outfield positions equally."

Finishing his junior season of college, Fatse was already ranked in the top 10 in three career categories at UConn. These categories included home runs (23), RBI (131) and runs scored (132).

Jim Penders, head coach for the UConn baseball team, talked to Fatse when the Brewers drafted him. It was an exciting and emotional conversation. "We talked about the possibility of beginning his professional career and the possibility of leaving UConn," Penders said.

Even though he will be losing a special player, Penders believes that this draft process is much more sweet than sour. "Whenever your player develops to the point where professionals take notice, it is a happy moment for you as the coach," he said. "Peter has a bright future ahead of him, and I am real happy for him and his family."

According to Penders, it was always easy to coach Fatse. "He was a very mature kid as he entered his freshman year," Penders said. "He showed great effort in the batting cage and weight room. He was a very low maintenance kid; I never had to worry about him after practice."

As for whether Fatse has what it takes to make the major leagues, Penders thinks there is an excellent chance. "If the last three years are any indication, I wouldn't bet against Peter," Penders stated. "As a freshman, he had some tough times, but he learned how to handle them. He has handled failure much better, which is why I think we could see him playing in the major leagues one day."

Peter Fatse, who had been playing for the Holyoke (MA) Blue Sox of the New England Collegiate Baseball League, is now playing with the Helena Brewers, a minor league affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Reminder Publications submitted photo

[align=center]http://www.thereminder.com/localnews/wilbrahamhampden/localbaseballplaye/peter-fatse.jpg,0[/align]

Pitching with a purpose at the Sunbelt
Michael Kinney

When Texas coaches looked down their roster for the right pitcher to hand the ball on the first competitive day of the 33rd Annual Sunbelt Classic, they had plenty of talent to choose from,

They ended up going with Brady Rogers to face-off with Team Georgia in both teams' opener at Norman High Tuesday. They made a nice choice.

The Richmond, Texas, product put the clamps on Georgia in a 7-3 seven inning victory. If not for a pair of late homers from Jake German and Derick Thomas, Rogers might have had himself a complete-game shutout. He got the complete game.

"I felt good," Rogers said. "I made two mistakes. Obviously they went over the fence. But I had command of all my pitches. I felt great."

Such a performance at the Sunbelt is not new for Rogers. He made the Junior Sunbelt All-Tournament team last year, and wouldn't mind duplicating the feat in the big tournament.

"I'm going to try," Rogers said. "Just getting invited back was awesome. Last year was a great experience and that's why I came back. I had a blast. I am going to try and do my best to get All-Tournament again. We'll just see what happens."

Rogers didn't want to come to the tournament to take it easy. He came with the expectation of performing well and helping Texas win another Sunbelt title. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound right hander had it going in his first try.

"I had high expectations because I don't walk a lot of people," Rogers said. "That was one of the big things. Coach said don't give up the free passes. I didn't give up a single walk. Also, just to come in here and finish what I start. And I did that today."

Rogers was even more dominant for Lamar Consolidated High School. As a senior he racked up an 8-2 record with a 1.24 earned run average and 109 strikeouts. He walked just 10 batters and added a perfect game to his resume. That was following a junior season in which he went 14-2 with a 1.62 ERA, striking out 118 in 135 innings.

Just drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 39th round, Rogers will put the pro game on hold and head to tradition-rich Arizona State to play ball.

"I have always wanted to go there since I was 7," Rogers said. "I saw them play a few times when I was young. That was a big deal. My parents gave me a gift to go to like a pitching and catching camp. I went there and did well and I just loved the atmosphere on the field. That was one of the big deals. It was like home."

I'll have an interview up with Trevor Kirk tomorrow, but to whet your appetite, here's a pre-draft article on him that we somehow missed:

CSN BASEBALL: Kirk survives, flourishes

Matt Youmans

Nothing was going right for Trevor Kirk as he auditioned for a roster spot on the College of Southern Nevada baseball team. He made a poor first impression, and was unsure if he would get a second chance.

"I probably was about to get cut," he said. "I was a little bit scared."

The freshman from Silverado High School had reason to be concerned, according to Coyotes coach Tim Chambers.

"He was just terrible. He couldn't hit anything and he couldn't catch," Chambers said. "He wasn't going to make the team."

Then the unexpected happened. Not only did Kirk narrowly avoid being cut in the fall, he earned a starting job in February and developed into one of CSN's top players.

The second-seeded Coyotes (35-18) will play the College of Southern Idaho (31-22) in the NJCAA Region 18 tournament at 1 p.m. today in Carson City.

Kirk, 6 feet and 175 pounds, barely batted his weight in the fall, when CSN played about 50 scrimmages.

Chambers charted every at-bat and said Kirk hit about .180 while splitting time between shortstop and second base.

"I was hitting a buck-something. It was horrible," Kirk said. "When I was playing second base, I was making a lot of errors. When I would go hit, I was scared to strike out.

"Chambers was asking me a lot if I wanted to redshirt or not. That was fine because I just wanted to stay around the program. I wanted to stay no matter what. I just didn't want to get cut. I got lucky."

Kirk's second chance came when Chambers moved him to right field. He adapted quickly and started to hit, and he never stopped hitting.

"You could actually see it immediately in the body language," Chambers said. "It was probably the most unbelievable thing I've seen as a coach. I'm in shock."

Kirk leads the Coyotes with a .366 batting average in all games. He has 30 RBIs and 28 steals in 30 attempts.

Third baseman Justin Mishalow, a sophomore from Green Valley High, is third in Scenic West Athletic Conference games with a .372 average. Kirk ranks fifth, batting .367 in conference games.

Second baseman Scott Dysinger, a freshman from Bishop Gorman, batted .361 in SWAC play, but he almost was cut, too. Chambers said Dysinger hit .108 in fall scrimmages.

"Dysinger has been unbelievable, too," Chambers said. "We just hoped he would be a solid backup."

Kirk said a change of position was what he needed.

"I never really played outfield, but I like it out there. It's fun in the outfield," he said. "I sort of lost my tight ass when I went to the outfield. I knew I couldn't lose anything. I was already pretty much cut.

"But now everything is good. The first part of the season, I felt like I was hitting a beach ball. I couldn't miss it."

If not for Chambers' close relationship with Silverado's coaches, who recommended Kirk, Chambers said Kirk would have been cut.

Kirk needed surgery on a torn labrum in his right, throwing shoulder in February 2007 and missed almost all of his junior year in high school.

His only offers to play college baseball came from CSN and Western Nevada, and his stay with the Coyotes almost was cut short.

"Our coaches are great. It's very fun, and it's a good program," Kirk said. "I talked to some friends who went to college other places, and they hate it. But I love it here."

http://media.lvrj.com/images/3544553.jpg

http://media.lvrj.com/images/3544552.jpg

College of Southern Nevada right fielder Trevor Kirk, middle, relaxes in the dugout with teammates Jordan Keegan, left, and Ryan Thomas during Tuesday's practice in Henderson.

Photo by Jason Bean/Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Brad Schreiber of Kimberly selected as Gatorade Wisconsin player of the year

Tim Froberg

Brad Schreiber of Kimberly was selected as the Gatorade Wisconsin baseball player of the year

The award recognizes outstanding athletic excellence, high academic standards and exemplary character on and off the field. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound pitcher and first baseman is a finalist for the Gatorade national baseball player of the year.

Fellow Papermakers athlete Claudia Harke, who was named the Gatorade Wisconsin softball player of the year, said she has been wowed not only by the zip on Schreiber's pitches, but his bat speed.

"He hits the heck out of the ball and throws it right by people," said Harke. "Plus, he gets great movement on his pitches. I've sat behind the plate a few times when he's pitched and he really messes up those hitters. It's crazy."

As a sophomore, Schreiber helped Kimberly win the 2007 WIAA Division 1 state baseball championship. An all-state selection, he has secured a scholarship to Division I Purdue.

Schreiber is such a talented hitter that the Boilermakers might even give him some opportunities at the plate when he's not pitching.

"They want me first as a pitcher, but said they'd give me a chance to hit, too, which would be awesome," Schreiber said. "If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but they're definitely going to give me that opportunity."

This spring, Schreiber had a .368 batting average with seven homers and 32 RBI, while going 9-2 on the mound with a microscopic 0.62 ERA and 79 strikeouts in 56 innings.

He was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 42nd round of this year's Major League Baseball draft. Schreiber, though, is a level-headed type who knows that his best option will likely be heading to Purdue.

"It was definitely a surprise when the Brewers called," Schreiber said. "I didn't expect to get drafted because a lot of teams knew I had a good scholarship to Purdue. I'm still keeping my options open because you never know what could happen and it's tempting, but it's about 90-10 that I'll go to Purdue."

I wonder if he got the $800K he was looking for:

McKelvie signs with Brewers

Whiteville (North Carolina) News Reporter

East Columbus High School athletic standout Demetrius McKelvie signed a professional baseball contract with the Milwaukee Brewers organization Wednesday and traveled to Arizona Sunday to receive an assignment with a Rookie League team.

McKelvie, who graduated from ECHS earlier this month, was selected by the Brewers in the 25th round of the recent 2009 Major League Baseball Draft .

ECHS baseball coach Karl Bracey said that McKelvie signed at his home Wednesday an undisclosed amount.

The 6-foot-3, 200-pound McKelvie is a left-handed hitter with home run power and exceptional speed on the bases. He was a three-time All-Waccamaw Conference and All -Columbus County performer in both baseball and football at ECHS.

During his senior season with the Gator squad, he carried a .476 batting average. Many observers during the spring had the Gator standout pegged a possible selection in the top 10 rounds.

McKelvie, who last summer played in the Area Code Games in California, had last fall signed a baseball grant-in-aid to play baseball at Marshall University with an option to try out for the football team.

"Demetrius has plenty of potential as a baseball player," Coach Bracey said. "The Brewers are not only getting a great athlete, but also a great individual, who loves to work hard and compete hard. He should do well."

http://www.whiteville.com/content/articles/2009/07/01/sports/doc4a48bfdd21d0e923951304.jpg

Kimberly's Brad Schreiber selected as The Post-Crescent's all-area prep baseball athlete of the year

Cory Jennerjohn

Quick Hits

Position: Pitcher/first base.

Year: Finished senior year.

Family: Parents, Jim and Maria; brothers, Eric, 23, Mitch, 16, and Scott, 13; sister, Alyssa, 21.

Highlights: Was 10-2 on the mound, with 89 strikeouts and 25 walks and a 0.90 ERA. ... Maintained a .377 batting average, with seven doubles, seven home runs and 35 RBI. ... Was a unanimous first-team Fox Valley Association selection. ... Named the Wisconsin Baseball Coaches Association player of the year for the second straight season. ... Named 2009 Gatorade Wisconsin baseball player of the year.

How much are you going to treasure your time at Kimberly?

"I think everything has been great. Many high school baseball players don't even get to make it to state and I got to make it three years in a row."

What kind of a coach is Ryan McGinnis?

"I think the record tells you. We lost four games in conference the last two years. He'll always be on you to get better, no matter what you're doing."

Who is your favorite major-leaguer?

"Albert Pujols."

Are you bummed about steroids rumors?

"There are so many guys that have been getting caught. Albert Pujols didn't get caught, and I don't think he takes steroids."

The Brewers drafted you in the 42nd round. Were you shocked?

"I thought I had a chance of getting drafted, but it was pretty cool when (Brewers scout) Harvey Kuenn (Jr.) called. The Brewers were my favorite team growing up."

You could have a chance at playing in Fox Cities Stadium four straight years.

"That would be pretty awesome."

You have a standing offer from Purdue University. Are you going to Boiler up?

"Right now, I'm leaning towards Purdue, but I'm keeping my options open."

What other schools were interested in you?

"Northern Illinois, Jacksonville, Indiana State and Ohio."

Did Kimberly shortstop Jamison Wells say anything about his going to Northern Illinois?

"He was talking to me for a while, telling me I should get my butt down to Northern Illinois."

If your next coach says you must choose between pitching and batting, what would it be?

"I would have to go with pitching. I just like to be able to go out on the mound and control the game if you throw strikes. Ever since I was little, I always enjoyed pitching a lot."

What do you need to work on at the next level?

"I would definitely say, No. 1, is I have a changeup but I don't have good control of it. And then I need to get better control of my fastball."

What the experts say

McGinnis, Kimberly coach: "He truly understands that he needs to get better each day and that there are always things to work on. He has a lot of ability, but he would not have been as successful as he is without the drive to get better each day. He not only has gotten better, but he makes others around him better and his team better because of this. We will miss that even more than his pitching and hitting abilities."

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Rice Owls pitcher, Mike Ojala

Nate Griffin

One of the walking wounded, Rice Owl pitcher, Mike Ojala, is rehabbing quite well following Tommy John Surgery to repair the UCL in his right elbow back on June 18th, 2009.

"Rehab is going great. Planning on being back in action sometime next spring for either Rice or the (Milwaukee) Brewers. I'm excited to go either way."

To recap, Ojala was selected by the Brewers in the 34th round of the Major League Baseball Draft conducted June 9-11, 2009.

Even though he had limited outtings on the mound, Ojala would go on to have a stellar 2008-09 season. He went undefeated at 5-0 and maintained a team-leading 2.17 ERA with one save in 66.1 innings of work.

Ojala's ERA never rose above 2.20 at any point during the season. He would finish second on the team with 74 strikeouts and third in innings pitched. Ojala held opposing hitters to a .249 batting average while averaging 10.0 strikeouts per 9.0 innings.

Ojala is in the process of negotiating terms with the Brewers and hopes to have resolve very soon. "Hopefully, I'll be wrapping things up by the end of July."

Meanwhile, Mike Ojala continues to rehab and prepare for next season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Kimberly pitcher Brad Schreiber to decide between Purdue or Brewers

Brett Christopherson, Appleton Post-Crescent

Got a question for you all to ponder as you rub the sleep out of your eyes:

What should Brad Schreiber do?

At 18 years old and with a bright future still waiting to be charted, should he choose the dream offer or go with the chance to actually touch the dream?

First, the offer: Schreiber, who graduated from Kimberly this past spring, has been handed a 90-percent-paid scholarship that would bring his talented right arm and sweet swing to Purdue University.

Not only are we talking the opportunity to play Big Ten baseball, but the estimated cost for a non-resident to walk PU's hallowed halls this upcoming school year is - swallow hard - more than 37 grand.

That's a whole lot of free schooling from a pretty swank place.

A no-brainer, right?

Well, that brings us to the dream: Schreiber received a nice little surprise last month in the way of an unexpected phone call. It was Harvey Kuenn Jr., an area scout with the Milwaukee Brewers, with the OMG! news that the Crew, Schreiber's favorite team growing up, would be selecting the kid in the 42nd round of the annual amateur draft.

Pro ball? Brewers? Maybe even get to play in front of the hometown crowd as a member of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers?

A no-brainer, right?

"This hasn't been as bad as trying to make a decision on what college to go to," said Schreiber, a 6-foot-3, 215-pound standout pitcher and first baseman who guided the Papermakers to the WIAA Division 1 state title in 2007, a runner-up finish in '08 and state tournament appearances the past three seasons.

"It's (Kuenn's) decision on how good he thinks I am or what kind of prospect I am. We'll see if the Brewers come up with any numbers or what Harvey Kuenn is going to end up doing. I'm just going out there and playing baseball. And whatever they think, they think."

Quite a few have been glad to share their thoughts as Schreiber continues to mull his next move.

The consensus is he should go to school, where he could further his growth as a player and a person while fortifying his life through a quality education.

And who knows? Maybe he'd get drafted again. Maybe in a much higher round.

"I was talking to the Purdue coach, and he said he never had a guy that came in drafted and then his junior year was drafted lower or didn't get drafted," said Schreiber, who's spending his summer playing amateur ball with the Menasha Macs. "So the odds are good there."

According to the rules of Major League Baseball's first-year player draft, a team "retains the rights to sign a selected player until 11:59 p.m. (EDT) Aug. 15, or until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college on a full-time basis."

Also, the rules stipulate if a player opts for school, he wouldn't be eligible for the draft again until he completes either his junior or senior year or reaches at least 21 years of age.

So for Schreiber, choosing the Boilers over the Brewers would mean forgoing a pro career until 2012 at the earliest. And then there are no guarantees.

"But you have to realize that if you sign a contract, you're not signing a contract with the Milwaukee Brewers, you're signing a minor-league contract with no guarantees," said Boilermakers coach Doug Schreiber (no relation), who considers our Schreiber "one of the marquee" guys of an eight-player recruiting class.

"If he does come here, he's not saying no to pro baseball. What we've talked about is, these next four to five years of your life are, hopefully, going to set up your next 40 years of working. You want to make sure the decision you make is going to help you have a career and make a living and support a family and all of those things you want to do. College is never a bad option."

Agreed, but allow yours truly to play devil's advocate. Sure, if all goes well these next three seasons, Schreiber would seem to have the kind of mad game that would keep the scouts' antennas raised high.

He went 10-2 for the Papermakers this spring with 89 strikeouts and a 0.90 ERA and hit .377 with seven home runs and 35 RBI - totals that landed him state Gatorade player of the year honors, as well as his second consecutive Wisconsin Baseball Coaches Association player of the year plaque.

As a junior, he finished 6-2 with a 1.27 ERA and belted eight homers, drove in 47 runs and hit a sizzling .536.

But say the kid goes to Purdue and blows out his arm. Or he scuffles. Or he's derailed in some other way. Bye-bye draft. Bye-bye pro contract. Bye-bye dream.

"And I think that's what's hard for an 18-year-old," said Kimberly coach Ryan McGinnis, another college advocate. "That's why, in his case, he has to talk to several people and try to get all sides. The fourth-graders in our youth hitting leagues don't understand. What they see in Brad now is a Brewer. What they don't see is you could be in some rookie ball league making 1,200 bucks a month, sleeping in a hotel, eating fast food and being with a whole bunch of different guys that have a multitude of interests. And oftentimes, their interests are not baseball first.

"I think there's a lot to be gained from college. I just don't think you're given that same support system in minor league baseball. It's sure a long way to Miller Park if he were to sign. It's definitely a dream, and it's a dream he wants to fulfill. But he can still fulfill that by going the Purdue route."

To his credit, Schreiber hasn't been coy when asked the direction he's leaning, saying he's 90 percent certain he'll choose Purdue.

He gets that his game still needs polishing, and what better place to apply a little elbow grease than at the college level?

He knows taking a breather from his studies to pursue pro ball and then trying to get re-acclimated to the classroom should his career sputter could jeopardize his chances of securing that all-important degree.

And he understands very few have gone from being a late-round pick out of high school to having a nameplate in a major league clubhouse.

"Two of my younger brothers have actually played in the minor league system," said Schreiber's father, Jim. "So we've gotten some advice.

One graduated from college and played about six years, and the other went straight from high school into the minor leagues, played two years and didn't think that was the right decision for him after looking back on it.

"Nothing's a given, that Brad might be drafted again in the future. But from my perspective, I understand the value of an education, especially in today's economy and today's world. … We'll certainly give our input, but he's the one who will make the final decision. I'd be shocked if he said he'll sign with the Brewers, but I'd certainly respect his decision."

Schreiber said that decision should come around that Aug. 15 date, or shortly after the Brewers - Kuenn has continued to scout him through the Macs - present their formal offer.

Will he go the safe route and take the dream offer? Or does he gamble and go for the dream?

"I know Purdue is one of the best schools in the Big Ten," said Jamison Wells, another Kimberly standout and graduate who's good friends with Schreiber and will be playing college baseball next spring at Northern Illinois. "It would be nice to get a diploma from a Big Ten school. He'll probably go with college - unless the Brewers offer an amazing amount of money, which I'm not sure would happen.

"But it's a tough decision, I guess."

What would you do?

Kimberly's Brad Schreiber is deciding whether to attend Purdue University or sign with the Milwaukee Brewers. (Post-Crescent photo by Dan Powers)

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20090719&Category=APC0206&ArtNo=907190560&Ref=AR&Profile=1016&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

• 2 weeks later...

Archived