Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-50

At Lex's request, I rephrased some of the stuff about his high school experience. I like reporting interesting stories, but I don't fancy myself so much of a journalist that I'm willing to get a kid in trouble.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to infer... nay, that was a personal choice.

I'm not going to rip the kid to shreds nor did I want to appear like I was taking issue with Battlekow's work when that wasn't my intent, so for once I was intentionally vague. I'll just say that even though I wanted a projectable HS LHP I won't be heartbroken if he doesn't sign and leave it at that.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Interesting interview with Lex, to say the least. He was surprisingly candid and said some things that made me cringe, but I don't expect an 18-year old to be well polished when it comes to speaking in PC cliches that are "safe" answers. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif It'll be interesting to see if the Brewers think he's worth the money he's commanding.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Had to infer... nay, that was a personal choice.
It was also a personal choice to judge someone negatively without explaining why. If your intention was to make a post so vague that it disqualified any need for response or discussion, congratulations, you succeeded. Why post something if it's not something you want to discuss? This is a forum, after all, why shouldn't you expect me to respond to your post?

I hope this kid does pitch well, and I hope the Brewers do sign him. The organization needs all the talent it can get, whether the personality is abrasive or it isn't, which is something we wouldn't be able to judge from a quick interview anyway.

I made comment, you wished to debate it, I have no interest in doing so because the issues are very complex and elaborating requires me to trash the kid and his family which isn't my place. I also have a vast amount of respect for Battlekow and the work he puts into getting all of the interviews, news items, his contributions to the discussions in the minor league forum, in addition to the work he puts in at BCB and I didn't want him to think I was lashing out at him in anyway.

I voiced my opinion, that's it from my perspective. I don't always have to write a book to defend my opinions, especially when the interview is filled with obvious red flags from start to finish.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Wow I'm 100 percent wit u tyguy. There is no reason not to like the kid for what he said during the interview (which great job battlekow by the way) he seems like a good kid. What it's a red flag that his parents want him to get a education? Really? Or that he wasn't happy he didn't get to show his talent his junior year? You'd be to and your naive if you say you wouldn't be upset if you had that kind of talent. I really want to know why you don't like him. Cuz he thinks he is a great prospect in his mind? It's called swagger and that makes players great ask Braun. College means something to people and like the kid said he wants to play his parents want him to go to school and get an education so the money needs to be worth passing college up. College is awesome I loved it and would trade it for the world if he wants to experience it he is an aweful kid? You amaze me with you vague sentence on a fan forum that you won't discuss. Read it again he sounds like a kid who got screwed out of a lot by his coach and I know the feeling of that except I couldn't go d1 and to the sec but get more grants for d3 private school. He sounds like a good kid who has a lot to prove over the next few months

Once again thanks battlekow and awesome job! Also you talked to him not me but is that the vib he gave off because I tried to read between the lines and put myself in his shoes. He sound like a good typical high school athlete or well star athlete ha

I really love the part where you say you hate to trash a kid and family because they have values LOL priceless

Yes I know you didn't say that exactly but that's pretty much what your saying. I know if you were in his shoes you'd sign and be happy with what you were offer but if he wants to go to school and prove his worth good for him! He was only one season to show what he had and he made the must of it. Maybe he could be a first rounder in a few years maybe he gets injuries and never draft again but if people think your worth a fourth round pick after no track record a one good year well hey I'd try college to make a track record, work on myself and then try to get paid.

At the end of the day a team usually average 5 people a draft class that become decent major league players. There is no guarentee that you will get a second chance to make the money so if you can get it now and I hope lex does

oh and thecrew I don't mean to disrespect you because I think your a good poster and like a lot of what you say but for some reason this just didn't sit well with me. I just don't understand why or how you got such a bad vib. I mean usually you exaple things very clear and with that you throw it out there and hope it wouldn't catch. I'd like to hear without bashing what your take is... Came off cocky, arrogent or what not

I enjored the Lex Rutledge interview. He knows what he wants. He wants money or the education. The education is his priority unless he can be bought out of it. I also like that he has an idea about the taxes and whatnot...most never think of that. Although his numbers are a bit off. The government will take more like 35-40% of his bonus, not 24%. Most played I have experienced never reflect on things like that.

SPASH grad Sexton likely returning to Minnesota rather than signing with Brewers

Scott Williams

Cullen Sexton was flattered after being drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers for the second time in three years in the Major League Amateur Draft on Thursday.

But if the Stevens Point Area Senior High product is ever going to join the Brewers minor league system, he wants to be a more polished pitcher when he gets there.

"My plan is to come back and prove myself (at Minnesota)," said Sexton, a Plover native who was selected by Milwaukee in the 37th round with the 1,126th pick. He was also chosen by the Brewers in the 43rd round -- No. 1,276 overall -- out of high school in 2007.

"Before I make a commitment to move to the next level, I have to make sure I'm ready to compete," Sexton added. "I want to hone my skills and work on consistently performing at a high level."

As tempting as playing for the team he followed as a child might be, Sexton will put signing a professional baseball contract on hold for at least another season.

Sexton, a right-handed reliever, is currently working on fine-tuning his talents with the Wisconsin Woodchucks of the Northwoods League, a college wood bat summer league.

"I got a text from the Brewers organization saying congratulations," said Sexton, who recently finished up his sophomore season at the University of Minnesota.

"Obviously, it's a childhood dream to play professionally for the team you followed growing up."

His reasons for saying "no" to Milwaukee again is simple: Sexton doesn't feel like he's ready -- physically or from a production standpoint -- to make the jump to professional baseball.

This past college season, he went 4-0 with a save and a 5.16 earned run average for the Gophers coming out of the bullpen. Sexton posted a 2-3 record and 5.09 ERA, with two saves as a freshman.

He noted the shoulder injury that hindered him during his senior season at SPASH and during Legion baseball that summer is completely healed after successful surgery.

Professional scouts have indicated to him they view him primarily as a closer.

"With the injury I had, I kind of fell into the role of a closer and I've followed that same path in college, so I'm becoming comfortable with that," said Sexton, who throws in the 90 mph range.

Who knows? Maybe the third time will be the charm.

Sexton will be draft eligible again next season, and considering his relationship with the Brewers organization, you never know what might happen.

Obviously, there is something Milwaukee likes about him.

"I'm a tall, lanky kid who has the potential to fill out and maybe gain some velocity," he said.

"Coming out of high school, professional teams like to draft kids from their home state, and we've developed a relationship."

Brewers scout: We haven't offered Jacobbi McDaniel a contract
Andrew Carter

An area scouting supervisor for the Milwaukee Brewers told the Orlando Sentinel today that the team has not offered a professional baseball contract to Jacobbi McDaniel, the Madison County High football standout who is considered one of the best players in Florida State's incoming recruiting class.

"We have not made him an offer," said Ryan Robinson, the Brewers' scouting supervisor for the Tallahassee area.

The Brewers earlier this week selected McDaniel, a power-hitting third baseman on Madison's baseball team, in the 33rd round of the Major League Baseball Draft. In the days since, McDaniel had said that he'd been offered $800,000 by the Brewers to sign a contract.

Robinson, though, said that is not true.

"The kid has told us that he's going to play football and we have told him that if he changed his mind that we would reevaluate the situation," Robinson said. "There's never been an offer. And that can be on the record ? if he decides that he wants to play baseball, he would [be] reevaluated."

McDaniel, regarded by recruiting analysts to be one of the best defensive tackle prospects in the 2009 recruiting class, said during his senior season he batted .489 with 12 home runs and 55 RBI's for the Madison County baseball team. He said recently that he hasn't ever played baseball outside of school.

His lack of exposure in baseball didn't matter to Robinson.

"He's big, strong, athletic," Robinson said. "He runs for a big guy ? [he's a ] left-handed hitter with a lot of power."

If McDaniel had told the Brewers that he planned to play baseball and not football, Robinson said, "There is a great chance that we would have taken him much higher."

But, Robinson said, "We did not think that he was going to play baseball. He's been very clear with us."

Robinson didn't speculate where the $800,000 figure had come from, but made clear that the Brewers had not offered that ? or any other amount of money ? to McDaniel. Robinson declined to comment about how much Milwaukee might offer McDaniel if he does decide to pursue a baseball career.

Being drafted a 'dream come true' for Costello

Adam MacDonald

ALDOSTA - Matt Costello had one of the single greatest seasons in Valdosta State baseball history, and the Milwaukee Brewers recognized it.

Costello was taken in the 35th round by the Brewers on Wednesday with the 1,066th overall pick in the MLB draft.

"Honestly, it was probably the most amazing moment of my life," Costello said. "It's a dream come true. Words can't explain it. Playing baseball is the one thing that I love doing, and now I get paid to do it. You can't beat that."

In his one season at VSU in 2009, Costello had quite an impact. He was named the South Region Player of the Year while earning first-team All-America honors from Daktronics and second-team recognition from both Rawlings/American Baseball Coaches Association and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.

Costello batted .462 this season, while scoring 65 runs and driving in 69. He collected 22 doubles, a triple and 11 home runs, had a .733 slugging percentage and tied an NCAA Division II record by hitting safely in 13 straight at-bats in March.

While his offense was astounding, Costello was drafted by the Brewers to be a left-handed pitcher. He was 9-3 on the mound during the year with a 3.67 ERA. He recorded two complete games, allowed 98 hits and struck out 83 batters in 98 innings.

"I told (Milwaukee's scout) I'd be more effective as a pitcher," Costello said. "I got a little lucky batting .462, and he said that's exactly what he thought. I was told a couple scouts were interested in me as a hitter because the numbers were kind of crazy, but my best chances are as a pitcher."

"(The Brewers) are getting a guy with a lot of upside who's still going to get better," VSU head coach Greg Guilliams said. "His fastball touches 90 (mph), he has a good changeup, he's competitive and he's a strike thrower.... He has such a good arm and he's left-handed. There's a shortage of quality lefties out there."

Since VSU's season ended on May 17, Costello has been resting his arm in his hometown of West Barnstable, Mass. He's been playing in a summer collegiate league to stay fresh, but has only thrown one inning. Most of the time, he has been a designated hitter.

Costello was listening and watching the second day of the draft on his computer when he heard the name of fellow VSU teammate Brandon Graves being called by the San Francisco Giants. He stepped outside to call Graves and congratulate him, and actually missed hearing his own name being called 18 picks later.

"When I realized Graves was drafted, I was proud for him," Costello said. "He deserved it more than anyone."

Now it's on to the next step. Costello will fly out to Phoenix, Ariz., this weekend for a physical. Shortly after that, he expects to be sent to Montana to play for the Helena Brewers of the Pioneer League, the Advanced Rookie League affiliate of Milwaukee.

"My goal before was to get my foot in the door," Costello said. "Now it's to get to the big leagues. I played in the Cape Cod League, and they say that's the equivalent to high-A. I think if I can get through high-A or AA, the sky is the limit."

Scouts told Costello what he needs to work on most is developing a breaking pitch. At VSU, he relied mostly on his changeup, and he said he can currently touch 90-91 mph on his fastball.

After school ended, he drove up to South Carolina to throw a bullpen session for the Cincinnati Reds, where he worked on developing a slider.

"The slider was around 83 (mph) and touched 86 (mph)," Costello said. "There's no telling where it'll be in a couple of years."

And, of course, his one year under Guilliams proved to be vital.

"Coach Greg has all kinds of ties," Costello said. "He's had tons of guys drafted before. Playing for him is unbelievable, because he can say a couple of words and scouts are there. I know he's not at (VSU) to just be a pitching coach, but he's an unbelievable pitching coach, and Coach Todd (Guilliams) is an unbelievable hitting coach. I wouldn't be where I am now without them. I'd love to say thanks to everyone at VSU that helped me out."

http://images.cnhi.zope.net/images_sizedimage_165205107/lg

Pat Gallagher/The Valdosta Daily Times

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Madison County standout McDaniel decides on FSU

Committment will forgo pro baseball for college football

By Aimee Sachs

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Jacobbi McDaniel thought he had it all figured out.

He was so certain he wanted to play football at Florida State, the defensive tackle from Madison County committed to FSU a year before his signing day.

But then his world was rocked on Thursday when McDaniel found out - much to his surprise - that the Milwaukee Brewers had selected him in the 33rd round of the MLB Amateur Draft.

McDaniel was shocked because he had already told Brewers scout Ryan Robinson that he intended to go to college. But when the big leagues call, you don't take it lightly.

McDaniel spent much of the weekend soul searching.

He decided on Saturday that he would stay the course at FSU - because his first love is football, but also because he felt the Brewers had retracted a pre-draft offer of $800,000.

"For me just to walk away from football was going to be a big thing," McDaniel explained. "And I told (Robinson) the only thing that was going to make me walk away from football was the money they were going to offer."

McDaniel said he had been texting the Brewers about money in the days leading up to his selection. He said he saved many of the messages, and even shared them with FSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher.

McDaniel said the day before he was drafted, a Brewers scout texted him: "What would it take for you to play baseball?"

"I said $1 million to $1.5 million or better," McDaniel said. That's when McDaniel said he was offered $800,000.

Robinson wouldn't specify the amount that was discussed, but did specify the context of the exchange.

"I said, 'Would you sign for that?'" Robinson said. "But he said no. But that was just gauging his signability. That doesn't mean that was what we would have given him. The most important thing here is there was never an official offer."

Robinson said the Brewers "fully expected" McDaniel to stick with football, but their interest in him was very real.

"If he ever changed his mind, we wanted to be the team that drafted him," Robinson said.

But the stress of the last week has taken a toll on McDaniel enough for him to say he doesn't feel like playing baseball anymore. His mother, Darlann Choice, believes differently.

"He always played all three sports ever since he was 5," Choice said. "I'm sure that's in him to play baseball as well as football."

If he decided to pursue professional baseball, McDaniel would have had to lose 50 pounds and convert from third base to first base. And then there's the nonstop travel schedule of a minor-league team - and the uncertainity of that elusive big-league call-up.

"I'd rather go to college and be happy," McDaniel said, "than be on a bus for eight hours a day being miserable."

Madison County graduate Jacobbi McDaniel, right, will forgo a career in professional baseball to play college football at Florida State. (PHIL SEARS/Democrat files)

http://cmsimg.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CD&Date=20090616&Category=FSU03&ArtNo=906160322&Ref=AR&Profile=1008&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Final thoughts on the Jacobbi McDaniel saga

Andrew Carter

Jacobbi McDaniel contacted me yesterday evening and during the course of our conversation said, "I didn't want you to think I was lying to you." I didn't. And neither should anyone else.

It has been an interesting stretch of days for those who have followed McDaniel's story. Perhaps the most decorated football player in Florida State's incoming recruiting class, McDaniel, a multi-sport star at Madison County High, was drafted last week by the Brewers in the 33rd round of the Major League Baseball Draft.

After the draft, McDaniel said the Brewers had offered him $800,000 to play baseball. Then, on Saturday, I spoke with Ryan Robinson, area scouting supervisor for the Brewers. He told me no such offer had been made. Then, in a story published today in the Tallahassee Democrat, Robinson made it seem as though the Brewers had in fact offered $800,000 to McDaniel.

So I called Robinson again, this morning, and asked him about the Brewers' offer.

"You've got to ask all these kids what's it going to take for you to sign," Robinson said. "And if they tell you 1.5 [million], you say, well, what about $200,000. You're trying to gauge their signability before you take him."

According to Robinson, the Brewers' talks with McDaniel went something like this:

Brewers: Will you sign for this?

McDaniel: No, I'm playing football.

Brewers: How about this?

Brewers: How about this?

Robinson said several dollar figures were thrown out there, but nothing concrete.

Still confused, I asked Robinson directly, "Did you offer McDaniel $800,000 to sign?"

And Robinson, once again, said no. He started to say, "Absolutely not," but then stopped himself.

"We don't offer over the telephone," Robinson said. "We would make him an official offer in person. It was just gauging [his interest]."

During our talk last night, McDaniel, a defensive tackle who will play football at FSU, stuck by the $800,000 figure. He said he had received it via a text message. And that he'd shown it to others. McDaniel didn't need to explain himself. I never doubted that he honestly believed the Brewers had offered him that amount of money. And I certainly never thought he'd just manufactured the number out of the clear Madison air.

What is clear, though, is that both the Brewers and McDaniel have been confused with one another. According to the Brewers, McDaniel was always going to play football and never considered playing baseball. According to McDaniel, he was considering baseball - and might have played it had the money been right. According to the Brewers, no $800,000 offer was ever made. And according to McDaniel, that offer was made.

I asked Robinson why there seemed to be so much confusion.

"He's a really good kid," Robinson said. "And you know, he may have just misunderstood. But he's a great kid."

There's no denying Robinson's last statement. During several conversations the past few days, McDaniel has maintained his poise and composure amid a situation that had to be frustrating and tense for him. And that he contacted me last night with a desire to explain himself shows a kind of maturity that not a lot of people his age possess.

##

While we're on the topic, a couple final, final thoughts.

I've received a lot of criticism for a blog I wrote in this space on April 22. The blog I wrote called into question the validity of a Warchant.com article that suggested baseball scouts were "salivating" over McDaniel. My primary criticism of the story was that it offered no perspective. It said scouts were salivating but quoted no scouts. It said McDaniel might be offered a significant amount of money to play baseball, but it contained no insights from draft experts or even from McDaniel's coaches.

I made a few calls. Two people at Baseball America had never heard of McDaniel, and he wasn't listed in their prospect databases (this would be akin to a football prospect not being listed in the Rivals.com or Scout.com databases, which would mean that prospect is relatively unknown). I spoke to a respected Florida-based scout. He had heard of McDaniel, but said it'd be unlikely that he'd be a high draft pick because he'd made it clear that football was his future.

I didn't write anything that was factually incorrect. Even so, the tone of what I wrote suggested it was ludicrous for anyone to believe that McDaniel could be a viable baseball prospect. I was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong about that. I admit it. I own it.

McDaniel will be on campus on Saturday. He said he's ready to go. I can believe him.

Draft day brings different feelings for Terriers

Bill Doucet

Chandler McLaren and Mitch Clarke are at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

McLaren is just happy to be drafted by a major league baseball team, while Clark is wondering why he slipped down the ladder to the 19th round, when he was projected to go much higher.

McLaren, a 17-year-old outfielder with the Terriers, wasn't even ranked by the MLB Central Scouting Bureau, but he turned a few heads in March in Florida when scouts were lining up to see teammates Clarke and Jeff Hunt. Hunt was drafted in the 15th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers last week and Clarke was taken by the Cincinnati Reds.

The Guelph native caught the eye of the Cincinnati Reds, Milwaukee Brewers and Seattle Mariners, and come draft day, the Brewers grabbed him in the 29th round. The Brewers didn't even invite him to a pre-draft camp in fear that another team might hear about him and scoop him up. That was before they realized two other teams coveted him, too.

"They were the only scouts who really saw me because I didn't have a lot of exposure," McLaren said near the end of a Terriers 8-3 loss on Sunday in Game 1 of a doubleheader against the Ontario Blue Jays at Riverside Park.

"All the other teams know what players you bring to your camp, so Jay (Lapp) was talking to my dad saying that he didn't want to bring too much attention to me and kind of hide me from other teams. But then he found out later Cincinnati and Seattle asked.

"It was nice (to get drafted). It was kind of unexpected at the same time because I was only put on the radar in March, so it happened really fast."

McLaren knew that it would be one of two teams that would take him, so going to the Brewers wasn't much of a shock.

"It was between Seattle and Milwaukee, because I had a pretty good connection with the Seattle scout. Wayne (Norton) and Jay were the two scouts that always talked to my dad, and Jay came to my house to talk to my parents and tell me what the draft was like and the minor leagues."

The question now is: what to do? McLaren can sign with the Brewers or continue looking at his NCAA options.

"I'm not 100 per cent sure," he said.

"I have a late birthday so I can come back and play another year with the Terriers, too. But if I did end up signing I could actually do two years of rookie ball, so that would work out well because you get a lot of repetition when you play. I'll just see how it plays out."

MLB draft 2009: Oregon recruit Altobelli drafted by Milwaukee in 49th round

Jeff Smith

Oregon recruit J.J. Altobelli was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers on Thursday in the 49th round of the Major League Baseball first-year player draft.

Altobelli, who was the 1,486th overall selection, is a high school shortstop from Newport Beach, Calif. The 6-foot-1, 190-pounder batted .455 as a senior and .456 as a junior.

Oregon coach George Horton also raved about Altobelli's defense and expects him to compete for a starting job if he chooses to come to Eugene. Horton said Altobelli is a little under the radar because of shoulder surgery one year ago that limited his defensive playing time.

Even while recovering from the surgery, Altobelli remained in games as a designated hitter and excelled.

Here's his complete UO recruiting bio:

J.J. Altobelli SS ? R/R 6-1 190 Newport Beach,Calif./Woodbridge HS

Scouting Report: Led Woodbridge HS and finished fourth in the Sea View League with a .455 (40-for-88) batting average in 2009...also finished fifth in the SVL with a .659 slugging percentage and fourth with nine stolen bases...scored 29 runs with 17 RBIs, nine doubles, three triples and one home run...as a junior in 2008, led Woodbridge and the SVL batting .456...named first-team all-Sea View League and second-team all-county by OCVarsity.com...in 2008 had 41 hits, 26 runs scored, 13 RBIs, four home runs, a .515 on-base percentage and .722 slugging percentage.

Schreiber undecided

Dave Boehler

Kimberly senior Brad Schreiber has about two months to decide whether to sign with the Milwaukee Brewers or play at Purdue University.

"I'm keeping my options open, so you never know what can happen," said Schreiber, who allowed three earned runs and 11 hits in a 4-3 loss to Wilmot. "I have to make my decision by Aug. 15, I believe [it's actually the 17th]. I really can't say right now."

Schreiber was drafted by Milwaukee in the 42nd round last week.

"It was pretty sweet because ever since I was a little kid, my favorite team has been the Milwaukee Brewers," Schreiber said.

He will play in a wood-bat league for Menasha this summer after three years on varsity at Kimberly.

"He continues to get better," Kimberly coach Ryan McGinnis said. "He's still got a ways to go and he knows that. Mechanics-wise, he needs to get more consistent. But he's got an outstanding breaking ball, obviously a very good fastball and he's got the development of a curveball."

MLB drafts 3 Keller ISD players

Randy Sachs

Three players with Keller ISD ties were tabbed by Major League Baseball teams during last week's entry draft.

Picked up in the 21st round by the Milwaukee Brewers was 2009 Fossil Ridge graduate Brian Vigo-Suarez, as a shortstop. Vigo-Suarez was the 646th overall pick.

The Cincinnati Reds picked up former Keller player and recent Lubbock Christian University graduate Will Stramp. He was the 989th player selected and although he switched to the outfield in his senior season at LCU, the Reds have initially noted they see Stramp at his previous position of third base, but that second or the outfield are still potential slots.

Trading in his Keller Indians jersey for a potential Cleveland Indians uniform is Max Muncy. He was taken at pick number 1,235 as a catcher.

For Vigo-Suarez and Muncy, decisions are still to be made as to whether to take a pro offer or to follow through on collegiate commitments.

Vigo-Suarez has signed with Navarro Junior College, while Muncy has committed to Baylor.

Both said they will continue their summer league seasons and will wait for offers from their respective teams to weigh against playing college ball. Once they enter college they would not be eligible for another pro draft until after their second year of college enrollment.

Nonetheless, the excitement for all three is understandable, as a childhood dream could be fulfilled.

Vigo-Suarez and his family moved to Keller at the start of high school from Puerto Rico to make the most of opportunities of education and baseball.

"We're really surprised about the round," Vigo-Suarez said of the 21st round selection. "My parents are very happy and really proud."

The same pride and excitement was conveyed by Vigo-Suarez's head coach at Ridge, Doug Dulany, who commented that he had received some attention earlier in the fall, but was also surprised by the higher round selection.

"I'm really happy and proud of him," Dulany said.

Dulany's previous highest-round draft pick was six years ago when a player went in the 48th round.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Rice Owls Pitcher Mike Ojala---from Super Regionals to MLB Draft to Tommy John Surgery

Roughly three weeks ago, Mike Ojala was getting ready to pitch game one of the NCAA Houston Regional at Reckling Park versus Sam Houston State University. The Rice Owls would go on to defeat the Bearkats May 29th on their way to winning the Houston Regional versus Kansas State on Monday, June 1st, and advance to the Super Regional in Baton Rouge, June 5th and 6th.

LSU was the opponent. The starting pitching assignment, once again, per Rice Skipper Wayne Graham, went to Mike Ojala. Heading into the weekend series, Ojala had the 3rd best ERA in Division I College Baseball at 1.72. The Owls would suffer defeat Friday and Saturday cementing their season at 43-18 and elimination from CWS contention.

However, the baseball world and Major League Baseball, in particular, would take notice of the successful season the Owls would experience and select five of their draft-eligible players in the MLB draft that took place June 10-11, 2009. One of those would be Ojala---selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 34th round of the MLB draft.

"It was pretty awesome---it was a blessing. I really didn't think I was gonna go actually. It was pretty cool to see my name get popped up on the screen. I was excited."

The Milwaukee Brewers also drafted one of Ojala's college teammates, outfielder Steven Sultzbaugh. The two could, at some point, become teammates at the Major League level.

"Sultzbaugh is a great guy. We become pretty good friends this past year. I hope both of us end up taking that road and we can play together. We'll see how it goes. He's up in Cape Cod playing right now trying to get a little more ball in between his discussions with the signing."

Looks like the Brewers made two really good decisions, especially with Ojala. The numbers speak for themselves. In 2009, he went undefeated at 5-0 and maintained a team-leading 2.17 ERA with one save in 66.1 innings of work. Ojala's ERA was never above 2.20 at any point during the season. He would finish second on the team with 74 strikeouts and third in innings. Ojala held opposing hitters to a .249 batting average while averaging 10.0 strikeouts per 9.0 innings.

Pretty amazing stats---especially since Ojala has suffered through the season with an elbow injury that kept him out of the starting lineup and off the mound for a portion of the season. But, he wasn't the only Owl who played through pain this season. Ryan Berry and Chad Mozingo, to name a few, also suffered through the season with nagging injuries that at times kept them off the field. In fact, Mozingo played with a broken hand and TWO badly sprained ankles and is scheduled to undergo a procedure to repair ligaments in one of his ankles on Thursday, (today), similar to that of Anthony Rendon. More on Mozingo coming up in a future article. But, long story short, the injuries made it tougher for the Owls to continue their winning ways, says Ojala.

"That was a huge blow to our team. But, I was very, very proud of how everybody came together. The chemistry on our team is just unbelievable. It was great! Our defense was solid and sound. And our bats were taking care of the pitchers. We had some ups and downs. But, it was a great team to be a part of this year."

There was one specific key reason why Ojala really enjoyed this year's team and why they played so well. "I think it's very, very hard to find a college team, or even a professional team or any team at any level that every single person on the team loves everybody else. On and off the field, we were always together. I don't think you could find one person on the team that could say something negative about somebody else. The chemistry was pretty unbelievable. So, you know, a lot of those guys return next year. I hope that vibe kinda sticks with it."

Speaking of sticking with it, the bigger question is for Ojala---whether or not to return to Rice for his final season of eligibility and graduate or sign with the Milwaukee Brewers. He will have Tommy John surgery on Thursday, (today), to repair the injured elbow. It's a typical pitcher's surgery. Rehab will take 9 to 12 months. "I will be taken care of very well no matter if I'm with Rice or the Brewers. So, I'm very blessed."

Here's the deal. The Brewers drafted Ojala which gave them the right to talk with him and possibly sign him to a contract. He has until August 17th to decide whether to sign with the Brewers or forego the opportunity and return to Rice to play the second half of the 2010 seaon. Either way he decides, he will rehab with Rice or with the Brewers.

Should he decide to remain at Rice, he will be able to finish his education and graduate next year with a degree in Economics and enter the 2010 MLB Draft. However, if he signs with the Brewers, Ojala is hoping the Brewers will show flexibility in allowing him to complete his degree plan.

"That's my number one goal---my mom would kill me if I didn't get my school done as soon as possible and I'm right there with her. I hope that through my negiations with the Brewers that I can get my school done first and foremost and then kinda go from there."

Meanwhile, Ojala is hoping for the best after the Tommy John's surgery on Thursday.

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/IMG_0383(6).JPG

Shortstop joins pro ranks
Daniel Chalcraft

Kyle Dhanani was a bundle of mixed emotions and frazzled nerves as he listened hopefully for his name to be called during last week's Major League Baseball draft.

And then, finally, relief, when the Milwaukee Brewers selected him in the 43rd round.

"I was pretty nervous, and when my name came up I was pretty relieved (since) I didn't expect to go that early," said the 21-year-old Thompson Rivers University shortstop, who grew up playing ball in the White Rock-South Surrey Baseball Association and still calls the Peninsula home.

"It didn't fully sink in (at first). It is a big step to be moving forward and it is big for my career... it's a dream come true."

The six-foot-two, 195-pound infielder signed a pro contract almost immediately, and has his ticket punched for Helena, Mont., where he'll play in the Pioneer League for Brewers' advanced rookie league team.

After a stellar campaign at Thompson Rivers University - where he batted .356 - Dhanani was on the radar screen of a number of Major League teams prior to the draft.

In addition to his high batting average, he also hit four home runs and stole 30 bases and was named to the first-team all conference team.

His performance caught the eye of Peninsula native Marty Lehn, who happens to be the Western Canadian scout for the Brewers.

Brewers' scouts think Dhanani has the ability to play second base, shortstop, or third base in the pros - similar to current Brewers utility infielder Craig Counsel.

"(Kyle) has got a big league arm and above average baseball instincts," said Ray Chadwick, the head coach at TRU. "When he got here three years ago he worked hard and it paid off for him."

Dhanani - who was the second former White Rock Triton selected by Milwaukee, after Chad Stang went in the eighth round - was "the offensive spark plug for our team," Chadwick added.

Earlier in his playing days, Dhanani spent time at Lehn's Big League Experience baseball camp in Oliver, and he also spent time as a youngster playing under former Little League coach Al McNabb.

"He was focused, easy to coach, and of all the kids, he was the one that I could see making it to the majors," McNabb said.

http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/400*362/25683whiterockdhanani-01.jpg

With Brewers' scout Marty Lehn watching, Kyle Dhanani signs his first professional contract.

It is funny to me that Dhanani said he did not think he would go that early. He went in the 43rd round. Unless I am reading it wrong and he meant he did not think he would go early, but was not saying the 43rd round was early.

Bellbrook junior eyes Major League Baseball draft
Standout player hopes to follow Classics' teammate lead
Dave Long

BELLBROOK - The Major League Baseball amateur draft is no longer something that Jon Thacker just reads about online or in text messages.

A Bellbrook High School junior, he is getting to know what the process is all about through Austin Pressley, a teammate on the Dayton Patterson Park Classics summer baseball team.

Pressley, a recent graduate of Franklin-Monroe High School, was taken by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 23rd round of the amateur draft June 9-10. The 706th player taken, the 6-foot-5 right-handed pitcher has to make a decision. He could sign with the Brewers and end up in a rookie league or continue playing with Patterson Park and at Sinclair Community College.

"It's different when one of your teammates get drafted than just hearing or reading about it," said Thacker. "You see what they and their parents are going through. All the things that go into deciding whether to go pro or not."

Thacker, a pitcher/infielder, could be in the same position as Pressley in the next few years.

He is one of the area's top baseball prospects. This spring he hit .515 for Bellbrook with 28 RBIs. He was one of two area players to make the Ohio High School Baseball Coaches Association Division II All-Ohio team (honorable mention). He was on the coaches All-Area squad and first team in the Southwestern Buckeye League all-league team.

Plenty of scouts and college coaches will see him play this summer either in one of the 60-plus games Patterson Park has scheduled or in scouting showcases.

"I'm like every other baseball player. I hope I get drafted," said Thacker. "Seeing what Austin is going through and talking to him gives you a good idea of what to expect if it happens."

A utility worker

Unlike Pressley, who has a 90 mph fastball, Thacker is more of a utility infielder who also pitches. His best asset is his bat.

"Jon is an outstanding athlete so he can do a lot of things," said Bellbrook coach Tony Chitwood. "He's got great bat speed, a great eye and is a good contact hitter.

"He hits for power and average. He didn't get to see a lot of good pitches this spring because teams would pitch around him. In summer ball they can't do that. So he'll get to swing the bat."

Thacker played mostly first base for Bellbrook. For Patterson Park he has been at second and third base. "It doesn't matter where I play as long as I'm in the lineup," he said. "I guess first base would be my best spot when I'm not pitching.

"I don't have a blazing fastball like Austin, but I throw in the upper 80s, have good breaking stuff and my control is good."

Archived