Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-50

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From Wednesday's Day 2, colbyjack challenged us to learn about Ohio high schooler Austin Pressley, the only "mystery man" among the top 30 picks. From October '08, on the small-school player --

F-M's Pressley tuning up his baseball, golf games

Versatile athlete who helped Jets capture sectional links title is also drawing scouts' attention as a pitcher

By Dave Long

Dayton Daily NewsStaff Writer

PITSBURG - Austin Pressley hasn't lopped as many points off his earned run average as he has his golf score.

There isn't much room to maneuver when your ERA is already hovering around 1.00.

On the golf course, however, "there's always room to improve," he said. "I'm hitting the ball a lot longer this fall, but my short game wasn't real consistent.

"If I had hit my irons better, it would have set up easier putts. But I played pretty well for not playing much in the summer."

Pressley is a senior at Franklin-Monroe High School and one of the area's better small-school athletes.

He was the Cross County Conference Golfer of the Year, averaging 35.9 strokes per nine holes.

That's down from 40.1 last season. He was the medalist at the CCC conference tournament, shooting a 72 on the Beechwood course in Arcanum as F-M won the conference title.

His short game inconsistency showed at the Division III sectional at Moss Creek in Trotwood on Sept. 24.

He shot an 81, but F-M was still able capture one of only a few sectional championships in school history, shooting a 341. Arcanum was second at 348, National Trail third at 366 and Bethel fourth at 370.

Nate Feitshans was the Jets' low scorer at 78, which earned him medalist honors. Pressley came in with his 81 followed by Gavin Glasscoe at 88 and A.J. Boutwell at 94.

All four teams are at the D-II district tournament today, Oct. 2, at the Weatherwax course in West Middletown, hoping to qualify to the state meet next week in Columbus.

"It's always kind of been my dream to make it to state in golf, basketball and baseball," said the 6-foot-4, 200-pound Pressley." But that's pretty hard to do. If I had my choice to go to state, it would be baseball."

As with his golf, Pressley has had a breakout year as a pitcher. He was a first pick on the Division IV All-Area last spring. Over the summer he pitched for the Patterson Park Classics, one of the state's amateur programs.

"I'd been with the Extreme Cardinals for a few years and they merged with Patterson Park," he said. "Before this summer. I pitching against 16- and 17-year-old competition.

"Patterson Park was a big jump because I was going against 18- and sometimes 19-year-old guys who could really swing the bat. I used to just rely mainly on my fastball and a change-up.

"But this summer, working the Rick Castle (Patterson Park pitching coach), I really learned how to pitch."

Pressley first got scouts' attention a couple of years ago when he hit 90 mph throwing in summer ball. This past summer he was consistently in the 85-88 mph range for Patterson Park.

His most impressive outing came at the end of July, when he threw at no-hitter in the championship game of a tournament in Indianapolis.

His potential as a Division I college and pro prospect got him invited to the Buckeye Prospect Showcase in early September to work out for college and pro scouts.

He again was impressive enough to get the attention of several Division I schools.

After graduating from Career Tech Center next spring, he plans on pitching at Sinclair Community College for two years before making a decision on whether to attend a four-year school or see if he is drafted.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.tallahassee.com/gcicommonfiles/sr/graphics/common/adlabel_horz.gifFSU football recruit Jacobbi McDaniel selected in MLB draft
Aimee Sachs

Jacobbi McDaniel was relaxing in bed at his Madison County home Thursday afternoon when he heard the news about being selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 33rd round of the MLB Amateur Draft.

The FSU-bound defensive tackle and third basemen was just hearing the news of his selection for the first time when he was reached for comment.

"I was?" McDaniel exclaimed. "I (didn't) even know."

Indeed, McDaniel had been in touch with a scout from the Brewers, but said he did not expect to be drafted because of his plans to play football and baseball at Florida State.
McDaniel was the 1,006th overall pick.

"Just the fact that I got selected in the MLB draft period -- I'm shocked," McDaniel said.

http://cmsimg.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CD&Date=20090611&Category=FSU06&ArtNo=90611005&Ref=AR&Profile=1001&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Madison County's Jacobbi McDaniel watches as his hit clears the Florida High center field fence for his 12th home run of the season in their Class 3A District 3 championship game Thursday, April 30, 2009 in Tallahassee, Fla. (PHIL SEARS/Democrat files)

Theres an FSU fan on the Rivals national board saying that the Brewers offered Jacobbi McDaniel 800K.
I just asked him about it and he confirmed it.

EDIT: Though an FSU guy just sent me an email saying that McDaniel is "very tight" with the subscription website that reported the offer, intimating that perhaps there's some deception going on. Oh well, we'll find out soon enough. Doesn't sound like he would sign for $800k anyway.

Fatse drafted by Brewers in 24th round
Bob Schron

Peter Fatse, of Hampden and the University of Connecticut has been drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers of the National League.

"I'm very happy, it's an exciting time," said Fatse Thursday. I'm happy that it was the Brewers who drafted me."

Playing right field or the Holyoke Blue Sox of the New England Collegiate Baseball League this summer, Fatse was stretching in pre-game warmups on the field when he learned of the news.

My coach came over to me and congratulated me," he related. "I said, 'Omigoodness!'. I went into the dugout.

"There were seven missed calls on ny cell phone."

Fatse will meet with the Brewers Friday morning at his home and will ideally have more information about making a decision.

In his senior year at Minnechaug, he hit .527 with staggering power stats: .595 on base percentage and 1,014 slugging.

He has proven to be a potential five tool player at UConn, starting every game last season and batting .289.

He was 19-19 in stolen base attempts whil also contributing 19 extra base hits and scoring 35 runs. Fatse earned a spot on the NEIBA New England College Baseball All-Star team.

"I'm happy because Brian Sankey (Brewers scout) weas so supportive to me," he said.

The decision to go forward with the Brewers is not yet done.

"We'll go over everything," he said. "This is like a dream come true because I've always to play. I'm hoping this is the right fit because it seems like such a great opportunity."

The Brewers would send him to the Helena (Montana) Brewers.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

50th round catcher Darren Farmer (June 7th pre-draft article)

He's much more than an all-star now

Todd Kelly

clarionledger.com (Mississippi)

Darren Farmer finished his career as the most prolific hitter in West Lauderdale (MS) High School's storied baseball history.

Maybe that's what a chip on the shoulder and an extra dose of motivation do for a player.

Arthur Farmer still remembers going by Phil Hardin Park on the north side of Meridian each summer at his son's urging to check the freshly posted all-star roster.

"Darren's name was never on it," Arthur Farmer said. "He handled it well, but you could tell it upset him. Right there, we would go straight to the ballfield and start working. We'd plan to be out there for 30 or 40 minutes, but it would it turn into three or four hours. He just kept working and working and working - and now's it really paid off."

An afterthought in youth leagues, Farmer is recognized today as Mr. Baseball on The Clarion-Ledger All-State team for 2009.

Coach Jerry Boatner - a man who's won 12 state titles and coached three big leaguers in his remarkable tenure at West Lauderdale - can't imagine any other selection after Farmer's spectacular senior season that included a school-record 18 home runs, 60 RBIs and a .535 batting average for the MHSAA Class 4A champions.

"Darren had the best offensive season in the 41 years I've been coaching," Boatner said. "He was great during the year, but he was unreal in the playoffs. A lot of folks intentionally walked him, but he still probably hit over .600.

"We wanted to move him to the outfield, but we ended up needing him back at catcher. He called pitches and was a great leader for us."

Boatner, 64, is quick to credit Farmer's long hours of practice with his father. The player hasn't forgotten the routine - but how could he?

"I always liked to hit," said Farmer. "But before he'd let me hit, my dad would make me go to left field and I'd practice there. Then I'd go to center field and practice there. Then to right field and practice there. Then I'd go the infield positions and practice there. Then I'd pitch. Then, finally, I'd get to hit.

"But if it wasn't for all that, I wouldn't be half the player I am."

A preseason Dandy Dozen pick, Farmer's stock climbed steadily as word spread about his eye-popping statistics. A full academic qualifier who graduated with a 3.6 GPA, Farmer signed with Meridian Community College after attracting interest from Jackson State and UAB but little from more high-profile Division I programs.

One major league scout from Mississippi suggested the 5-foot-10, 195-pound Farmer could crack the top 10 rounds - or even top five - in the Major League Baseball draft that starts Tuesday.

"Darren's a five-tool player in my opinion," Boatner said. "He can hit, hit for power, run, throw and field. I think his best position is outfield, which is where he started with that super bunch we had (that won 4A) in 2007. He's got good instincts, plus he doesn't overswing like a lot of big power hitters. He puts the ball in play really well."

Farmer delivered a pair of clutch singles on 0-2 counts in the 4-2 victory over East Central that clinched the 4A championship at Trustmark Park on May 18.

"We developed a brotherhood," Farmer said. "At the beginning of the year we weren't that close, but we went on that run at the middle of the year and got how a team was supposed to be."

Farmer's success at West Lauderdale wasn't limited to the diamond. He rushed for nearly 3,000 yards in three years at wingback.

"Darren had the talent and the toughness," Knights football coach Stan McCain said, "and he was always going to work at it. He made himself into a great player and great leader for us."

While Farmer has retired his football pads, he's not sure where he's headed next with his baseball career. The Giants, Padres and Brewers organizations seemed to have shown the most interest.

"It all depends on where I go or how much money I get offered on whether I sign or go to college," said Farmer, who grew up rooting for the Atlanta Braves.

"My dad has told me if the money's good and it's really something I want to do, then go for it."

If Farmer decides to leave his baseball, bass fishing and deer hunting buddies in Lauderdale County, he plans on remembering the advice passed on from his father.

"When I was younger, people would always tell me I couldn't do stuff like play college baseball or college football," Farmer said. "They'd say, 'Nah, that's too hard to do.' But my dad would always say to me, 'Don't let people tell you you can't do something.' He was always there to pick me up when I was down."

http://cmsimg.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=D0&Date=20090607&Category=SPORTS06&ArtNo=906070321&Ref=AR&Profile=1117&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Brewer Fanatic Staff

43rd round infielder Kyle Dhanani (June 4th Pre-draft article)

Dhanani hoping to hear his name called

For anyone who's ever picked up a ball and bat, playing Major League Baseball is a dream. For a member of the Thompson Rivers University Wolfpack (Kamloops, Canada), he'll move a step closer to that dream beginning Saturday.

Shortstop Kyle Dhanani from Blaine, Wash. is one of a few top prospects to be invited to Miller Park in Milwaukee for the Brewers Prospect Evaluation Camp.

"A bunch of prospects will practice and play against each other," said Dhanani, who was a Canadian Colleges Baseball Conference first team all-star for the second year in a row in 2009.

"We are going to go through hitting, infield, outfield and play a few games."

The six-foot-two-inch, 21-year-old had a banner campaign hitting .352 with 48 RBI, four homers, six triples and 16 doubles.

Dhanani stole 30 bases as well in the spring.

He is also being looked at by other Major League teams including the Los Angeles Angels.

"It's a bit nerve racking, but it'll be a great experience if anything." he said.

WolfPack head coach Ray Chadwick says the invite to Milwaukee is a major feather in Dhanani's cap

"It's really good for him. They are inviting only the top 30 or 40 players that they are interested in."

"The West Coast scouts have seen him and know what he can do, but the rest of the organization doesn't," Chadwick said.

"If he does something phenomenal, he will definitely move his stock up the priority list."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Kimberly baseball player Schreiber expected to stick with Purdue

Appleton Post-Crescent

Kimberly High School senior pitcher Brad Schreiber, who was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers with the 1,276th pick of the Major League draft in the 42nd round Thursday, expects to stick to his game plan.

Schreiber, 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds, is likely to attend Purdue University this fall and play baseball. He has a full ride with the Boilermakers.

"I'd say it's about a 90-10 percent chance that I'll go to Purdue," he said. "Getting an offer from the Brewers is really awesome. I've followed them for so long and the Timber Rattlers are now their minor-league team.

"But I still think I will go to Purdue to get an education because that's what you need these days, and I can keep up my baseball skills there."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

38th round infielder Casey Stevenson (UC-Irvine) -- article blurb

Coach Mike Gillespie said Stevenson falls in the draft-and-follow category. He will be evaluated over the summer before potentially being offered a contract lucrative enough for him to sign.

Stevenson hit .346 with three homers, 41 RBIs and eight stolen bases in 2009. A second-team all-conference honoree, he was eight for 15 in the Irvine Regional to make the all-regional team.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

30th round infielder Brandon Sizemore (College of Charleston) -- article blurb

John Leonard, Waynesboro Generals co-owner and publisher of the All Things Valley League Web site, a popular VBL fan site, said that Brandon Sizemore was picked later than he expected.

"I think Brandon Sizemore going in the 30th was disappointing," he said. "There are always guys you expect to go higher that don't."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

17-year-old 29th round outfielder Chandler McLaren (Ontario)

Guelph's McLaren drafted by Brewers

GuelphMercury.com

Tony Saxon

Mercury Staff

It was a trip to Florida last fall that put Guelph's Chandler McLaren on the radar of major league baseball teams.

Wednesday the Guelph CVI Grade 12 student was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the Major League Baseball amateur draft. The 6-foot-4, 185-pound outfielder was taken in the 29th round.

"It feels great," McLaren, 17, said yesterday. "I wasn't really expecting it and I was kind of surprised by how fast it happened."

McLaren was the second Guelph player drafted in as many days. On the first day of the draft the Cincinnati Reds took Josh Garton in the 12th round.

McLaren played for the Intercounty Terriers elite team. He hadn't even considered professional baseball, thinking more of trying to get an NCAA scholarship.

"I was just hoping I could use baseball to continue my education," he said.

That all changed in March.

The Terriers made a trip to Florida and scouts started to take notice of the hard-hitting outfielder with the strong arm. On a Terriers trip to Arizona last fall had been hampered by an injured ankle.

"I did really well down in Florida and a lot of scouts saw me and started to show up at my games up here," McLaren said. "It helped that two other guys on my team were getting drafted too."

McLaren travelled to Cincinnati and Seattle for workouts, but Milwaukee didn't invite him to a workout, instead using London-based Canadian scout Jay Lapp to assess the Guelph player.

McLaren said Milwaukee was hoping to keep him off other teams' radars by not inviting him to a workout.

"Once you go to a workout all the other teams find out," the lefthanded hitting McLaren said.

Apparently the Brewers are eager to get him signed and playing rookie ball this summer. They like his makeup and feel his frame will fill out and he'll be a power hitter. His father, Carey, is doing the negotiating with the Brewers.

If a contract can't be worked out, McLaren plans on returning to high school for a fifth year and then either turning pro before the next draft or signing an NCAA scholarship.

McLaren, who also played for the Guelph CVI Green Gaels team this spring, said his late emergence this year left it a bit late for NCAA schools to offer him a baseball scholarship for this fall.

Photo by ROB MASSEY, MERCURY STAFF

http://media.guelphmercury.topscms.com/images/bd/9f/11ecdb61482784d1d146be37620a.jpeg

Draftee faces tough career decision

Cary Osborne

When many players are selected in the Major League Baseball Draft, they are put in a difficult situation.

Saugus High graduate and former College of the Canyons infielder Casey Stevenson is in that situation.

Stevenson was taken in the 38th round of the 2009 Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers.

The UC Irvine junior, though, has his senior year ahead of him.

So it puts him in a situation where he has to make one of the biggest decisions of his life.

Live the dream or delay the dream, if that dream is still there in a year.

"It's going to be a tough decision," Stevenson said. "I'm 100 percent comfortable with going to school next year and getting an education and getting closer to my degree.

"There are a lot of pluses and minuses. (Staying in school means) another year to develop as a player in college - that's a positive I can get out of coming back to UC Irvine if I can play as well as I think I can play. As far as signing, I get to go out and play pro ball a year earlier. The money will be more unless I improve my draft status (next year)."

For many players, it's the dollars that makes the decision for them.

Stevenson said he may have scared some teams off with his demands.

He's not sure where he would have been drafted had he pitched a lower dollar amount, but it was likely a lot lower than the 38th round.

But Stevenson has the bargaining power now.

If Milwaukee doesn't sign him by August 17, they lose his draft rights.

Any team could grab him in the next year's draft.

So teams don't like to run that risk.

But Stevenson has his own risks.

Get injured or have a bad senior year and your draft stock plummets. Maybe you won't get drafted at all.

Valencia graduate Jared Clark rolled the dice three times before being drafted Wednesday in the 12th round by the Colorado Rockies.

After his senior year at Valencia in 2004, he was taken in the 19th round by the Houston Astros, but decided to keep his scholarship to Cal State Fullerton instead.

In 2007 he was drafted in the 21st round by the Cleveland Indians, then the 45th round by the Los Angeles Angels last year.

He ran the risk and still managed to come out on top.

Some players, though, can't resist.

Valencia's Casey Mulligan had a scholarship to Fullerton, but was taken in the 22nd round by the St. Louis Cardinals.

He ended up signing with the Cardinals.

Stevenson, 21 years old, has seen a very steady rise since being a solid player for Saugus.

There were better players than him in high school and Stevenson ended up at College of the Canyons where Chris Cota had a bold prediction for him two years ago.

Cota said he would be a professional baseball player.

It wasn't until he played at COC that he hit a home run.

Stevenson has continued to grow in two seasons at UC irvine.

He said he has grown from being a singles hitter to a doubles hitter with some power.

His 2009 numbers reflect that as he batted .346 with 19 doubles, three home runs and 41 RBIs.

Before last year, teams were able to hold onto players draft rights until the following year's draft.

It was called a draft and follow.

Major League Baseball instituted a rule change to shorten the signing period before last season.

Nonetheless, the Brewers are taking the next couple of months to see what they will offer Stevenson.

He will play in a summer league and said the Brewers are very interested in seeing what he can do during that time.

The deadline to sign is still two months away.

"I'm very comfortable with whatever decision I make," Stevenson said.

http://media.morristechnology.com/mediafilesvr/upload/santa_clarita/article/0612_sports_Stevenson_01.jpg

Casey Stevenson looks at a pitch as a senior at Saugus High in 2006.

Was that article really meant to be written with a new paragraph for every sentence? Hard to read...
Cary Osborne smirks with disdain.

http://media.morristechnology.com/mediafilesvr/upload/santa_clarita/profile/large/CaryOsborne_.jpg

Hmm... I'm not so sure I like this kid at all.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

DHANANI SIGNS WITH MILWAUKEE

lread

Thursday June 11, 2009 will go down in the life of Kyle Dhanani as one of the best ever. The Thompson Rivers University WolfPack baseball player realized a dream. Dhanani was not only chosen in the Major League Baseball Draft, but he also signed his first pro contract.

The Milwaukee Brewers inked Dhanani, a two time Canadian College Baseball Conference All-star to a minor league contract just hours after selecting him in the 43 rd round of the 2009 Draft (1,306 th overall).

"The last two days have been quite stressful but its been worth it for sure," says Dhanani, who had a Brewers rep ink him to a deal later in the day at his home in Blaine, Washington. "I thought I might go earlier, but due to the lack of exposure, they (the Brewers) were able to get me in the later rounds whichis find by them but it was pretty nerve wracking watching the rounds get higher and higher."

Dhanani impressed at the Brewers prospect camp earlier in the week and is projected to play third base with their organization. The drafting and subsequent signing culminated in Kyle fulfilling a promise he had made to his mother, Larissa. " I told my Mom when I was little that I'd buy her a fancy dress if I ever made it pro," he says. "So I'll have to follow through with that promise."

Dhanani was watching the draft via the internet "I was sitting at home by myself when I got the call and then I saw my name pop up on the screen. Pretty crazy stuff."

Following his signing, he will head to Helena Montana and play for the Brewers Rookie league team.

Even though he has started his lifelong dream, he hasn't forgotten about where he came from and his Thompson Rivers University WolfPack teammates. " I didn't even play in my first year of school so you never know what can happen if you keep at it and work hard. I hope to be an inspiration to Canadian Collegiate players with not much exposure."

DUGOUTS: Kamloops Daily News Sports Editor Gregg Drinnan did a little research into the TRU/MLB draft history: " Dhanani, a two-time CCBC all-star, is the fifth player to be drafted out of TRU. The others: Pitcher Adam Arnold, Milwaukee, 2007; catcher Paul Wourms, Los Angeles Dodgers, 2005; pitcher Ryan Patterson, Milwaukee, 2004; and, catcher John Suomi, Oakland A's, 2000. . . . Arnold is with the Kalamazoo Kings of the independent Frontier League. . . . Suomi, who suffered a major knee injury while in Oakland's organization, signed with the Kansas City Royals during the offseason. He now is with the Double A Northwest Arkansas Naturals who play in the Texas League out of Springdale, Ark. Suomi was hitting .320 going into (Thursday, June 11 th) action.

http://wolfpack.blog.mytru.ca/files/2009/06/tn_kyle-dhanani-runs-to-first-3.jpg http://wolfpack.blog.mytru.ca/files/2009/06/tn_dhanani-in-the-field-throwing-to-first.jpg

Sporting News blog blurb on Richard Stock:

Interestingly, the Milwaukee Brewers selected Agoura Hills (Calif.) HS catcher Richard Stock, brother of starting USC catcher, Robert Stock. Richard possesses a plus arm from behind the plate, notching pop times as low as 1.85. His left-handed home run power is legit, but there are questions as to whether his 6-3, 185-pound frame will allow him to remain a catcher. His body has good size projectability, which means he's not done growing. A move to third base is not out of the question.

Hmm... I'm not so sure I like this kid at all.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with him admitting that it all comes down to money. He's just trying to get the most that he can, and why shouldn't he, there aren't any guarantees after that first signing bonus.

What makes you think that was the only part of the interview I had a problem with?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived