Brewer Fanatic

General Draft Discussion

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the next pick, I still like Von Rosenberg and Colvin if there signable, or college picks Dereck McCallum or Jeremy Hazelbaker.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Josh Prince?

Maybe we plan to rush him to the big leagues in hopes of being the first team in major league history to have a two players, one with the first name Prince and one with the last name Prince.

Anyone got any info on this Josh Prince guy?

Jim Callis just said he had lasik surgery and it made a ton of difference in his hitting ability. Maybe they selected him to see why it didn't work for Kendall and Hall.

Prince went to Texas before Tulane last year and batted .371 as a freshman. He struggled last year with Tulane hitting just .236

Edit - Apparently the average I found in his bio are much different than the ones showing he hit .353 last year

Ah my bad on that, I thought it was related to the fat comment earlier, I must have missed the injury dicussion while I was at softball showing off my walla power ha. Like do like our 2 high school picks at 73 and 74. Brewers have a good history with catchers in the top 5 rounds to bad none have made it quite yet. Anyone know more on Walla beside the power, and not great speed

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2008-2009/teamcume.html

Prince was an OBA machine this year with a .467, I'm suprised I never heard of him. He also had 48 steals, which is almost unheard of at the college level.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Robert Stock was one of the players at the Brewers pre-draft, and they were working him out as a catcher. I was pretty surprised to see him.

Davis isn't fat, and he isn't a low-upside pick. He's a pretty promising offensive performer that is built unusually short and thick...but definitely not fat. He has good bat speed as X noted and has 20 HR power and enough speed to steal 30 bases and leg out both doubles and triples. He has been somewhat bothered by injuries during his career, and he isn't really considered a CF. I have mentioned this before, but he's very similar to a LH hitting version of Shannon Stewart.

I was never a big fan of Harold Reynolds when he was with ESPN, and he certainly didn't do much justice of the MLB Network's draft coverage. They didn't take advantage of Jim Callis as much as they should have, as he should have been sitting at that front table. I'm not sure who the MLB scouting guy was, but he didn't add much value, and I'm surprised how little John Hart added as well.

The host interviewed me when he was with CSTV, and he clearly is paid to set up the personalities than adding anything original.

It could be a problem to have the table located in the middle of the floor with all of the teams, representatives and players sitting within ear-shot of the commentary. Jim Callis and Keith Law definitely need to be a bigger part of this, as do my own associates at PGX: Allan Simpson and David Rawnsley. I wish I could share why members from PG weren't invited to participate.

Prince was one of the top prospects in the NWL last year, and a pleasure to watch in the NWL all-star game. I'll add some links to him in his player profile in the official pick/signing thread, but he's a toolsy college shortstop that has good size, some power, a good arm, good range and very good speed.

just reading up on prince and sounds real good and comes from a big baseball family. Sounds like a hardy type defender not escobar flashy but like JJ makes all the plays. Nice bat to but had survey on elbow before this season so that helped with the .236 average this season

just reading up on prince and sounds real good and comes from a big baseball family. Sounds like a hardy type defender not escobar flashy but like JJ makes all the plays. Nice bat to but had survey on elbow before this season so that helped with the .236 average this season
I messed up earlier in this post. He batted .236 in 2008. This year he hit .361 with .481 OBP and Slugged .534 . This is from a John Sickels article about the most interesting college hitters in the draft.

Josh Prince, SS, Tulane

Hitting .363/.481/.534 with 30 steals in 35 attempts, Prince has overcome injuries and a subpar 2008 to re-emerge as an interesting prospect this year. He was very successful as a freshman at the University of Texas in '07, before transferring to Tulane. Very reliable defensively, he has been projected as a pick in the fourth to sixth round range, but if his bonus demands are reasonable he could go higher than expected due to his speed, defense, and decent strike zone judgment.

They didn't take advantage of Jim Callis as much as they should have, as he should have been sitting at that front table. I'm not sure who the MLB scouting guy was, but he didn't add much value, and I'm surprised how little John Hart added as well.
I completely agree. It's like they all read up on Strasburg so much and with all the hype he was getting that they didn't even bother to read up on anybody else. The quality of the guys in the booth was lacking in insight. Just a terrible job. Everybody was a good pick and a five tool player and athletic with a great body.

colbyjack wrote:

I wish I could share why members from PG weren't invited to participate.
You tease. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Man. I don't think I've ever been this pumped after a draft. If we would have got the first and supplemental for Sheets, my head might have exploded. Seid is going all out his first year.
Last year's Lawrie-Odorizzi combo was pretty exciting as well, but I agree - after yesterday's couple hour crash course in today's eligible players (and the high level of trust in the collective BF.net mind), I'm very pleased with the first few rounds.

(Nickname: Maxwell Wallabanger?)

Obviously, I'm esctatic with our 1st day. I truely believe Arnett is one of the top players in the entire draft. I also think Heckathorn, after some mechanical tweaks, has front of the rotation stuff. I wasn't familar with Prince, but he's exactly what I'd draw up for a SS draft pick. He has everything but power, and that could develop too.

As for Davis, if the Brewers took a Boras guy, they must really love him. I hope Scott didn't lie to us, and will now screw us over. Hopefully Davis can get back to the form that starred for Team USA.

Archived