Brewer Fanatic

General Draft Discussion

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that the announcers are too positive about every pick. Both Sanchez and Hobgood seem like they could have had negative comments said. I miss Kiper and McShay even though I think they are wrong a lot at least they have strong opinions.

I have never seen what the hype is about Mike Minor. He is very experienced, but doesn't dominate at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Why would Minor be taken with a top 10 pick? He's not high upside, he's doesn't have great stuff. He just seems like a #3-4 starter. I guess Atlanta wanted a safe pick now that their Georgia boys were gone. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

PGCrosschecker had Minor going 8 to the Reds and BA had him going like 16 with a comment that he would not last that long. I do not know a ton about these guys but Minor does not seem to be a reach compared to the mock drafts but the way people talk about him make his stuff seem questionable for that high of a pick

Was hoping Leake would last to Cleveland................hoping for Arnett.

Oh well.

Law said something to the effect that "the Brewers talked to the agent of a player that may slide due to signability reasons, but were rebuffed".

Anyone have any idea who that might've been?

I had the pleasure of watching Leake throughout college. As his numbers indicate, he stacks up with any college pitcher in terms of results. He doesn't have a huge frame, but simply knows how to pitch. Great control, great poise. Great pick by the Reds.

PGCrosschecker had Minor going 8 to the Reds and BA had him going like 16 with a comment that he would not last that long. I do not know a ton about these guys but Minor does not seem to be a reach compared to the mock drafts but the way people talk about him make his stuff seem questionable for that high of a pick
Minor wasn't an overdraft relative to the mock drafts because everyone anticipated him being overdrafted in the first place.

Minor wasn't an overdraft relative to the mock drafts because everyone anticipated him being overdrafted in the first place.
That makes sense. Was he an overdraft because he was signable?

Question for you guys...would Polythress (not sure that's spelled right) be a guy that would be a good pick for as a sandwitch pick? I'd like to sadly get Prince's replacement through this draft and really like his power, realizing the rest of his game as lacking. What would you think about that pick though?

Community Moderator

So what I've learned so far is that each one of these kids has a nice athletic frame and are clutch performers. Great kids that will fit great considering their teams' major league weaknesses.

Gah, this coverage is horrible.

I don't know about everyone talking about reaches as such a bad thing....I remember when people felt Braun was a little bit of a reach, until the week before the draft looked to be just a mid 1st round guy and LaPorta everyone talked about it being such a reach and they both are real good players that flew though the minors and up the top prospect list. MLB is not the NFL and NBA were teams trade up and down to get the guys they like so if Hobsgood is the top guy on their board take him, if Sanchez take him. I know everyone on here are pro scouts and crosscheckers that drive to all these guys games and showcases to watch all these guys play and all but everyone sees different things when scouting. Some fall in love with guys and others really don't like them. Thats why its impossible to do mock baseball drafts.

Man i hate listening to Bud Selig announce the picks, its like listening to a kindergarten teacher. With...the...2 6th ....pick in... the...2009.... firrrst year ...player draaaft theeee Milwaaaukeee Breewerss pick......

Its driving me nuts haha

While ESPNEWS' coverage of the draft is pretty sporadic (they break in with an update every so often sandwiched in between coverage for the NBA and NHL finals), when Keith Law is on he at least has interesting things to say. When he's not evaluating talent, he's explaining in layman's terms why a team would intentionally take a lesser player (like Pittsburgh did with the catcher from BC). While most people here probably already knew those reasons firsthand, it's nice that they're at least trying to explain why a team would do it and aren't pretending like every pick was at the top of that team's draft boards like it sounds every pick is being portrayed on MLBN.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I don't know about everyone talking about reaches as such a bad thing....I remember when people felt Braun was a little bit of a reach, until the week before the draft looked to be just a mid 1st round guy and LaPorta everyone talked about it being such a reach and they both are real good players that flew though the minors and up the top prospect list. MLB is not the NFL and NBA were teams trade up and down to get the guys they like so if Hobsgood is the top guy on their board take him, if Sanchez take him. I know everyone on here are pro scouts and crosscheckers that drive to all these guys games and showcases to watch all these guys play and all but everyone sees different things when scouting. Some fall in love with guys and others really don't like them. Thats why its impossible to do mock baseball drafts.

Man i hate listening to Bud Selig announce the picks, its like listening to a kindergarten teacher. With...the...2 6th ....pick in... the...2009.... firrrst year ...player draaaft theeee Milwaaaukeee Breewerss pick......

Its driving me nuts haha

Good points.

Archived