Brewer Fanatic

General Draft Discussion

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff
Yes, we had posted it about 12 hours earlier in our Minor League Forum, and actually, pinned the news above all the forums here as a featured thread. Brewers haven't confirmed it yet, but with bonus figures and such public (see Minor League Forum), looks to be a done deal.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There is way too much time between now and the August 17th deadline to start worrying about who isn't signed right now. Overall, picks are slow to sign this year.
I'm not so worried about signing vs. not, but losing time to work. I wasn't crazy about Lawrie sitting out all of last year, but at least he was playing with CA. I'd like to see these guys get in so they can start the development process (evaluating pitching deliveries especially). The results for draft year players might as well be thrown away, but its nice to see them get a body of work to evaluate over the winter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is there any site that talks about teams that had the best draft or discusses it?
Jim Callis at BA says the Brewers had the 4th-best draft:
4. Brewers. Milwaukee found some much-needed pitching in righthanders Eric Arnett (first) and Kyle Heckathorn (sandwich), both of whom went 10 picks later than they should have. Outfielders Kentrail Davis (sandwich) and Max Walla (second) could be steals too, while catcher Cameron Garfield (second), righthander Brooks Hall (fourth), lefty Del Howell (15th) and shortstop Scooter Gennett (16th) add more depth.

3. Mariners. Seattle rivaled Arizona's haul of hitters by spending its first six picks on outfielder Dustin Ackley (first), shortstop Nick Franklin (first), catcher Steve Baron (sandwich), first baseman Rich Poythress (second), third baseman Kyle Seager (third) and outfielder James Jones (fourth). Righthander Tyler Blandford (fifth) could be a bargain if he ever figures out how to harness his stuff.

Jack Z ... drafting bats?! Up is down, left is right!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Nah it's the same way he built up milwaukee's system, I don't necessarily agree, but it's worked, and they do have some nice arms in the organization already.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived