Brewer Fanatic

General Draft Discussion

Drama! The Brewers apparently had agreed to draft Keyvius Sampson at #39 but backed out:

The draft proved to be a fast-paced world of broken promises for Sampson and Scott Carpenter, who handled most of the negotiations.

We had an agreement with the Brewers for $851,000 at the 39th pick," Carpenter explained. "Then when we got off the phone (with Brewers), the pick had already been made. I don't understand how it works out like that."

The Brewers instead took Tennessee outfielder Kentrail Davis.

Then the Twins came calling at No. 46. Carpenter said that deal was set at $741,000. Minnesota then selected left-hander Matthew Bashore from Indiana.

The Brewers passed again later after another figure had been discussed, according to Carpenter.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just so you know, Del Howell doesn't go by Paul.

Tough luck for Sampson. I have spoken with players and parents about situations like that, and it is hard not to be upset about it. That's a lot of money, but it also serves as a reality check for players, as they shouldn't get caught up too much playing the numbers games with teams. He ended up falling to the 4th round to the Padres, so he should still get good money, but possibly close to half of what he originally agreed upon with the Brewers.

cheezscott, we've been putting together the official draft pick and signing threads for several years now. I know this got buried, but here you go:

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=13108

I forgot to mention this on Locker, but thanks for digging up that link battlekow. The guy is an incredible athletic talent, and if he had any inclination of switching to baseball he would be a legitimate early first-rounder (and probably would want a lot of money as well). He's going to get drafted as a QB either next year or the year after that, and I know he's excited to work with their new Head Coach at Washington (who IIRC is USC's former offensive coordinator).

From the MLB draft twitter:

In case you're wondering, making picks for Brewers in #MLBdraft is 12-year-old Todd Johnson. Nice job, kid!

I guess Seid hires his assistants young. Anyone know the story here?

Shouse = Kyle Heckathorn

That might wind up being the best 'comp pick player value' to 'departed FA player value' ratio in some time if the posters that think Heckathorn's delivery can be ironed out are correct. Front-of-rotation potential for letting an aging LOOGY walk? Yes, please.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Since I can't update the draft signing thread...from brewers.com:

"Two hours after the Draft concluded, Seid said that the Brewers had already signed or agreed to terms with 20 of their 53 picks. The Brewers typically make official announcements in bunches once the proper paperwork is filed, but the list of players already under contract includes third-round pick Josh Prince, a shortstop from Tulane; sixth-rounder Hiram Burgos, a right-hander from Bethune-Cookman; ninth-rounder Jonathan Pokorny, a left-hander from Kent State; and 10th-rounder Tyler Roberts, a high school catcher from Georgia. In addition, the team had come to terms with second-rounder Max Walla, a high school outfielder from Albuquerque who wowed club officials in a Miller Park workout last weekend, and was close to agreeing with another second-round pick, high school catcher Cameron Garfield. "

igor, it's also crazy given how the Brewers last year signed roughly double the picks they previously had. There's a ton of new guys coming to R/R+. The draft makes sense with lots of OF types, given that the organization is a little weak on raw power. Additionally, we drafted so many pitchers last year that there just can't be enough room for lots this year.

Obviously we need to wait and see on the talent produced, but one does have to admire the administrative efficiency it must take to get that many signed that quickly and in your first year in charge, especially knowing the organization had at least some scouting talent to replace on top of it. Just imagine the fun if we had 2 extra picks for Sheets. I do wonder if the Brewers would be able to recoup picks for him if he signs at all. I know the early take was that they "lost" them if he hadn't signed before draft day. But depending on how it's written couldn't they argue that if he signs now they get picks next year? Or if he went the whole season would he be reevaluated on Free Agent type system?

Bryson was a DFE wasn't he? Picks 15 and 16...

edit. Cripes, I meant the 15th and 16th round picks as Battlekow noted below.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Seems like most years we take a shot on someone with signability issues in the late teens or early twentys (RJ Seidel, Bryson, etc...). Anyone like that this year?
Del Howell and Scooter Gennett are great examples this year (15th & 16th round, respectively). As a more extreme case, Baseball America said Richard Stock (45th round) was a top-200 talent when healthy, but I'd imagine it's almost certain he follows his brother to USC.

Seems like most years we take a shot on someone with signability issues in the late teens or early twentys (RJ Seidel, Bryson, etc...). Anyone like that this year?
Kyle Hansen was in BA's top 200. He's 6'7", has big heat, and his brother is Pirates reliever Craig Hansen, a former 1st round pick.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I remember reading Howell's draft bio and wondering how a LHP that is 6'7" and throws in the low 90s can last until the 15th round... I think he is going to be my "I-hope-they-pony-up-the-money" draft pick this year...

Hansen at 6'8"? Wow. He can just hand the ball to the catcher.

So do we think that we can sign everyone from rounds 1-14 then? I know Davis is a question, but they drafted him so early, I got to believe they make the effort to sign him. At what round do they stop giving the compensation pick next year if you don't sign the guy?

It will be intreresting to see the final status on signings. With Jack Z running the ship, we usually signed our top 20 round picks (minus one or two that we either took a gamble on, or didn't gauge their money demands accurately), and then signed about 15 more, usually college players. As stated above , a couple of top 20 round picks were usually above slotted value using up the usual DFE money.

So the thing to follow is does a new 'boss' change the selections and their signings? Or is it really the local scouts who 'know' a guy will sign, and we keep our usual success rate of about 20-22 of the first 25 picks?

(I'm too busy at work to look up our actual signings/picks from the last few years, so correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Archived