Brewer Fanatic

General Draft Discussion

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking about this, where are the pitchers going to get their work in? Helena would almost have a full staff with last year's draftees who are still in EST... Would they push players like Lasker back to AZ in favor of some of the college pitchers who would also belong in Helena? Does Arnett skip Helena and head to WI, keeping someone like Odorizzi in rookie ball again? Do they dump some of the AA starters creating room for the players at A+ and A to move up? There are some interesting decisions to made pitching wise.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I was thinking about this, where are the pitchers going to get their work in? Helena would almost have a full staff with last year's draftees who are still in EST... Would they push players like Lasker back to AZ in favor of some of the college pitchers who would also belong in Helena? Does Arnett skip Helena and head to WI, keeping someone like Odorizzi in rookie ball again? Do they dump some of the AA starters creating room for the players at A+ and A to move up? There are some interesting decisions to made pitching wise.
Maybe they will go back to the piggy-back system at A ball to keep more SPs and less RPs at that level. I would be surprised if there isn't a large bump up at mid-season also (JJ, Anundsen, Wooten, Braddock to AA, Peralta, Meadows, Bowman, Scarpetta to A+). Does make quite a logjam, though.

They were able but chose not to. I'm with you though!

With a commitment to BC and getting noticed late in the process for the 2009 Entry Draft, the Brewers might have another chance to get the local lefty in 2012. Plus, at BC he might get to show off that .550 avg 21 XBH 5HR 37/38 SBs he put up as a Jr - all a tick better than ND-bound Charlie Markson http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Absolutely true on all counts and Tampa is aware of it so will they offer enough $$ to make it worth it. Some of the scouts wanted James to come to their place Sunday but James wants to end the season with his team. That might have put off some scouts but to me that shows a great team player. Why not one more fun summer before you have what's ahead of you? Congrats Kevin!

Ill never forget the Minnesota - Wisconsin game where Decker got into it with Jack Ikeguanu. It was a run play and he was blocking Jack and dropped to the ground and pulled out a Ric Flair groin shot on Jack. It was like something you would see in pro wrestling. Behind the Reynolds guy from Ohio State choking out Jim Sorgi that was one of the worst things Ive seen in College Football. Im not the least upset the Brewers didnt draft him again!
@WiscoSportsNut

Can someone fill in the blanks based on how the comp picks worked out?

LaPorta + Brantley = a couple months of Sabathia + _________________ + _____________________

Shouse = _____________________

Inman + Thatcher = a couple months of Linebrink + _________________ +_____________________

Anyone else over last couple of years that netted a comp pick?

Formerly JohnStumpyPepys

LaPorta + Brantley = a couple months of Sabathia + Kentrail Davis + Maxwell Walla

Shouse = Kyle Heckathorn

Inman + Thatcher = a couple months of Linebrink + Evan Fredrickson +Cutter Dykstra

You also have Cordero = Ordrizzi and Lintz

I think these are right but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

LaPorta + Brantley = a couple months of Sabathia + _________________ + _____________________

Shouse = _____________________

Inman + Thatcher = a couple months of Linebrink + _________________ +_____________________

LaPorta + Brantley + Rob Bryson + Zach Jackson = Sabathia + Kentrail Davis + Max Walla.

Shouse = Kyle Heckathorn.

Inman + Thatcher + Steve Garrison = Linebrink + Evan Frederickson + Cutter Dykstra.

Ben Sheets = nothing.

battlekow wrote:

Ben Sheets = nothing.

One final kick to the groin from ole Benny. I defended him to the end, but the lack of compensation for his departure I will never be able to forgive him for...

I was always in the Sheets was injury prone camp, but it appears to me that he was misdiagnosed by the medical staff, which led to him further injuring his arm, which led to surgery, which cost us 2 draft picks. If our medical staff didn't have a history of misdiagnosis and/or dragging their feet treating injuries I might be upset with Ben, but in this case I believe the Brewers did themselves in. Sheets was going to take the ball because he knew he was entering FA and had to make a statement so he certainly pushed himself some, but I still feel the majority of the blame lands squarely on the shoulders of the team. And no, I don't think Yost was anyway responsible for the injury. The problem I have with the system is that LAA and the Brewers should have had compensation picks 1 and 2 respectively for losing the top 2 Free Agents in the class, the system as it stands is just silly.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Wow we really got a bunch of good athletic OF's in the 1st 10 we got:

LF: Kentrail Davis(1) ----CF D'vontrey Richardson(5)-----RF Max Walla(2)

Khris Davis (7) ---- Chad Stang(8)

I like the potential these guys have, not sure if they will get Stang out of his LSU commitment but Walla, Richardson, and Kentrail Davis all sounded like they kind of wanted to sign quickly.

I cant wait til all the promotions start up, a lot of guys have deserved them. It will be interesting to see how the rosterS unfold.

Isn't Pokorny a reliever?
Yes.
I just watched his scouting video and I'm seriously wondering why he was a better choice than James? Where's the upside with this pick? With James at least if he flames out as a starter the potential is there for a decent bullpen role and he's young enough he could still add some velocity. I would have liked to get at least 1 projectable LHP SP out of the first 10 rounds, I say boo to this pick.

- Plato

- Plato

Going through more of the draft profiles and videos... Richardson ran a 6.2 60 yard dash, wow... I hope he settles in and learns how to hit.

Hall looks to be another kid with a big arm and plate potential, which got me wondering if Arnett will be able to swing the bat a little.

Burgos sounds a little bit like a poor man's Dave Bush.

Davis is intriguing, there's some upside there, though any time I read a description about a long swing I'm a little nervous.

Stang draws comparisons to Pence, that's intriguing.

Like many others I'm curious if they'll be able to sign Gennett.

- Plato

- Plato

I just watched his scouting video and I'm seriously wondering why he was a better choice than James? Where's the upside with this pick? With James at least if he flames out as a starter the potential is there for a decent bullpen role and he's young enough he could still add some velocity. I would have liked to get at least 1 projectable LHP SP out of the first 10 rounds, I say boo to this pick.
They could always try him as a starter and see where it goes.

I really like the pick of Paul Howell in the 15th round. Fastball in the low 90s and a good curveball. I hope we can keep him from going back to Alabama for his senior year.

Richardson ran a 6.2 60 yard dash, wow... I hope he settles in and learns how to hit.

No doubt, from his video he seems to have a good arm too, and was a QB at FSU, he's an impressive athlete for sure. He has good size too if he can develop some power...talk about toolsy. One of my favorite picks along with Walla.

I really like the pick of Paul Howell in the 15th round.

Same here.

I will be especially interested in seeing where our college guys- mainly Arnett, Heckathorn, Davis and Richardson- start and how quickly they can move through the system.

Archived