Brewer Fanatic

General Draft Discussion

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The draft starts 11:00 AM Cental time today.

Just think, the Brewers built the team they have despite having just 2 picks in the top 3 rounds 3 times in the last 9 years. This year we have 3 times that, and all have big upside.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Just think, the Brewers built the team they have despite having just 2 picks in the top 3 rounds 3 times in the last 9 years. This year we have 3 times that, and all have big upside.
This is the reason that I was so jacked for this draft. Our team has been home grown with way less to work with. Now, if the Crew can continue the magic the team could end up being loaded in another 3-5 years...after every draft.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I think that's the really exciting thing about this years' draft (and last years)- the major influx of talent from all the picks recently helps offset the guys have to trade to help make our runs very nicely. Should make whatever upgrade we go out and get in the next month or so easier to trade prospects for.

And major props X for getting two of the first three picks- it was hard enough to project the Brewers' picks when they were picking in the top 5-10, let alone in the 20's.

Davis isn't fat, and he isn't a low-upside pick. He's a pretty promising offensive performer that is built unusually short and thick...but definitely not fat. He has good bat speed as X noted and has 20 HR power and enough speed to steal 30 bases and leg out both doubles and triples. He has been somewhat bothered by injuries during his career, and he isn't really considered a CF. I have mentioned this before, but he's very similar to a LH hitting version of Shannon Stewart.

Physically he sounds similar to Kirby Puckett, which iirc someone already mentioned in this thread. I know you compared Davis to Shannon Stewart, Patrick, but saying, 'a LH hitting version of Shannon Stewart' and '20 HR power' mixes me up a bit. The 20 HR power bit makes me wonder if comparing him to Puckett is maybe a bit accurate, even if using it only as a way to say, 'If he reaches his upside...'

I have to chime in as the Nth poster to just gush over Day One. Arnett in the first round is awesome (when BA announced the pick during yesterday's game I just thought 'Patrick nailed it!'), and it sounds like Heckathorn is a bit of a risk-reward scenario that some very well-informed posters here think is a good gamble.

Congrats so far to Seid & his people... seems like the Brewers aren't even missing a beat after losing three of their top talent evaluators this past offseason. That's amazing, imho.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Any opinions on where Arnett will start or how long it will take to the majors? How does college level ball compare with minors? High A? I know every college player is a bit different, but do we expect his development to be along the lines of JJ or ?

and Kevin James just went near the end of round 9 to the Rays
Damn. I was really hoping the Brewers would be able to snag him. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tired.gif

They were able but chose not to. I'm with you though!

They were able but chose not to. I'm with you though!

With a commitment to BC and getting noticed late in the process for the 2009 Entry Draft, the Brewers might have another chance to get the local lefty in 2012. Plus, at BC he might get to show off that .550 avg 21 XBH 5HR 37/38 SBs he put up as a Jr - all a tick better than ND-bound Charlie Markson http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Round 9 is Jonathan Pokorny, LHP Jr from Kent State.

and Kevin James just went near the end of round 9 to the Rays.

Isn't Pokorny a reliever? I'm at work and it's tough doing research here on the web.

I was disappointed that they didn't pick up James, hopefully he doesn't sign with the Rays and we have a shot at him later. I like HS LHP that already throw 90+, and I'll always take a SP over a RP, he was a low radar guy so I had some hope.

I realize I'm being a homer here, but if James signs I will always be doing my private comparison between the 2 players.

Lame Rays!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewers draft Scooter Gennett. Cool. I know he was a touted guy coming into the year and that he's lost his luster, but that's about it. Seiler indicates signability is a concern.
Not the most glowing report from BA He was one of the 3 players who hurt their stock at an All-Star tourney if Florida.

"Like you may expect from a kid with the nickname "Scooter"-his real first name is Ryan-Gennett is an undersized middle infielder. Listed at 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds, he's a gritty, grinder type that always has a dirty uniform. He has talent, but sometimes tries to be too flashy or do too much at the plate. His swing is long and slow with wood and he struggled to get balls out of the infield during the event's batting practice session.

"He's a fantastic high school player," the AL scout said. "I think he's going to be a very good college player, but he's probably better off going to school. He has a ways to go with the bat and in our game he probably lacks the size and range to go out there and project as a major league shortstop. He's probably more of a second baseman or a utility guy and going to college might do him some good. He needs some time, he's not ready. Good pitching will own this kid and when that happens early, sometimes you lose them mentally forever.""

He is committed to Florida State so it should be interesting to see if he signs.

Archived