Brewer Fanatic

BF.net interviews Cheryl and Mandy Coolbaugh

link

First off, today is Mike Coolbaugh's birthday, he would be 37 today. I heard from Mandy, the family is together, celebrating.

Thank you to both ladies for your courage, and your candor, you're both simply amazing.

-Todd

One of my buddies here in SA got to know Mike and Mandy, as their kids were in tee ball together. Mike never flaunted the fact that he was a baseball player, and was a down to earth guy according to my buddy. Thanks for the interview.

Great read folks. I remember following Coolbaugh in the minors and thinking, "this kid (ironic since I'm 28) can really help some team." When he died, I'm pretty sure all of us at brewerfan felt awful, seeing as we'd followed him on a daily basis for some time and enjoyed what he could do on the field.

I'm just curious, did the Coolbaugh ladies mention anything about Brewerfan.net (or was it .com back then?)? Best of luck to the family. I'm 28 and single, and can't imagine how hard it is to go through daily life with 3 kids and no spouse (and not by choice). It sounds like they have lots of support, though.

DHonks, neither Cheryl nor Mandy mentioned Brewerfan when I first contacted them.

Today, Mandy told me she'd read the piece I did on Ray Chapman's death after she and I had talked...she pointed out that it posted on the site the day after Mike was killed.

Special thanks to both ladies for this interview....and by the way...it was Cheryl who introduced me to Brooks Kieschnick.

Todd I just want to say thank you for doing and posting this interview and thank you to Cheryl and Mandy for sharing their story. I read it at work and had to fight back tears. Your interview with Brooks was a great read and interesting, this I don't even know how to describe. I remember when it happened and hearing about it. I felt bad for him and his family but I didn't fully comprehend what it meant for his family. His story is one that everyone should know about. I have a lot of respect for the Rockies organization and the commissioner's office for how they treated his family. You did a great job with this interview, thanks again.

I'm not afraid to admit this story had me in tears..

As always Todd, a great interview and an amazing read. Its a shame the spiritual stuff isnt going to make it into the book. Even though I myself am not a relgious person, stories like that alway fill me with amazement and wonderment.

You knew me as Myday2001.

What an inspirational interview. Something like this is enough to make anyone think. This is a very touching story. The strength that Cheryl and Mandy have through all of this is amazing. Their spirituality and stength is inspirational to me, and I'm sure countless others. I was very touched by this interview. Great interview. Thank you very much!
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Thank you everyone.

It was my pleasure, these ladies are simply amazing.

I spoke with Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com the other day, he told me in all his years of doing interviews, Mandy Coolbaugh is the most inspirational person he's ever met.

He's right.

Um ok. I, like everyone else was moved by this story,,,,,,,and yes, i feel for her and the family. buuuuut:

Didnt anyone else finish this article and ask the big question. What is going to change in baseball? Is she waiting for Mike or God to make whatever it is clear??

Does she have an idea? (and isnt telling us?) Will bat boys not sit outside of the dugouts? Will more netting be installed in all stadiums? Will different equipment be worn by MLB players?

ecj, Mandy doesn't know what will change in baseball, but it's the overwhelming feeling she gets.

I think if the Coolbaugh family had their choice, there would be netting in front of every seat in every stadium, but they realize that's not likely to happen.

The coaches wear helmets on the field now, so there has been some tangible change, who knows what else is coming?

Scott Coolbaugh and his wife Susan have become advocates for improved safety in baseball, I'm sure they will be advancing some new ideas in the future. I had hoped to speak with Scott for this interview, but his coaching schedule would not allow it at this time.

Archived