Brewer Fanatic

Brewers' handling of injured pitchers

Should the Brewers consider moving guys to the relief role earlier to increase the odds of getting production from them? I'm talking guys like Mike Jones and Mark Rogers. The odds have been pretty well stacked against them due to injuries. Both are reportedly throwing mid-90s yet, though and are performing pretty well in their limited innings. The chances that they build up the arm strength and endurance to be a starter in the minors and then show the success necessary to translate to the majors seems quite remote.

Why don't these guys assume consistent roles as relief pitchers? They can move up the chain a bit more quickly, raising the chances that they contribute in Milwaukee some day. If they do that, which means they stay healthy, there might be a point down the road where they can be stretched out and start (a la Braden Looper and others).

After watching players like JM Gold and Nick Neugebauer pretty much vanish with little more than a sniff of MLB, why not a change of course? Have the Brewers converted an injury prone, high-end power pitcher to the bullpen before that I am not thinking about?

edit: subject spelling

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think age plays a role in the decision also. If the guy is younger (Braddock, Rogers), I think you still still try as an SP where they have the highest value.

Personally, I think the best course for Jones would be as an RP, simply because of age, more than injuries at this point. Once he is proven healthy (which I think he is by now), give him the fastest path to the majors. Then if we proves reliable at the MLB level as an RP, you could stretch him out (perhaps).

Going back a ways, but didn't Dan Plesac go to be an RP due to injuries?

I thought that Jones should have been moved to relief, but you can't argue with his results so far this year. I figure as long as he is pitching well as a starter, and keeping the walks down, why not let him continue on? The thing that would worry me most about moving Jones to relief would be that after this season he would bolt for somewhere else to be a starter. I would love to see him make it to the big leagues, but if he does I really hope its with Milwaukee.

As far as Rogers and Braddock go, I guess I'm ok with what they're doing now. Braddock has been absolutely dominant and I would love to see him get some more innings, but I guess as long as we have them under control for a few more seasons what's the rush.

You can convert a pitcher to a relief role whenever. You want to find out if they can succeed as a starter first, and I don't think that question has been answered for Jones, Rogers, or Braddock. It's not like any of them are in a position to help the big club out of the pen this year.

I've considered that maybe the Brewers should let guys relieve until age 21 in 1-3 inning stints. Then around age 21 let them become 5 inning starters. Finally at age 23 or 24 turning them loose to rack up some innings. My thought is that some kids should focus on basic fastball command and confidence while their bodies are still developing, then slowly be worked into more stressful roles. It just seems like lots of guys with major arm problems tend to have the problems before age 25 or 26.

You can convert a pitcher to a relief role whenever. You want to find out if they can succeed as a starter first, and I don't think that question has been answered for Jones, Rogers, or Braddock. It's not like any of them are in a position to help the big club out of the pen this year.
I'm not arguing that they should give up on these pitchers as starter necessarily. I think that after spending several years in the minor leagues and suffering multiple injuries, perhaps it would be best to maximize each players potential contributions as a Brewer by letting them work under the reduced load of a reliever. This should help them stay healthier longer, which means they'll have more time working on their pitching ability.

If they stay healthy for a few years and continue to develop, then they can try to "stretch out" and start again.

Pitching as a reliever can be at least as damaging to an arm as pitching as a starter. As a starter, you generally get more innings, but you are on a defined schedule. As a reliever, you get up & down, pitch several nights in a row, etc.

Jones seems to be doing well this year, and should only pitch as a reliever if it's in Milwaukee. Who knows where Rogers' future lies, but I hope he can stay healthy so we can see how good he is.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I agree with monty. I've heard that starting, even if for a few innings is less stressful, since it's a pre-determined time to pitch, and in the beginning of the game you have a clean slate and do the most with your set # of pitches. Coming in the middle of an inning with runners on, can be difficult. Also, starting puts you in a slot of starting every 5 days (or so). This is probably an easier way to slowly get back and build up innings over time.

Archived