Brewer Fanatic

Hall Running Out of Time

If Mat Gamel was any other player everyone would be calling for him to sit.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. People aren't calling for Gamel to play based on his major league stats, it's his minor league numbers and potential. You could change his name but his body of work still deserves a chance to play every day in the majors and if he's not going to, he needs to go back to Triple A and play every day.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Mat Gamel was any other player everyone would be calling for him to sit. If Mat Gamel was any other player everyone would be calling for him to sit.

What? I guess I don't understand what you're saying.

I've posted plenty on Gamel in the past. I've seen him play a lot and I think he'll be fine at 3B. I just hope he plays everyday. I think his bat is MLB ready and his defense is close. The Brewers have never really had a guy that was ready with both when they came up (at least there's more that weren't ready). He's still developing and from what I've seen he's done that quite a bit the past 2+ years and playing everyday and coaching are the major reasons why.

I say it is worth sending Hall to the minors in the event some dumb team claims him or he is dumb enough to refuse. Either way the Brewers save $10 million on salary between this year and next. I would rather have Heether up at this point.

For those that say he is hitting .300 versus lefties the problem is the other team doesn't guarantee the will keep the left in all game. Also people say that but how much was the first month versus that last. And yes one month is a small sample size a small sample size on recent results trumps a small sample size on historical results in my opinion.

lcjbd - You talk about Gamel being in a position to go the other way to move Hart up...Unless I am just looking to much into what your saying...are you talking about him being able to PULL the ball better then Gerut...or what? Im confused.
No, without statistics in front of me, from my memory, all I've seen Gerut do is ground out weakly to the 2B on about 5 out of 6 occassions. I've seen Gamel take the ball the other way, I've seen him lift the ball the other way, seen him lift it for power to the gaps. Certainly a better opportunity for, at the minimum, moving Hart up on a deep fly ball the other way But we wasted him in the 6th inning, batting him with 2 outs and nobody on, down by 3, instead of waiting for a potential higher leverage situation later. When Gerut came up, did anybody else have that feeling of an easy GIDP if Hart wasn't stealing first pitch? I dont want to go over the strategy of this one particular game, that belongs in the IGT. But Macha is certainly mismanaging the bench in my opinion and that starts with not having the right guys on the bench in the first place (due to starters that shouldnt be starting)

If Mat Gamel was any other player everyone would be calling for him to sit.
Completely disagree. From the moment he was called up I said I really hope they do not put him in a pinch hit role because it is just setting him up to fail. It is not easy to get spot at bats and still be successful...especially for a young guy who has never came off the bench before. It is a complete waste of his talent as he has never been in that role before. Gamel needs to be in AAA playing every day or getting more time up here...I don't care which.

Macha is now talking about McGehee getting some time at 3b. Maybe this will mean that he will talk to Hall and tell him he is willing to give him a shot at 2b, where his defense has a better chance of making up for his lack of offense?

If I were Hall's agent, I'd be advising him to accept a trip to the minors. He might never be the player he was in 05 and 06, but he's just making his situation worse right now. He needs steady game action out of the glare for a while. While were at it, I'd play Hall in CF some if they sent him down.

As for Gamel, give him a chance to play everyday. This is a guy they refused to include in the Sabathia deal. If you think that highly of him, play him. He's a work in process at 3B. They knew he would be. They can minimize the effect of his defense with late inning moves. Personally I don't think he'll embarrass himself out there. They need his bat in the lineup. I'd be thrilled if he were Ryan Braun of 2007. Braun was bad at 3B but his offense more than made him a net plus on the team. I think Gamel can be better than Braun defensively so he doesn't have to put up monster numbers, just hit a solid .285/.335/.475 and he's an asset.

Get rid of him. Sit Gamel down and tell him, "You are my everyday 3rd basemen." Leave Casey at 2nd. He's doing pretty well over there. Put Counsell back in his 2 games a week role. Call up Hernan as an emergency backup/pinch runner/6th outfielder, and call it a day.

I know that won't actually happen because of Hall's contract, but I think it should at least be discussed. Hall has been bad for a while now, and I don't see him getting better any time soon.

There is no good reason to think Gerut cannot hit righties and there is no good reason to think Hall cannot hit lefties. I cannot believe how quickly people turn on part time players like Gerut, if they struggle for 5 AB suddenly they are useless.

There is no good reason to think Gerut cannot hit righties and there is no good reason to think Hall cannot hit lefties. I cannot believe how quickly people turn on part time players like Gerut, if they struggle for 5 AB suddenly they are useless.

I don't have an issue with Gerut at all. I think he'll be fine and he's a pretty good player for his role. The main issue here IMO is Gamel vs. Hall. Gamel should play everyday. He's hit lefties better than righties in his career. If he can't play everyday in MLB send him to AAA. In other words, it all comes down to what you do with Hall. I see much more benefit from playing Gamel everyday than I do trying to have the guys split time. I'd move Hall back to super sub. Hall has had plenty of time to show what he can do and to be honest he hasn't shown much. He can hit lefties some and I'm not ignoring that. If he's a super sub, you could have him give guys break against lefties.

Gamel Offense - Gamel Defense > Hall Offense + Hall Defense

I don't really see McGehee as anything more than a utility guy so I say give the job to Gamel everyday. Hall can pinch hit against LHP and be a late inning defensive replacement.

I'm ready to hand the everyday 2B job to McGehee until he shows he's not up to it. If I were him I'd beg Macha to play 2nd over 3rd. He has no power and will never make in the majors as a 3B. He'll hit enough for a career at 2B. Counsell should go back to Utility Infielder playing a couple times a week.

Gamel needs the shot as primary 3B with Hall playing there only against lefties or as a late inning defensive replacement. Otherwise Hall is a good option as a righty pinch hitter. He and The Cat make for a pretty good late inning tandem.

I think we should trade our entire team to the Mariners for Russell Branyan. To please the fans who seem to hate every guy hitting below 900 OPS, the Brewers should adopt a "The King and His Court" strategy. We'll start Yo every day with Braun, Fielder and 3TO. That way we can get rid of all those stiffs on our team.

I agree with much of the sentiment here. It does appear the brewers have some decent options. Gamel can and will hit. Pretty sure nobody doubts that, and unlike Hall, it seems he will hit both RHP and LHP. Take a chance on his defense and put him out there. If it proves problematic, you can pull him late with leads, or remove him all together if its that bad.

That leaves 2B. I am somewhat comfortable with a Counsell/McGeHee platoon, although I do think looking outside for an everyday 2B, who ideally can lead off may ultimately be necessary.

"Macha made it clear that Hall was running out of time to break out of his prolonged offensive skid."

Websters dictionary defines the word "prolonged" as a period of approximately 2 1/2 to 3 years.

"Macha made it clear that Hall was running out of time to break out of his prolonged offensive skid."

Websters dictionary defines the word "prolonged" as a period of approximately 2 1/2 to 3 years.

In Spring Training Macha made it clear he was going to judge players on what he saw, not necessarily on past performances. That gave Hall a clean slate to establish himself again as an everyday player. He has shown he's not up to the task. It was a generous gesture on Macha's part, but now it's June and time to get serious.

this is definitely one of the big differences between ned and macha. Ned would continue to play Hall everyday and hope he comes around and starts playing like he did in April. While sometimes it works, Mota and Gagne last year came around and was valuable members of the pen towards the end of the year but they blew enough games earlier in the year to not justify it. If Gamel is the future at 3rd, you might as well give him an opportunity and if his defense starts to outweigh the contributions on offense, figure out something else. Already Julio, Nelson and Duffy were held accountable for their failures, I expect Hall too. I don't mind starting him against lefties, but he should never be in the lineup against another righty.

I say right now Platoon Gamel and Casey @ 3rd we already Know what we have in Hall so why not go another way.

I also agree hall won"t be sent down and he has no trade Value Now either so we stuck with Him .

You want THE Couns as your every day second baseman? Ill pass. I really think hes going to wear downa and lose a lot of his value.

Last night's game was a perfect example why Counsell needs to come off the bench. He's a guy you can use when you need a bunt. stoutdude04 is right but there's even more reason to keep Counsell on the bench than his inevitable running out of gas.

McGehee needs to play every day at 2B and Gamel everyday at 3B. McGehee's value in the trade market right now is that of a career minor leaguer with a cup of coffee in the majors. If he plays 4 months at 2B everyday, hits .270 with some pop and plays solid defense, now you've not only turned him into a guy with value in the market, you've also freed up the possibility of trading other middle infielders in your system.

I say it is worth sending Hall to the minors in the event some dumb team claims him or he is dumb enough to refuse. Either way the Brewers save $10 million on salary between this year and next.
No team will claim his contract obviously, unless the Yankees feel they haven't spent enough money on contracts yet this year.

If Hall refuses assignment, I don't believe that somehow the Brewers get out of his contract, AFAIK, he will still be paid his contract.

Archived