Brewer Fanatic

Hall Running Out of Time

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the best news I've heard in a long time! I hope he gets benched against lefties too. Put McGehee in there against lefties if necessary. I'm definitely on board with this, and I hope Macha actually follows through on it. I'm definitely one of the bigger Hall bashers on this site, so there may be other opinions, but that's how I see it.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

So, despite having success in a massively large 6 AB sample, he wasn't able to able to have success in 3 AB? Hall hasn't had a decent year against righties since 2006. That seems to be the data set we should be focusing on.

All these means is I'm going to have to hear excuses for Gamel's bad defense everyday, just like I did for Braun. As I always say, I hope I'm wrong!

The nice thing about Gamel is he hits righties and lefties in the minors.

And I hope the Brewers actually send Hall to AAA. He's out of options, but given his high salary, nobody would claim him and he'd be foolish to declare free agency. I'd have him down there playing every day with Iribarren, Bourgouis (sp?), or Heether up here to back up Gamel and McGehee

This wouldn't be a problem if Macha would quit using hitter vs pitcher stats to make lineup decisions and just stick with the RH/LH slits or even assume league average splits.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

To be fair Gamel's defense is bad in a different way than Braun's was. Braun made a lot of errors and had absolutely no range. Gamel seems to be a real 3B who just makes a lot of errors as well. Gamel seems to have some hope of becoming at least adequate (think like Aramis Ramirez when he came up). Braun was historically bad.

I appreciate that Gamel is not as bad as Braun was but I am skeptical that he'll ever be even average at 3B, defensively. Right now, he's bad enough that despite not having any other viable option right now, the Brewers are very reluctant to give him a shot. Considering how little weight Melvin has given defense in the past, that says a lot. I realize he could be the next Aramis but that's he's the exception to the rule.

Verified Member
McGehee seems to be a good defender. Who knows how good or bad Gamel will be? Part of the internet expert evaluation by unknown "scouts" was that Gamel had a weak arm, so much so that he was questionable as an outfielder. That turned out to be a complete fabrication.
Formerly AKA Pete

Macha needs to get this figured out ASAP. He cost us another one tonight in my opinion when he failed to handle his bench appropriately. He used Mat Gamel way early, down by 3 with 2 outs and nobody on base. Meaning he had to go with Gerut with Corey Hart on first base, down by one with no outs in the 9th inning. I was livid when Gamel was used up way to early. Just figures that we did indeed need Gamel up there in the 9th instead of the 6th. Sure would have been nice to see Gamel, who can stroke the ball a bit and goes the other way well in order to try and move up Corey Hart. With Gerut's weak hitting, I had a feeling if Macha didn't try and steal Corey, it'd be GIDP.

Bottom line is I'd like somebody to be given an opportunity at the full time job, preferably Mat Gamel. With all the shuffling he is doing to accomedate guys, it just ends up with Macha mis-managing his bench later in games.

And I hope the Brewers actually send Hall to AAA. He's out of options, but given his high salary, nobody would claim him and he'd be foolish to declare free agency.

According to Brewerfan's 40-man roster page, Hall does have an option. To be optioned, he'd have to clear waivers because more than three calendar years have passed since his first Major League appearance. That's no biggie; those waivers are revocable and teams tend to allow a player through. Because he has more than 5 years of Major League service time, he can refuse to be optioned with no consequence.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It irked me in the 9th, because Macha's reason for not bunting with Gerut last week was "well, he's never really done it before" (or something like that). It either should have been a bunt or a steal. Not a swing away for the fences.

This is the best news I've heard in a long time! I hope he gets benched against lefties too. Put McGehee in there against lefties if necessary. I'm definitely on board with this, and I hope Macha actually follows through on it. I'm definitely one of the bigger Hall bashers on this site, so there may be other opinions, but that's how I see it.

Last I checked he was hitting 300+ against lefties. Has that changed? It very well might have...But, god forbid we let hall play when he actually can succeed.

lcjbd - You talk about Gamel being in a position to go the other way to move Hart up...Unless I am just looking to much into what your saying...are you talking about him being able to PULL the ball better then Gerut...or what? Im confused.

(edit: removed quoted material; it appears that "quote" was clicked instead of "reply"... the quoted material had nothing to do with this message --1992)

I appreciate that Gamel is not as bad as Braun was but I am skeptical that he'll ever be even average at 3B, defensively.

But the thing is that Gamel possesses& has displayed the physical tools necessary to be a good defender at 3B. He has quite a bit of range, and is capable of making spectacular throws. If Rickie Weeks can turn himself into a good (at least as far as he got into the '09 season) defender, I'm guessing Gamel can too. Needless to say, I've been impressed by Gamel's skillset on D. His mistakes don't concern me at all to this point, and aside from rookie growing pains I really don't even see Hall as being better than Mat on defense. At the expense of repeating myself yet again, there is just no reason for Hall to be starting over Gamel except (imho) against LHP and/or tough LHP.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I realize a lot of people on this site hate Bill Hall, but I don't think there's any way he gets sent to the minors, regardless of if he has an option left or not.

As much as I like Billy, I do feel he should be getting way less playing time at this point. At least give Gamel a chance with some more starts.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

He cost us another one tonight in my opinion when he failed to handle his bench appropriately. He used Mat Gamel way early, down by 3 with 2 outs and nobody on base. Meaning he had to go with Gerut with Corey Hart on first base, down by one with no outs in the 9th inning

I have to disagree with this one. Gerut or Cattalanotto is our best LH bat off the bench at this point, Gamel isn't proven enough.

Archived