Brewer Fanatic

Bats available at the deadline

Since we have a pitchers thread on who will or could be available at the deadline why not start one on the batters available or who could become available.

IF:

Mark Derosa: He is obviously available and could fill a hole the Brewers have. Though I believe McGehee and Counsell will be fine at 2B. Would probably take a B level prospect pitching being what Cleveland would want in return. Possible trade pieces: not sure on this one.

Dan Uggla: He has been on the block ever since the beginning of the offseason. He has a lot of power but I don't see the Brewers trading for Uggla for the same reason I don't see the Brewers trading for Derosa. Possible trade pieces: Jeffress, Brewer, Dykstra, Gindl, Braddock, and Taylor Green.

Aubrey Huff: If the Brewers see Gamel as not being ready to play everyday at 3B right now b/c of his defense and Hall continues to struggle Huff would be a nice option to pickup.

Possible trade pieces: Taylor Green, Aguilar, and Rogers.

OF:

Matt Holliday: He will become available but the price is what maybe become a concern. The price of prospects could swing either way, if Holliday continues to hit like he has been since May or if he plays like he was in April his stock could go either way. Who the A's would target in a trade: Gindl, Dykstra, Schafer, Braddock, and Nieves.

Jeremy Hermida: Supposibly the Marlins are open to trading Hermida along with others in their current OF. Hermida could be an interesting platoon player with Hart. Possible trade pieces: Gillespie, Brewer, Braddock, Nieves, and Dykstra.

Cody Ross: Another player from the Marlins supposedly also on the block now. Ross could be a good platoon with Hart or Cameron also. Possible trade pieces: Gindl, Braddock, Brewer, and Dykstra

Jermaine Dye: This is a possibility that I could see the Brewers looking at but I don't think the Brewers would be able to get a pitcher also if they go after Dye. Possible trade pieces: Braddock, Jeffress, Green, Gillespie, and Salome.

Adam Dunn: Another possibility but I'm not sure the Brewers would give up the prospects to get Dunn. Possible trade pieces: Jeffress, Braddock, Nieves, Green, Salome, Lucroy, and Dykstra.

Did I miss any other players who maybe or are available right now in the trade market? Also the trade pieces I listed are just players I believe would be likely in a trade to get the player. I am not suggesting all of the players listed to be traded for the one player just putting them down as players that teams would look at in return for their players and starting from there.

Freddy Sanchez would be an upgrade at second but I'm not sure what it would take to get him from the Pirates. They may be reluctant to trade him to a division rival.

If the Brewers aren't satisfied with Gamel's defense at third then you don't want Huff. He isn't much better.

FWIW, I read some rumors about the Cardinals being interested in Holliday and Boston being a good match with the Nats for a Dunn trade. I take both of those suggestions with a grain of salt, but I do agree that STL and BOS are gonna be looking for bats in the near future, too. That raises the price.

FWIW, I read some rumors about the Cardinals being interested in Holliday and Boston being a good match with the Nats for a Dunn trade. I take both of those suggestions with a grain of salt, but I do agree that STL and BOS are gonna be looking for bats in the near future, too. That raises the price.
That OF in STL is already crowded with Rasmus, Ankiel, Ludwick, and Duncan. Not so much Duncan but I don't see why the Cardinals would trade for Holliday I would think Derosa, Atkins, and Beltre would be someone they would go after. It doesn't look like Glaus is going to be coming back anytime soon. The only way I would see the Cardinals trading for Holliday would be if they traded Ankiel away for some pitching help. Otherwise I don't see the Cardinals trading for Holliday.

Dunn would make a lot of sense for the Red Sox as a DH. He would give them more production than what Ortiz is giving him. I still wish the Brewers would have traded Hart this offseason to the Rays for Jackson and then had went out and signed Dunn. I wonder what the offense would look like with Dunn batting in the 5th spot behind Fielder. Defense would have taken a loss but Jackson + Dunn is > Hart + Looper.

Dunn doesn't seem like a good fit for the Sox given his price tag for next year. Nick Johnson on the other hand does.

As for Sanchez, everything sounds like the Pirates don't want him back next year and are fighting to keep his PAs down to keep his option from being automatic while looking like they are not trying to keep his PAs down.

EDIT:Could have included Johnson among infielders but he really doesn't have a place in Milwaukee so I skipped him

Dunn doesn't seem like a good fit for the Sox given his price tag for next year.

This needs further explanation. The Red Sox may not view him as a good fit, but I doubt price tag has anything to do with it.

They already owe lots of money to Ortiz and Youkilis and want to bring back Bay. They have lots of money but another $12m next year for 1B/DH is still a hefty amount when they already are spending over $21m there. Sure the Sox have a lot of money but they aren't a black hole and they already have Lugo taking up $9m next season.

Cody Ross: Another player from the Marlins supposedly also on the block now. Ross could be a good platoon with Hart or Cameron also. Possible trade pieces: Gindl, Braddock, Brewer, and Dykstra
A career .809 OPS and he can play CF?

Sounds like the perfect 4th OF - or 3rd OF is Corey Hart doesn't get his stuff together.

They have lots of money but another $12m next year for 1B/DH is still a hefty amount when they already are spending over $21m there.

They also aren't getting any production from their DH. The Red Sox won't let Ortiz's salary get in the way of paying someone else to take his spot if he has cratered.

Does anybody think that Hart and a pitcher to Washington for Dunn sound pretty good?

Then after this year, if we need to trade Prince, slide Dunn to first base.

I really think a Fielder/Braun/Dunn lineup would be hard to beat.

If they moved Hart AND a pitcher to the Nats for Dunn, I would revolt. They could have had him for nothing this offseason. NOTHING! And then we could have traded Hart for a "#5 pitcher" like Jon Sanchez and installed him into our bullpen, which would have saved us the Julio meltdown, which would have saved me from getting so toasted that night that I just sort of wandered off, Towelie-style. Then again....we'd have Braun-Prince-Dunn, all in the same line-up. You would have to feel for Rickie even more. He could have easily padded his "run" stats by another 110 with those guys behind him instead of the Golden Sombrero protecting Prince.

As a fantasy baseball-type pipe dream, does anyone think V-Mart might become available? Shoppach is behind him, and Big V could spell Prince from time to time while also relegating our worst bat to the bench, which would anger our new pitching coach because the two seem to have a very good rapport, alienating the entire staff from the new catcher....causing a complete breakdown of our entire clubhouse....devolving while The Prince plays one faction off of another. Yeah, probably best to let sleeping dogs lie.

I was calling for a possible Dunn signing during the off-season. Then when I saw what the Nats signed him for, I was kind of angry.

Why were you angry? There wasn't a spot for Dunn, and the Brewers had needs at SP and a closer.

Theoretically, they could have traded Cameron to the Yankees for next to nothing (salary dump), and moved Braun to RF and Hart to CF. Probably just a pipe dream, but like was pointed out, Braun/Fielder/Dunn in the middle of the lineup would have been killer.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Cameron's WAR 2.7. Dunn's WAR 0.4. That would have been a terrible move even before you get into the defensive drop off moving Hart and Braun brings. Dunn can't play the field really, he's subFielder at 1B.

As to eating Ortiz's contract, they need a corner OFer. So while they might eat Ortiz's contract it doesn't mean they have $25m to spend next year on a starting corner OFer and a new DH.

As to eating Ortiz's contract, they need a corner OFer. So while they might eat Ortiz's contract it doesn't mean they have $25m to spend next year on a starting corner OFer and a new DH.

Why not? The Sox have plenty of money. What specific limitation do you think they have?

What makes you think they don't have a budget?

Where do I say they don't have a budget?

And they aren't freeing up much money for next year with expiring contracts

They are spending less money this year than they have in years past (they opened the season at $121M, they have spent over $130M and $140 the last two years). They are paying Smoltz $5M to maybe pitch this year, because they have so much money that they can afford to make $5M gambles. There isn't much reason to think they couldn't get Dunn if they thought he was the best option.

Archived