Brewer Fanatic

Dear Mr. Attanasio .. my Tom Glavine pledge to you...

What would be the downside to giving Glavine a shot?

The money? Well if the owner will spend it who cares.

Is it that he may bump someones rotation spot? I think it is safe to say that by the end of the year a few guys will get hurt or perform poorly enough that their spot should be bumped.

Is the worry of him being old and washed up a huge problem? I would argue he is worth the chance.

The Braves cut him becuase if they would have activated him he was owed $1 Million. I think he was there as insurance for Tommy Hanson, who they just called up.

I do not think he would sign with Milwaukee but I don't see the logic of not giving him a chance or Pedro for that matter. You can never ever ever have enough pitching.

The problem with Martinez is that he was supposedly demanding $5 million or so, around the start of the season. Otherwise I imagine someone would have signed him by now. Granted the price has probably come down by now, but who knows if he would even come to the Brewers? He probably wants the spotlight of being in a major market yet. Plus, it's not like he was really good last year or anything.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

With todays rumor that the Braves are looking into trading for Brad Penny from Boston, If Glavine had enough to contribute they would have hung on to him. I may be wrong, but I'm convinced he's not right and he's done.

I read on ESPN that Tom Glavine has been pitching very well in his rehab starts but the Braves have a guy they just called up from AAA who is a stud prospect and that they would have to pay Glavine a million dollar bonus if he got called up so it was more a financial decision than a performance decision.

If Glavine still has something left in the tank, would it be worth going after him to upgrade our pitching some, and then use the saved money and prospects to go after a decent bat? It wouldn't be an improvement like a Peavy or Bedard, but with the offense struggling a bit lately, maybe upgrading Hart, Hall or Kendall would be worthwhile instead. Parra could then be sent to AAA to get himself right and be a call up in case of an injury, or when he shows that he's figured himself out.

Doesn't anyone care to look at his age and stats from last year? We will imho, likely make ONE move for a starter. I am not sure if it will be a small move, medium move, or large move. But do you really want this to be that ONE move we make to help us down the stretch?

I agree. I just don't see how he will be an upgrade over Suppan/Looper/Parra at this point. I also don't see why he'd come back for a really cheap salary. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer...he doesn't have anything to prove at this point. I think he'll end up retiring anyway.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Community Moderator

I just don't see how he will be an upgrade over Parra at this point.

I disagree very much. Glavine wasn't great last year in fairly limited innings, but as Manny's psyche/mechanics/whatever continue to grow as an issue, I think there are a lot of options out there (including Glavine) that are probably an upgrade.

The real question is how much more of an upgrade he would be over someone like Wright/McClung/Dillard that are already in-house.

I think some folks are just over-romanticizing what a guy whose best years are well behind him would be able to do for a contending team like the Brewers, at this point.

And while I'm definitely not on the Manny bandwagon, there's nothing to suggest Glavine could do much better at this point.

Everything that you have all said about Glavine and his performance possibly and/or even probably not being significantly better than Dillard/Wright/McClung etc... is probably true. However, IF he would be willing to come here and IF he would be willing to take a similar salary/contract that he had in Atlanta (cheap!) ... I would take him over those other choices in a heartbeat.

Trevor Hoffman has been a godsend as a closer this year... but I believe he has had so many more positive effects on the bullpen beyond his 9th innings. DiFelice, Villa, Coffee and the whole crew are absolutely soaking in everything that guy does. They are better for just been around a guy who has been successful...

I could see Glavine being the same for the young guys in our rotation. Manny Parra is at a pretty fickle point right now. His confidence has to be shot and it's going to come to a point soon where doubt creeps in. There's only so much Castro and Macha can say to him to try to make him to turn it around... but if a HOF lefty like Glavine suddenly showed up, how could watching him pitch and prepare not be a positive thing for someone (Parra) who figures to be a big piece of our future? Yo and Bush would benefit as well.

Listen, if Glavine doesn't want to play here, or if he wants too much money... cool. We will be fine. But if both parties believe it is a fit, Glavine proves he is healthy, and the need, via an injury or player performance, is there... I can't see how adding a pitching coach who can also post a 4-4.5 ERA and pitch > .500 would be a negative thing.

I guess what I'm saying is if all else is equal, I just think Glavine has something to offer that the in house fellas (McClung, Dillard, Wright, etc) can't...

Archived