Brewer Fanatic

The Old Republic

pitchleague
Dude, you would LOVE the Knights of the Old Republic series.
If you like Star Wars at all, I would be surprised if you didn't like those games.

I'm never playing a MMO 'tho. You need friends for that.
It helps to know the people you are playing with ahead of time. My experience is anything with online the anonymity leads people to act like a bunch of *%%%#%#+$.

And I would like to add at this juncture again . . .the new Clone Wars doesn't suck. Who knew?
It doesn't suck, but it isn't exactly great either.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I know I was a bit skeptical of KOTOR when my brother first got it. He tried to show it to me and I was "yawn" about it. Then, a couple of years later, I borrowed it to try it out since I had heard so many good things about it. Once I started, I didn't put it down pretty much for 3 weeks. It was a great game, probably one of the best I've ever played. I actually am excited to replay it sometime and I hardly ever replay games once I finish them.

Funny thing is, my brother never got very far into the game the first time. Then, after I did finish it, I returned it to him and told him "YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS GAME!" since he's a bigger SW fan than I am. Alas, he got stuck about 1/8th of the way in and hasn't touched it since.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Have to play KOTOR at least twice to play through as good or evil although I don't think things end up much different.

I would recommend Mass Effect if you liked KOTOR. It isn't based on Star Wars, but it is made by BioWare and has the same good/evil decisions to make. I played Mass Effect at least 4 times through.

In general if Obi Wan shows up for more than 30 secs it'll be good.

True, but I liked the previous Clone Wars cartoons better. I think the best way to describe the series so far is uneven. Some shows are good and some make me question whether it is worth having the TiVo record it. I think I read somewhere that they aimed the new ones at a younger target audience. The live action show they are coming out with is supposed to be aimed at an older audience.

I blame Wang.

I could not get into ME. It's a FPS with some light RPG elements. I like the D&D feeling of KOTOR/Jade Empire when you set the "pause after round" option.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I second Logan on Mass Effect, I really enjoyed both ME and KOTOR.

I didn't realize this was another Star Wars MMPORG. I've MMPORG'd a ton in my past, and I'm not sure I'd be willing to head down that path again. I got started with UO, beta tested and played EQ, then beta tested WOW but never played in final. When it came time to commit money towards another MMPORG I just decided to go a different way. I guess I just got tired of grinding through all the time sinks. I enjoyed the end game of EQ, the large raids, but loot distribution was a nightmare as people never had enough loot, even they were the best outfitted character on the server. The headaches of managing loot with the huge time commitments eventually got the best of me. I got to the point where I was running 3 characters at one time on most raids just to keep myself occupied and interested but even then it got stale. Now I'm mostly a single player RPG and FPS guy, games like Oblivion, Fallout3, the COD series, GOW, and Halo (the original will always be a special game, Halo3... *sigh*).

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Mass Effect 2 looks pretty darn cool. The game will recognize your saved file from the first game, and all the decisions you made then will effect how the game plays out in the new one. Pretty darn cool considering quite a few of your party members could be dead, and a whole species could still be alive.

• 1 month later...

Looks like there is going to be a lot of talking in the game.

Here are some other tidbits about the VO on The Old Republic:
  • The voice-over is being recorded in 5 different cities (so far); Los Angeles , London, New York, San Francisco, and Toronto
  • By the time the project is finished, we will have worked with hundreds of actors - many on multiple occasions.
  • The entire game 'script' contains approximately 40+ novels worth of content.
  • One of the biggest challenges of the production: consistency in pronunciation across the whole project! You would be amazed at how many ways there are to say "Thul" or "Holo" Projector. An audio pronunciation guide sure has helped http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.
  • Link

I blame Wang.

Archived