Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thurs. 6/4 -- Wild, Wild Win for Brevard

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thursday's Daily Menu --

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Link here for the live audio choices - audio will no longer archive.

Sorry, no audio for this Brevard County series.

Nashville: RHP Josh Butler at home vs. Iowa (Cubs), 6:35 PM pre-game; 7:00 gametime

Huntsville: LHP David Welch at home vs. Birmingham (White Sox), 6:45 PM pre-game; 7:00 gametime

Brevard County: RHP Mark Rogers at Sarasota (Reds), 6:00 PM gametime

Wisconsin: RHP Wily Peralta at home vs. Cedar Rapids (Angels), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Dominican Summer League Brewers / Orioles: at home vs. the DSL Mets squad (see this thread for some roster background) -- all games are 10:30 local time in the Dominican, and no need to ask about web audio; we usually won't see updated box scores until the overnight...

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Follow Thursday's action as it happens:
Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Tab or New Window". Choose "Recap". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

MiLB.com now has Gameday available for AA as well as AAA this season.

Nashville:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_04_iowaaa_nasaaa_1

Huntsville:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t559&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_04_biraax_hunaax_1

Brevard County:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t503&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_04_breafa_sarafa_1

Wisconsin:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=g_box&gid=2009_06_04_cedafx_wisafx_1&did=t572&sid=t572

Dominican Summer League Brewers / Orioles:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&gid=2009_06_04_dmerok_dobrok_1&cid=3130&t=g_box

Brewer Fanatic Staff
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nashville 30 24 .556 - 16-13 14-11 W3 Memphis 28 25 .528 1.5 16-11 12-14 L1 Iowa 26 28 .481 4.0 12-12 14-16 L5 Omaha 23 30 .434 6.5 10-16 13-14 L3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Huntsville 30 22 .577 - 12-13 18-9 W1 Carolina 29 24 .547 1.5 17-12 12-12 W7 Chattanooga 22 31 .415 8.5 12-17 10-14 L1 West Tenn 22 31 .415 8.5 11-13 11-18 L1 Tennessee 21 33 .389 10.0 10-18 11-15 L11 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Florida State League (A+) - FSL North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brevard County 32 14 .696 - 14-8 18-6 W3 Clearwater 25 23 .521 8.0 11-12 14-11 W2 Lakeland 21 23 .477 10.0 11-13 10-10 L1 Daytona 22 25 .468 10.5 11-10 11-15 L2 Tampa 21 29 .420 13.0 12-16 9-13 L3 Dunedin 20 29 .408 13.5 8-18 12-11 W3 

Brewer Fanatic Staff

We're going to include the link to Kraig McNutt's Nashville blog in the same post as the Nashville media notes link going forward. When there is a post of particular interest you may miss, we'll be sure to note it, but make Kraig's blog a pitstop on your Brewer browsing schedule, along with those media notes, which are always chock full.

If we could only get a Brevard County season ticket holder to do something similar...

Via email from Huntsville GM Buck Rogers

Tonight's game is postponed due to the storms passing thru the area. There was so much water today that the warning track washed away forcing Jamie Hill, our Head Groundkeeper, and Allison Tofflemire, the Booster Club President, to rebuild areas of it with a tractor.
The National Weather Service has a Flash Flood Advisory posted at this time; do not attempt to cross water-swollen streets.
Tonight's game will be made up in Birmingham in two weeks. The exact date and time will be determined tomorrow, Friday, after we discuss our options the schedule with the Barons staff. We will send that information out in a e-newsletter and post it on our web site when the information is available.

Also in Brevard County Mark Rogers with the start going 1 2/3 with 2 walks and 3 strike outs.

Weird night in Brevard County. Brandon Rapoza give up his 1st runs of the season. Rob Wooten struggles. BC takes the lead in the 10th only to let Sarasota tie it in the bottom. Now the box score shows catcher Brett Whiteside in to pitch the 11th.

but battlekow, out of Wooten's "struggles" has arisen the new Link Report savior, Brett Whiteside. Speaking of Mr. Whiteside, he was a decent prospect out of HS. It's interesting to see that he's been relegated to A+ bullpen catcher and mop-up pitcher

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Nashville 5, Iowa (Cubs) 2

Nashville Site Game Summary:

Link for Brendan Katin photo, text follows --

NASHVILLE - Brendan Katin enjoyed a two-homer evening for the third time in his last six games to power the Nashville Sounds to a 5-2 victory over the division-rival Iowa Cubs on Thursday evening at historic Greer Stadium.

Katin, who leads Nashville with 12 longballs on the season, has homered in seven of his last 14 games and is batting .342 (27-for-79) over his last 20 contests.

The first-place Sounds (31-24) have won three straight against the I-Cubs and four straight overall.

Iowa grabbed an early 1-0 lead against Nashville starter Josh Butler, as the Cubs snapped their 19-inning scoreless drought. Sam Fuld led off with an infield single, moved to second on a groundout, advanced to third on a wild pitch, and scored the contest's first run on Doug Deeds' RBI single to left.

Cubs third baseman Kyle Reynolds doubled the visitors' advantage to 2-0 in the fourth with a one-out solo homer off the top of the right-field wall, his first roundtripper of the year.

Nashville pinch-hitter extraordinaire Erick Almonte put the Sounds on the board in the bottom of the fourth with a pinch RBI single to center off Iowa starter Jeff Samardzija that plated Adam Heether, who had opened the frame with a single of his own. Almonte is 5-for-14 (.357) in pinch-hit situations this seasons while the remainder of the Sounds club is just 3-for-18.

Center fielder Jason Bourgeois evened the contest at 2-2 when he followed Almonte's knock with an RBI single to center, bringing in Cole Gillespie with the tying run.

Katin put Nashville in front in the fifth when he mashed his team-leading 11th home run of the year, a two-run shot to left off Samardzija. Joe Koshansky, who drew an inning-opening walk, also scored on the blast, which gave the Sounds a 4-2 lead.

AUDIO: Brendan Katin's First HR

Katin upped the lead to 5-2 in the seventh with his second roundtripper of the night, a solo shot to center off Iowa reliever James Russell.

Chris Narveson (2-3) worked four frames of scoreless, one-hit relief to notch the win for the Sounds. The left-hander retired his final 12 batters faced after being greeted by a Fuld single.

David Johnson tossed a scoreless ninth for Nashville to pick up his second save of the year.

Samardzija (2-2) took the loss for Iowa after allowing four runs on nine hits over his five frames of action.

Butler took a no-decision in his second start for the Sounds. He allowed two runs on seven hits in four innings.

Nashville catcher Angel Salome had his season-best hitting streak snapped at six games with a pinch-hit strikeout in the contest.

The teams wrap up the four-game series with a 7:00 PM finale on Friday evening. Left-hander Chris Cody will make his career Triple-A debut for the Sounds and face Iowa right-hander Kevin Hart (0-3, 4.45).

It will be another Purity Faith Night at the ballpark, featuring a pre-game concert by Christian recording artist Tal & Acacia in the back parking lot. A spectacular fireworks show will follow the game.

Nashville Box Score

Josh Butler allowed seven hits, but by striking out six and walking none in his four innings (81 pitches), only gave up two runs; Hernan Iribarren, Alcides Escobar, and Jason Bourgeois stole bases -- they have 42 between them; Adam Heether 7-for-10 in June; we're not worthy, Brendan Katin...

Nashville Game Log

In both the 1st and 3rd innings, Sounds batters failed to drive in a man from third base with only one out...

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Out of Wooten's "struggles" has arisen the new Link Report savior, Brett Whiteside.
The most disappointing thing about this minor league evening is that we have no audio of this amazing mound performance by the third-string catcher, and there will not be any media reports of any kind Friday AM. Living vicariously through game logs stinks...

Crazyness in Florida continues. Infielder Sergio Miranda making his 1st ever appearance at catcher. So you have the battery of catcher Brett Whiteside pitching to infielder Sergio Miranda.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Cedar Rapids (Angels) 8, Wisconsin 0

Wisconsin Site Game Summary:

KERNELS BEAT RATTLERS FOR THIRTEENTH STRAIGHT WIN

by Chris Mehring, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Cedar Rapids Kernels just keep winning. Ryan Chaffee pitched six shutout innings and was supported by a 12-hit attack. The Kernels beat the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers 8-0 Thursday night at Time Warner Cable Field their thirteenth consecutive victory.

Before the scoring, there was an injury to a Kernel staff member. Cedar Rapids clubhouse manager Ron 'Roady' Plein travels with the team. One of his trademarks at Perfect Game Field in Cedar Rapids is to chase after loose balls and retrieve them for the umpire. He also does this on the road.

In the third inning on Thursday night, he chased after a ball behind home plate at the same time as the batboy for the Timber Rattlers. The two collided and Plein wound up with a broken ankle. There was a 21 minute delay as Plein was tended to and taken off the field in an ambulance.

The Kernels (33-20) broke up the scoreless tie with three runs in the top of the fourth inning. Rattler starting pitcher Wily Peralta hit the first batter, walked the second batter, and just missed a diving catch on a popped up bunt attempt and Adam Younger got a single on the play. Matt Crawford lined a double to right that scored a pair of runs. A sacrifice fly by Angel Castillo made it 3-0.

Gabe Jacobo extended the Kernels lead to 4-0 with a double in the fifth. Younger followed with a two-run homer to push the Kernels advantage to 6-0. A sacrifice fly in the sixth inning by Tyson Auer made it 7-0.

Chaffee allowed a fourth inning single to Brett Lawrie and three walks. That was it. He struck out six and won his fifth consecutive start.

Cedar Rapids scored one more run in the top of the eighth inning on a wild pitch by Rattler reliever Liam Ohlmann.

Wisconsin (24-29) managed two hits in the game and have scored one run in the first three games of their series with the Kernels.

The final game of the four game series is set for Friday evening. Dan Merklinger (0-1, 7.40) is scheduled to make the start for the Timber Rattlers. Cedar Rapids will counter with Will Smith (2-1, 3.60). Game time is 7:05 PM.

Friday night is a North Shore Bank Family Night. Children 12 and under eat free. Everyone will get to enjoy the first post-game fireworks display of the season. Children 14 and under may run the bases after the fireworks. Tickets are available at 800-WI-TIMBER, 733-4152, or at the Time Warner Cable Field box office.

Wisconsin Box Score

Rattlers getting pummeled every which way in this home series; OF Derrick McPhearson grounds into a double play in his one at-bat (first professional AB)...

Wisconsin Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: DSL Mets 8, DSL Brewers / Orioles 1

DSL Brewers / Orioles Box Score

The Mets' kids ran wild on 21-year-old catcher Jhonatan Javier, stealing seven bases in as many attempts -- Javier, the only Brewer catcher among five catchers on the roster, has caught all five games thus far and committed two errors here, where are the Oriole backstops? That $710,000 given to RHP Rolando Pascual way back in September of 2005 is long gone -- Pascual, now 20 years old, committed an error, hit three batters and walked two in his four innings, allowing three runs; the two Brewer corner outfielders, Luis Chirinos (16) and Juan Barrini (17), each had an outfield assist; Chirinos with a sacrifice fly; second baseman Joan Abreu (18) walked in four trips...

DSL Brewers / Orioles Game Log

After watching this series I have to believe that almost every single pitcher in the Angels organization has a power arm, the last pitcher tonight was finally topping out in the high 80s...they've done well finding velocity.

McPhearson hit that ball hard about 3 steps to the SS of 2nd base and they only got him by a step. He was smooth on his only fielding chance.

I think Dennis plays too shallow in RF, maybe X will disagree when he has a chance to post his thoughts.

Sean McCraw... I apologize if any of his family are on the board, but he's just not good at anything, well maybe he blocks okay. Peralta got all the way over near the foul line from the pitcher's mound to dive and miss that pop up bunt hit against him and McCraw wasn't even close. It didn't help the ball got trapped under Peralta which prevented any sort of play on the runners. I guess he just strikes me as slow and sloppy behind the dish.

I was there and I have a hard time believing Cedar Rapids scored that many runs in the 4th especially. In the 5th Peralta started to get tired and leave his fastball up and they hit some ropes off of it. He brings gas though, I didn't even bother with the Stalker, the stadium gun had him at 95 multiple times. I believe he throws a nice tight slider (i was chatting too much to be sure and haven't watched the video yet) and a curve/change? I do wonder if the delay affected him at all, it didn't seem to. The bat boys raced to get a ball that went to the screen one from each side, collided, and one broke his ankle. Thankfully he didn't appear to be in much pain (which is why I think he broke it), it was kind of surreal watching him try to put his foot back where it belonged, not once, but twice before the trainers mobbed him.

I'll feel much better about Frederickson after seeing him in person, once he gets his control down he's going to be a good pitcher, they didn't make much solid contact against him at all. His fastball worked mostly between 90-92 on the stalker, an occasional 89.

Tyson topped out 91-92.

Ohlmann was around 90, the best pitch I saw was 92 on the stalker, which matched the stadium gun. I hope I got this on video but had he covered the plate on his WP they had the guy dead at home, the ball came right back to McCraw on the fly.

Lawrie got ate up by a ball that was taking big bounding hops but managed to make the play. He made a real nice bare handed catch and throw on a chopper over the pitchers mound but was late. He tried to make a similar play later in the game and booted it all the way to SS, but there was no way he had the runner anyway.

Delaney isn't impressive in the field either at 3B, he barely moved on a looping line drive that both my father and I thought he had a decent chance at it. He had the error Tuesday and a total lack of reaction to the ball today... but maybe I'm just catching him on a down cycle.

edit. I see the bat boy debacle made the game recap and it was a broken ankle, the home plate umpire also got dinged twice which delayed the game.

edit 2. Sanchez has a nice arm, he played SS after McPhearson entered the game and had a slight bobble but gunned a rope across the diamond to get the out.

sorry for the xtra edits, I missed some notes the first time through.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived