Brewer Fanatic

McLouth to Braves

Invader3K

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So...what is McLouth's contract status? Is it such that they would feel compelled to move him or are the Pirates just going for perpetual rebuilding?
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

So...what is McLouth's contract status? Is it such that they would feel compelled to move him or are the Pirates just going for perpetual rebuilding?
I was wondering the same, I did hear they have a bunch of OF prospects just about big league ready so that could be part of it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Does this mean McCutcheon is ready for full time MLB action?
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

From MLB.com:

The clubs announced that the Pirates will send McLouth to the Braves in exchange for right-handed pitcher Charlie Morton, left-handed pitcher Jeff Locke and outfielder Gorkys Hernandez.

So...what is McLouth's contract status?
I think the Pirates signed him to a modest three year contract before the start of this season. That didn't last long.

Anxious to hear others' thoughts on those three prospects.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

According to Cot's he signed a 3 year deal for $15.75MM with a club option for 2012 of $10.65MM ($1.25MM buyout).

If they have a cheaper replacement, why not. They aren't going anywhere for some time, might as well get some prospects.

Hernadez was #5 & Locke #8 on last year's BA top 10 list for the Braves. Not sure how current that is.

Found this on McLouth's contract status:

• 3 years/$15.75M (2009-11), plus 2012 club option

• [li]
    signed extension with Pittsburgh 2/17/09 (avoided arbitration, $3.8M-$2.75M)
  • $1.5M signing bonus
  • 09:$2M, 10:$4.5M, 11:$6.5M, 12:$10.65M club option ($1.25M buyout)

[/li]

Edit-SoCal beat me to it. What he said...

I think there's a rule somewhere that you don't trade for Braves pitching prospects, as they have a knack for keeping the ones that pan out and trading the ones that don't.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

There's a phrase I've heard used before. "At some point you have to stop rebuilding and start building." I wonder when the Pirates will do that.
It's hard to build when you've only got one or two decent players coming through the system. The theory behind this trade is sound if you ask me, but whether these guys pan out is another story.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Pirates didn't get enough, me thinks. They give up one of their best players, signed to a reasonable contract, having a decent season, for three minor leaguers, only two of which were listed in the top 10 by BA and John Sickels. None of these guys is considered a sure thing. Nobody was offering anything better? Did the Pirates even shop around?

Mclouth isn't the greatest thing in the world, but he's a good player - certainly an asset for any teams. Perhaps they guys they got are better than I perceive, but it looks like they were shortchanged. And they might feel like they are selling high on Mclouth, which might be true.

Good for Nate. I guess I don't get the move for the Pirates since they had him signed to a decent contract. He's a pretty good player and I know the Brewers weren't 'in the mix', but I sure as heck would've loved to get him some how. He's signed to a pretty fair contract and could've taken over for Cam next year if Cam isn't back. I'll admit we would've had to shuffle some things to get him and figure out playing time this year. This may have been a trade to give up on Jeffress if the organization feels he may struggle for a bit.

No surpise the pirates got taken again. I think Nate has as many home runs as the entire Braves starting OF has at this point in the season. The Braves were desperate for OF offense and the pirates couldn't get more out of them than some second teir pitching prospects? At least they didn't deal him to the cubs.

Looking back at what we gave up for half a season of CC, you have to think the pirates were robbed considering the braves are getting 3 years of McLouth.

Why not wait a little while and see what happens nearer to the trade deadline? I just don't see the urgency here to get some decent (but not sure-thing) prospects. Seems like you could do that any time you wanted....

Do the Pirates have any intention of winning ever? Everytime they get a half way decent player, they go ahead and trade him for whatever they can get. Imagine if theyhad Aramis Ramirez, Jason Bay, Xavier Nady, Nate McClouth, Adam Laroche, and Freddy Sanchez together. They could actually contend.

No way would McLouth takes over in CF for the Brewers. He stinks defensively.
He won the Gold Glove last year. Say what you will about the GG selection process, but it's fair to say he doesn't stink defensively.

The 'rats were right to trade McLouth...he's probably at his peak value right now, though somehow I think they could've gotten a bit more for him.

No he's the poster boy for why Gold Gloves are given to bats and not gloves. Everything measures him to be a win below average in CF.

I'm not saying he's a stud in CF, but how in the world does a Pirate get a GG if he's that bad? Is it because he's so well-known or the Pirates are so popular? He's obviously doing something right in the eyes of the voters. Again, he's not perfect, but either is the Brewers 2010 OF situation until decisions are made with Cam and/or Hart.

Archived