Brewer Fanatic

Braves cut Tom Glavine

burnzy24

Link

According to the article his rehab was going well and he had thrown 11 scoreless innings in his last two rehab starts. "Glavine was due a $1 million bonus if the Braves added him to the active roster and would have received another $1.25 million after 90 days."

Could be worth a shot, I'm guessing Melvin will give his agent a call.

I'm shocked the Braves cut him to save 2.25 mil. He was the face of the franchise for years. I think the Braves owe him an opportunity.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Perfect.

We can sign him and then he can go out and beat the Braves for us this weekend.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Chipper was not happy about Smoltz, I can't imagine he's going to resign after this year, if they even try at this point.
Chipper signed an extension in the offseason that runs through 2012 for $42 million with an option for 2013. He wants to retire with the Braves and who wouldn't for that money.

Yea, I'd be a fan of picking him up. Manny should get some time to figure himself out in AAA or the maybe the bullpen. Makes a lot of sense. Always nice to have another HOFer on the team too.

Wasn't this the same face of the franchise that spurned the Braves to sign with the Mets?

Still, I agree that this is an odd move, and would like to see the Brewers inquire on him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Chipper was not happy about Smoltz, I can't imagine he's going to resign after this year, if they even try at this point.
Chipper signed an extension in the offseason that runs through 2012 for $42 million with an option for 2013. He wants to retire with the Braves and who wouldn't for that money.

Wow, I never saw that. Surprising based on the comments he made about the organization after the Smoltz incident. Thanks for the info.

At this point I doubt he is better than Suppan so I'm less than excited about the prospect of signing him. I guess it couldn't hurt if we don't give him much and can cut bait early.

Sad to see a HOFer like Glavine go through this towards the end, but he isnt the first and definately won't be the last. Per cbssports.com, Tommy Hanson will be making his debut on Saturday in Atlanta against the Crew. He is my favorite non-Brewers prospect, so that will be fun to watch. A few pitching debuts against the Brewers in recent memory that stand out to me are, of course, Anthony Swarzak a few weeks ago, Zack Duke, and Anthony Reyes. Any other 1st career starts against the crew that stand out to anybody?

Sad to see a HOFer like Glavine go through this towards the end, but he isnt the first and definately won't be the last. Per cbssports.com, Tommy Hanson will be making his debut on Saturday in Atlanta against the Crew. He is my favorite non-Brewers prospect, so that will be fun to watch. A few pitching debuts against the Brewers in recent memory that stand out to me are, of course, Anthony Swarzak a few weeks ago, Zack Duke, and Anthony Reyes. Any other 1st career starts against the crew that stand out to anybody?

Randy Wells. How quickly we forget.

With the Braves adding McClouth I don't know that they are completely punting on the season. If Glavine wasn't worth 1 million to the Braves I'd have my doubts about what he has left. His rehab start stats look like he would be still be effective. According to ESPN news this morning he is considering retirement. I'd say that the Mets would be the most logical place for him he was going to play.

Wasn't this the same face of the franchise that spurned the Braves to sign with the Mets?

Beat me to it. I don't think class has anything to do with it. The organization felt it was better off without him. Players get old and when they do they have ot be replaced or the team suffers. Brian Noble often cites something Ron Wolf told him when he was a player "you're only here until I can replace you." That is the only way IMHO a team should handle players regardless of stature. No player in any sport has earned the right to hurt the team. Neither do they have the right to be on the team if there is someone who is better than them. That would be a disservice to the rest of the team.

If the choice is to be classy or do what it takes to be competitive while still remaining financially sound sign me up for the belching contest.

as far as him helping us if he has anything left it might be worth a shot. We would be a good situation for him. Not on the other side of the country and it's a team that has a real chance at the post season.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The Braves made a business decision. The same franchise sold the greatest lefthander of all time to the Mets 45 years ago. As beloved as Spahn was and hated the Braves management was back then, it saved Spahn from enduring one of the saddest times ever in Milwaukee (the lame duck 65 season), and it also spared us from seeing Spahn struggle mightily to hang on.

I like how Harold Reynolds said it last night on MLB Network. What he basically said, as a baseball move, I understand it, but as a personnel move, I don't like it. He pointed out that none of us knows what happened behind closed doors and he would hope that with what Glavine has meant to that organization, they would have pulled him into a meeting and offered him a chance to decide if he would like to retire and they could give him a big send off, or otherwise go this route as a worst case scenario. The reports right now seem mixed on if that happened or not.

I agree with what he said. I grew up a Braves fan and have fond feelings for Glavine and was very happy to see him come back to Atlanta, so on a personal level, I don't like the move, but I understand why they had to do it. They really don't have room for him on the staff, they have a decent young staff and they're better off using that roster spot and money elsewhere as a club. I would just hope they gave him a chance to just retire if he wanted and not have a PR blight like this on the heels of John Smoltz.

Archived