Brewer Fanatic

Who's on your 2009 All-Star Teams?

I didn't mean to seem as if I was questioning Ibanez, he has been amazing so far, although his D has always been questionable but his offense so far is off the charts so hard to argue that one. I was just curious about the Braun/Kemp comparison just because I have seen a few "mock" All -Star teams with Kemp over Braun, I'll admit I like both players and it is hard to complain about either.

Braun and Hoffman will make the team. I think Cam is having a better year than Prince, but there are a lot of quality outfielders. Yo doesn't have the stats.

I'm not sure I agree. I think Prince has had a better year than Cameron. It's just that we expect more out of Prince than Cam, therefore it sometimes feels as though Cam is having a better year. As far as Yo goes, if he can get to nine wins and keep his ERA about the same, I think he should definitely be on the roster (though I don't care about W-L records as much as all-star selections seem to hinge on them).. He go 2 no decisions in a 1-0 win and a 1-0 loss and won two games with his bat. He could easily only have 4 wins due to bad luck).

My AL starters:

C-Joe Mauer

1B-Justin Morneau

2B-Ian Kinsler

3B-Evan Longoria

SS-Derek Jeter

OF-Jason Bay

OF-Nelson Cruz

OF-Torii Hunter

SP-Zack Greinke

RP-Frank Francisco

My NL starters

C-Brian McCann

1B-Albert Pujols

2B-Chase Utley

3B-Ryan Zimmerman

SS-Hanley Ramirez

OF-Raul Ibanez

OF-Justin Upton

OF-Carlos Beltran

SP-Johan Santana

RP-Trevor Hoffman

One Stop Shop For Cell Phone Accessories. Like US On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MR-Wireless/233579846693356

It's going to be interesting to see if Prince makes it as a reserve. He's the best hitter for one of the best teams in baseball with a .427 OBP and 2nd overall in the NL with 52 RBI's so you can make the case he is having an allstar season. Gonzales unfortunately probably has the #2 spot behind Pujols because of his homers, slugging percentage, better defense and his being able to represent SD as their their sole player. So Prince's best chance will be if the NL teams fields 3 first basemen and I don't think this is likely. What is interesting is if this were up to the fans Gonzales would only be the fifth best 1b according to early voting results which is funny...

Speaking of near miss first basemen allstars, how about Russel Branyan? Granted he isn't going to make it, but he is putting some nice numbers... 423 OBP and slugging 609. Wouldn't he be nice to have as a Brewer...

Braun while maybe technically isn't starting material this year due to the competition, he should start thanks to fan voting which has him topping all other outfielders.

For those curious, check out the early fan results at http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/allstar/voting . Milwaukee players are represented VERY well. Bill Hall is 3rd in fan voting at 3b and Kendal is 2nd at catcher!

Prince's numbers definitely justify him being on the all-start team. He is only behind Pujols and Gonzalez in OPS. Prince's numbers are actually better than Ryan Howard's right now, but that will be a close pick.

Braun needs to go on a hot streak and then he will work is way back into a deserved starter. He is 7th in OPS behind Ibanez, Hawpe (what really under the radar season he is having), Beltran, Upton, Pence and Dunn. He definitely should be on the team and the massive amount of votes Brewer fans put out there should give him a chance to start.

We are talking about the All Star game so I would hardly be focusing merely on OBP. I could care less about how much a guy walks vs someone who can hit. I watch to see good hitters, great pitching, and great defense. I don't watch to see a guy walk.

We are talking about the All Star game so I would hardly be focusing merely on OBP. I could care less about how much a guy walks vs someone who can hit. I watch to see good hitters, great pitching, and great defense. I don't watch to see a guy walk.
Good hitters walk so I guess I disagree with this. I don't go to watch some hacker who swings at the first pitch and doesn't know how to work a count but just makes contact a lot, if I wanted to see that I'd go back in time and watch old time baseball~.

The third ballot update for the NL all-stars has come out today and you can see the results at the bottom of http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...009&fext=.jsp#nlvote .

The most notable change is that Braun has slipped from #1 to #2.

Ibanez completely deserves to be number 1. Beltran should be in as well. Braun should not slip past any of the other guys on that list. Upton not even being on the list is wrong, but he will get on the team. Braun in what seems to be a ho-hum type start still has an OPS of .963 which is great.

I really worry about Prince making it as well. Pujols is a lock as starter and Gonzalez has had a great year and will most likely be the lone Padre selected unless they take Heath Bell. But here is where I have concerns. The Rockies and Nationals are awful and one of the best candidates on each team is a 1B. You have Helton for the Rockies and Nick Johnson for the Nationals. I guess you could take someone like Huston Street or Ubaldo Jimenez for the Rockies and Adam Dunn (maybe the more likely choice) for the Nationals, but one of those two could easily be selected. And I haven't even mentioned Ryan Howard yet.

Brad Hawpe could easily make it as an OF and Ryan Zimmerman could be the 3b on the team. I would say Dunn and Zimmerman both have better shots and are more deserving than Johnson. Prince leads Ryan Howard in just about every category outside of HR's so I think Prince should be on the team before him. Pujols and Gonzalez are locks.

Brad Hawpe could easily make it as an OF and Ryan Zimmerman could be the 3b on the team. I would say Dunn and Zimmerman both have better shots and are more deserving than Johnson. Prince leads Ryan Howard in just about every category outside of HR's so I think Prince should be on the team before him. Pujols and Gonzalez are locks.
Completey forgot about the year Zimmerman was having and I had no idea that Brad Hawpe's numbers were so good.

So far, Trevor Hoffman has the best chance to make it followed by Braun, Fielder, and Gallardo in that order. Still a month to go, so it's still wide open. For example, if Fielder is leading the NL in RBI and top 3 in HR it will be real hard to keep him out. Braun I think has a better shot because he may very well get voted in as a starter. Gallardo is in the mix, he just needs 4 or 5 wins before the break. Maybe Cameron makes it in on "final fan pick."

Archived