Brewer Fanatic

What rookies in the division scare you?

In the last couple of weeks we've gotten to see Jay Bruce and Colby Rasmus play against the Crew. These guys are probably going to prove to be a thorn in the side of the Crew for years to come. The scary thing is that the their teams are probably going to be good for a while too.

Also, I don't know why Cubs fans were bemoaning having to rely on Randy Wells for a while. He's been great for the Cubs in the last few starts. Is he just getting lucky or is he going to bolster the Cubs lineup for years to come? I was feeling a bit jealous tonight that this fill-in guy was doing great for the Cubs while one of our pitchers of the future was handing out runs to the Marlins.

Who else do think the Crew has to worry about from divisional rivals in the next few years?

In the last couple of weeks we've gotten to see Jay Bruce and Colby Rasmus play against the Crew. These guys are probably going to prove to be a thorn in the side of the Crew for years to come. The scary thing is that the their teams are probably going to be good for a while too.

I think Rasmus and Bruce are the 2 best prospects in the Central. None of the Cubbies prospects seem that impressive.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I think Rasmus and Bruce are the 2 best prospects in the Central. None of the Cubbies prospects seem that impressive.

Votto is by far the best prospect in the central imo, he is one of the highest upside players in the division. Cueto is the highest upside pitcher along with Wandy Rodriguez if you still call him a prospect.

How is Votto a prospect? He's got over 800 MLB PA's and he's 25. Bruce I can kind of see calling a prospect because he's only 22 still, but he's not a rookie either, he got 450+ PAs last year. Wandy Rodriguez is 30, one might as well call Carlos Zambrano (who's still just 28) a prospect. I'm not denying that Wandy may still have some upside, but that seems to stretch the definition a bit far.

Anyway, this is where the Pirates' cheapness has really helped NL Central teams, otherwise we'd all have to be fearing Matt Wieters. The Cubs actually passed on him too but at least they got Josh Vitters (who is currently dominating the Midwest League as a 19 year old). The Pirates are stuck with a terrible relief pitcher who is striking out 3 guys per 9 in AA.

As for division rookies who I fear, I'm a bit worried about Jake Fox. I know they say that he doesn't have a position but his numbers are totally ridiculous. He was terrorizing AAA to a greater extent than even Russ Branyan and Nelson Cruz were last year and we've all seen how well those two have hit since they got called back up. If they can find Fox some AB's, they may have something there.

Before the season I was worried that the Cardinals might have the next dominating reliever in Jason Motte, but he's only been good so far, not great. I'm still pretty worried about him long-term though because he's been pitching for just 4 years and would seem to still have room for improvement. That 110 K's in 66.2 inning with Memphis last year really stands out. That's a Brad Lidge type of number.

Rasmus looks like he could be good, I'm not sure though. He didn't do much in AAA last year but looks pretty serviceable for a 22 year old in the majors this season. The Cards will be hoping for an Adam Jones-esque break out from him in the future. Jones just held his own for his first year+ in the majors and is now showing why he was a highly regarded prospect. Of course, Chris Young's career path is also possible. I guess I don't have a strong feeling on Rasmus one way or the other.

Randy Wells is doing well for us, although he'll never get a win because the bullpen hates him. Seriously though, Brewers are the last ones who should be "jealous" of any teams prospects, as prett much everyone they bring up turns to gold. Jake Fox is another you might want to watch out for, although Im betting that by July hes DHing in Baltimore or Seattle or some black hole like that.

Fox scares me. The guy can rake. The problem for the Cubs is they won't displace a high priced veteran to find a spot for him to play. He's much more valuable as an AL player too but the Cubs are hampered in dealing him because of their ownership situation. Let's see how Wells does the 2nd time around the league.

Rasmus is a nice player too, though he's really no more productive right now than Ankiel has been.

Jake Fox is another you might want to watch out for, although Im betting that by July hes DHing in Baltimore or Seattle or some black hole like that.
So you thinking Fox and prospects for Bedard?

Jake Fox is another you might want to watch out for, although Im betting that by July hes DHing in Baltimore or Seattle or some black hole like that.
So you thinking Fox and prospects for Bedard?

LOL, that would be nice, but Im thinking more Russell Branyan to fill in while Ramirez is out and then be a backup/pinch hitter or Dennys Baez of Jim Johnson to fix that dreadfull bullpen of ours.

Seriously though, Brewers are the last ones who should be "jealous" of any teams prospects, as prett much everyone they bring up turns to gold.

I'm impressed that fans from outside the Brewers organization sees Milwaukee in this way, while those of us that follow the team probably would disagree with this statement. I appreciate the compliment, although I think we are far from an "everyone they bring up turns to gold" truth.

Jake Fox may be a stud but he may be another Gary Scott. Same thing with Vitters. I like Alvarez of the Pirates but it's likely another year (or two?) that we'll have to worry about him. I really think Jay Bruce will be the real deal, but he's still young and has time to grow and mature as a hitter. Cueto I feel is a Tommy John surgery just waiting to happen. Colby Rasmus appears to be hitting the cover off the ball so he's probably somebody we'll have to worry about for the next 7 years. Houston has .....? Okay, nobody springs to mind for them.

All-in-all, I think the central division has some pretty decent prospects. But everyone in baseball does.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Hardy, Fielder, Braun and Gallardo have all come up and become some of the better players in the NL. Hart is certainly serviceable. That is a lot of 'gold' over the past few seasons, not too many teams can compare with that from home grown talent over the past few seasons.

I have to agree on Alvarez, Rasmus, Votto & the Cincy pitchers, but I'm surprised there hasn't been a mention of Jay Bruce yet. That dude scares me.

The Reds in general have a really nice young core that they've gotten together. This is why it's critical we do everything in our powers to keep Dusty Baker as their manager. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Hardy, Fielder, Braun and Gallardo have all come up and become some of the better players in the NL. Hart is certainly serviceable. That is a lot of 'gold' over the past few seasons, not too many teams can compare with that from home grown talent over the past few seasons.

Tampa Bay(pretty much the whole team minus Pena and Kasmir), Boston(Youk, Pedroia, Lester, Papelbon), The Dodgers(Kemp, Loney, Martin, Billingsly, Broxton) and Phillies(Rollins, Howard, Utley, Hamels) are the only ones in that same league.

I'm impressed that fans from outside the Brewers organization sees Milwaukee in this way, while those of us that follow the team probably would disagree with this statement. I appreciate the compliment, although I think we are far from an "everyone they bring up turns to gold" truth.

Jake Fox may be a stud but he may be another Gary Scott. Same thing with Vitters. I like Alvarez of the Pirates but it's likely another year (or two?) that we'll have to worry about him. I really think Jay Bruce will be the real deal, but he's still young and has time to grow and mature as a hitter. Cueto I feel is a Tommy John surgery just waiting to happen. Colby Rasmus appears to be hitting the cover off the ball so he's probably somebody we'll have to worry about for the next 7 years. Houston has .....? Okay, nobody springs to mind for them.

Problem with Fox is if hes going to make it, it will be as a DH who can occasionally start at first base. Througout his 6 years in the minors, hes always had a bat, but hes been tried at C, 1st, 3rd and both corner outfield positions, and the only 1 he hasnt been brutal at was 1st, and even there he was below average. I could see a rebuidling team like Baltimore or Seattle showing interest, but woulndt offer all that much. Also, Pinella seems to have it out for him. He seems to be the last option off the bench every time.

I think Votto is an incredible young hitter. I think he is better than Fielder already.
I don't. He might be someday, but he's 8 months older than Fielder and hasn't anything close to Prince's 2007 season. He's off to a great start this year though.

Most of them were quality players right away. Only Hardy really struggled with the bat his first year and that only lasted about half a season.

Bruce has a monster bat and has hit some moon shots this year. His average is down a bit but it sounds like that is not a concern in the future. His swing kind of reminds me of Braun's swing. A guy that is lighting up the minors is Josh Vitters. The guy is demonstating that he has a polished bat at a young age. He has some work to do with the glove but that is improving. We won't have to worry about him for awhile because he is behind Ramirez and the Cubs are not going to rush him through the minors.

Bruce has a monster bat and has hit some moon shots this year. His average is down a bit but it sounds like that is not a concern in the future. His swing kind of reminds me of Braun's swing. A guy that is lighting up the minors is Josh Vitters. The guy is demonstating that he has a polished bat at a young age. He has some work to do with the glove but that is improving. We won't have to worry about him for awhile because he is behind Ramirez and the Cubs are not going to rush him through the minors.

By the time Vitters is ready, the Cubs and Brewers will be back to there old selves, duking it out for 4th or 5th place

I don't. He might be someday, but he's 8 months older than Fielder and hasn't anything close to Prince's 2007 season. He's off to a great start this year though.

It's pretty easy to forget how young our guys are. Yo is 23, Parra's 26, Fielder's 25, Gamel's 23, Hardy's 26, Braun's 25, Weeks is 26, Hart's 27, Villy's 25. It's just too bad we aren't still playing back in the days when players stayed with one team their whole career.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm surprised there hasn't been a mention of Jay Bruce yet
First two posts of the thread.

I think Soto could still be quite scary, don't know what's up with this sophomore slump of his.

In his third season, he might be too old for this thread, but Hunter Pence scares me 'cos you just know that weird-looking twerp is going to do something at the plate against us -- likely a cheap infield hit. I've been sick of him from day one.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Archived