Brewer Fanatic

What is the deal with Manny Parra?

(title should be read in a Jerry Seinfeld voice)

Seriously though -- what gives? Did he pitch too many innings last year? Is he a head-case?

It's June now, and his ERA is 6.75. His WHIP is 1.83. That's bad. Obviously, he deserves (and will get) more time to hopefully figure it out, but I think even the more conservative predictions would have had his progress far beyond what it currently is. By all accounts he has great stuff, and these struggles seem to be beyond any expected growing pains. It's really frustrating to watch.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His walk rate has always been above average since getting called up but this year it's just been terrible. His command is just gone right now.

P.S. I'm really hoping this thread doesn't devolve into every thread about a struggling player. Can we stay on topic and not turn this into another "Player X stinks! DFA Player X!"?

P.S. I'm really hoping this thread doesn't devolve into every thread about a struggling player. Can we stay on topic and not turn this into another "Player X stinks! DFA Player X!"?

I agree. On a similar note, I also hope it doesn't turn into a "He's young! He'll be fine! Stop freaking out! The sky isn't falling, you jerk!!" thread either, because anybody with any sense can see that is not the premise of the original post...

I think Manny is one of those unfortunate guys that opponents just know they can beat, even though he has good stuff. I think the hitters are more confident that they can hit him than Manny is that he can get guys out. Hitters look for his mistakes, and Manny puts himslef in position to make mistakes.In a way he's like a cornerback who can run with anyone and usually has good technique, but always just seems to get beat on third and 17, or for a long TD late in the 4th quarter.

I would hope we're all capable of playing nice in this thread. I imagine this thread won't stay open long if that's not the case.

On the topic of Parra, it really looks like he's lost confidence out there. Some were saying in the game thread that it looks like he doesn't care or that he takes a lackadaisical approach on the mound, but I don't necessarily agree with that. To me he looks more helpless than anything, because he can't seem to find the strike zone with anything but an arrow-straight fastball. I wouldn't be opposed to sending him to Nashville to iron everything out, but then the issue becomes who they can replace him with.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'd really like to see the Crew consider sending Manny to AAA to work through his problems against slightly lower competition. He needs to go down there, get his mechanics in line, and get his mental approach fixed. Heck, it could be time for a Roy Halladay-like statement to Manny by sending him to A-ball. He's been rather Jorge de la Rosa-like, but his minor league numbers always indicated Manny should be an innings-eater with impecable command and nice strikeout totals. So far the K numbers have been inconsistent, the command has completely evaporated, and he's hurting the entire pitching staff w/short outings. Plus, we're seeing his shoulders and body flying all over the place this year. His mechanics and mental game appear off, and he looks defeated. At this point, I'd advocate one more start to see how he responds after this lashing. I still think the world of Manny Parra, but this season is not helping him develop

This is about the same time Dave Bush got sent down last season with an ERA of 6+. I disagree with the notion that he needs more time to figure it out. Figure it out in a Sounds uniform.

Tim Dillard is probably an answer for a short term replacement...I would not be surprised if Melvin is seriously looking at options outside the organization to bolster the rotation, though.

I do think Parra should be sent down though, at least for a while. He just doesn't instill any confidence that the team will have a chance to win when he is on the mound.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The advantage to Dillard is that he is a strike-thrower. He has worked rather efficiently in AAA. He should be able to get us through 6 innings per start. Additional advantages are past MLB success and that he's on the 40-man roster.

I wish DiFelice wasn't hurt/bereaved, swapping him and Parra for a couple weeks could make some sense. Of course, who knows if the Brewers would want to mess with DiFelice's success anyway.

I think Manny is one of those unfortunate guys that opponents just know they can beat, even though he has good stuff. I think the hitters are more confident that they can hit him than Manny is that he can get guys ou.

Batters think they can beat Manny right now because Manny can't throw anything but his fastball for strikes. Batters are just waiting for his fastball. You are making the chicken the egg.

I would be shocked if Manny doesnt get sent down after this game. He really could use a few weeks in Nashville to get himself starightened out.

I was thinking the same thing after Macha went out for that little chat in the 4th inning. Probably not the worst idea to give him some time to work on it, think about it...and hopefully come back ready to have a good second half.

The only problem as I see it is that this would more or less be the second time in two seasons they would be doing that, after they shut him down last September. At some point I hope this becomes a case of the light going on, and not a case of the bulb actually being burned out. Clearly way too early to make that determination. If we are having the same conversation on June 2nd, 2010, I will be far more concerned.

Now would be the time to make the Dillard move. It'd line up nicely without interrupting the rotation.
This is just what I was thinking. Bringing up Dillard for Julio would have messed up Tim's days off, but bringing him up for Parra wouldn't.

I don't know if I can hope for two Brewer wishes granted in two days, but as much as I root for Manny, he needs some help.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Manny seems to have little ability to repeat what he's doing well while forgetting about what he's done wrong. This consistently occurs from inning to inning and even batter to batter. He looked great in the first inning and then he gives up the dinger to Uggla and his entire demeanor changed. You could almost see the confidence leave him on the mound, and his body language and facial expression said it all as he walked back to the dugout that inning. I mentioned a lack of maturity in the in-game thread and maybe that was not the right word. Emotions, concentration, stubbornness, baseball intelligence? Any and all of these may apply, but I feel most of his issues are in the old skull cap. I'm sure mechanics have something to do with it as well, but the black and white inconsistency indicates something more than that to me. I hope he can figure it out, and I'm sure this is the low point for him. I'm just not sure the Brewers should be patient anymore. If he brings us Peavy in a trade, it's worth giving up potential for consistency in my opinion.

Maybe we've been spoiled by Gallardo and Braun, but such are the struggles of young players. Since Manny missed time with injuries he's probably a year or two younger than his age. Whether it's mental or mechanics or both he needs to get it figured out. The question is can he get it done during the season or does he need a trip to Nashville to do it. The Brewers are in a win now mode and if he's not one of the top 5 options or doesn't get paid $12mm per year, at some point they may need to make a move. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but it has helped some other guys before. Dillard is certainly proving his worth down at AAA.

I still wouldn't trade him for Peavy.

One thing with Manny is that it's possible he still hasn't figured out who he is as a pitcher. We know that in the minors he supposedly wanted to throw like 7 or 8 pitches, but the Brewers told him to focus on a few. We know this spring that he was trying to be more like Sabathia with the changeup. It really seems like Manny hasn't invented who he is as a pitcher. Additionally, the pitcher he was in the minors has not made many appearances in MLB yet.

I think Manny needs to head to Nashville. I know people say 'he has electric stuff' and such like that, but I guess I don't know if that's 100% the case with Manny. I think he has good stuff...not electric. He's more of a command pitcher with good stuff when he's on. I guess my opinion on pure 'stuff' from what I've seen from him in the minors is that he's like Yo when he's on. I don't know if Yo's stuff is 'electric', but he has some plus pitches and pretty much can put them where he wants to. I'm not knocking on Manny or Yo. I don't want to compare, but I don't think a guy like Maddux had 'electric' stuff. He had plus pitches and had great location. Yo is more like that IMO and seems to really, really hide the ball from a hitter. I think Manny is a LH of Yo when he's on. The problem is his stuff isn't good enough to be wild since it's not 'electric'. The same would probably go for Yo, but Yo has control well beyond his years. Manny just doesn't have the pure power stuff that MLB pitchers will swing at when out of the zone and seems to throw meatballs when his control is gone.

I've been a Manny fan for a long time. I think he needs to take a trip to Nashville and get some confidence back. Dillard deserves a shot. Swap the two and see what happens. If they both pitch well, it's not the end of the world and the Brewers will have a 'good' problem to have. Manny is at a critical spot. I'm a really big fan of his when I got to see him Nashville, but I've always been cautious to label him as a #2 or #3 type guy. He very well could be, but he has room to grow and there will no doubt be some bumps. As much as we like to say the Brewers were fine last year with Sheets and CC came when Sheets was 'bad' so we'll be ok because Yo is here, etc, etc I think that just assumes Manny would/will figure it out. The Brewers can't afford to have a guy pitching like Manny is right now and continue to compete unless the other guys pick him up. I'd prefer to make a move ASAP and get Manny back in Milwaukee by the end of June.

Let him pitch his next start and go from there. If he struggles in his next start, skip the next one and let him work out of the pen for a bit. We have an off day and the rest of the pitchers would go on normal rest. He was streaky within games last year where he would be ok then "lose it" for a few batters. Seems magnified a bit this year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived