Brewer Fanatic

Julio released; Mike Burns recalled [Latest: Julio to Rays (reply 26)]

1992casey

Per Tom Haudricourt:

The Brewers have released Julio and called up journeyman reliever Mike Burns from Class AAA Nashville. Burns, 30, was pitching well for the Sounds, going 6-2 with a 2.98 ERA in 10 starts, including a shutout....

Burns has pitched in the majors for Houston, Cincinnati and Boston. In 45 relief appearances, he has a 5.88 ERA with 69 hits and 12 walks allowed in 52 innings, with 36 strikeouts.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

As with every team, every year, that final bullpen spot will be a revolving door all year. Burns, Smith, Dillard, (the lefty whose name a I forget, and a cast of thousands. Hopefully one of them can stick- would be nice if it was a lefty though.

Looking too quickly at the tags 1992casey applied to this thread, I thought the second one said "bums" instead of "burns."

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/a/0/0/5/e/AAAACstJyMYAAAAAAAXmsQ.jpg

Sorry, Jorge, but once hawing turns on you, it's hard for the Brewers not to follow suit. Ask Jose Capellan.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I would have gone with Smith or Ginter myself. Not that Burns hadn't earned it, but why take a guy who's fully stretched out and relegate him to the mop up/middle relief role which will result in him not being fully stretched in a few weeks. I'd rather have him in reserve to take a start if need arises.

Looking too quickly at the tags 1992casey applied to this thread, I thought the second one said "bums" instead of "burns."

While I was in the vacinity, I very happily changed all of the "julio" search tags to "formerbrewers."

I see TH's blog entry was also mentioned in the massive Julio signing thread. If nothing else, I think Mike Burns deserves a new thread, though.

EDIT:

JB12, I think the Brewers also find themselves in need of someone who can fill McClung's role for the next couple of days. Burns would seem tailor made to do that.

As with every team, every year, that final bullpen spot will be a revolving door all year.
Yup, the final spot is like that third pair of jeans. Try as you may to expand the wardrobe and utilize three pairs of jeans you always revert back two. Unless, of course, you are going to the baseball equivalent of a blow out, a hoe-down, in which case Julio is needed along with a banjo.

This brought a smile to my face because:

a) Julio is gone

b) When something goes wrong with Burns on the mound, I can pull out the old "I was saying 'boo-urns'" line, and it will make sense.

Folks in the chatroom last night called it, congrats. I thought DM would be too stubborn/patient to literally see the guy cut the next day. I think it's a good sign about our organization.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I thought DM would be too stubborn/patient to literally see the guy cut the next day. I think it's a good sign about our organization.
I think it also speaks to the influence Macha may have over DM, and possibly the reason he kept him in there last night.

dlk9s with the post of the millennium! Millennium Falcon that is! *boos himself scornfully*

b) When something goes wrong with Burns on the mound, I can pull out the old "I was saying 'boo-urns'" line, and it will make sense

This thread is awesome. Who knew it could get better than a spite-filled DFA of Jorge Julio! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I thought DM would be too stubborn/patient to literally see the guy cut the next day. I think it's a good sign about our organization.
I think it also speaks to the influence Macha may have over DM, and possibly the reason he kept him in there last night.
After reading Moneyball, I still find it hard to believe that any manger has any influence over a GM ... especially Macha.

In a typical (and ideal situation), I think you would find that the general manager decides on the roster with his field manager having input. Likewise, the field manager would decide who plays and when, with the general manager having input.

I believe Bill Parcells said it best when he said (paraphrasing) "If you want me to cook dinner, it would be nice if I could at least pick out some of the groceries."

Different sport, still applies.

Archived