Brewer Fanatic

The Tonight Show with Conan O' Brien

adamb100

I am not sure if I've ever seen a more painful, cliched opening than Conan running across America. You could literally hear remotes all over the nation clicking to another channel.

Of course, the fact he went from New York City to Vegas while only hitting Chicago and St. Louis is 100% accurate in the eyes of the people on the coasts.

I think the big winner will be Nightline, with Kimmel getting a bump, so he'll compete with the 2nd half of the others pretty evenly. And while I may be simply too old to understand him, every day that passes with Fallon hosting a show is one more day of proof that he has sold his soul. I'd rather watch someone kick a litter of puppies.

I am not sure if I've ever seen a more painful, cliched opening than Conan running across America. You could literally hear remotes all over the nation clicking to another channel.
Painful and cliched is the last 17 years of Jay Leno and his hackneyed jokes. Painful and cliched is the 1000th airing on Letterman of "Does it float?". Painful and cliched is 30 seconds of Two and a Half Men (a full episode is out and out torture). Painful and cliched in this instance is simply running in front of blue screens. The fact that it was 4 minutes long, a run through Wrigley, a stop at the doll museum, etc. was a turn on that cliche.

But if you didn't like it, of course it must be terrible...

Of course, the fact he went from New York City to Vegas while only hitting Chicago and St. Louis is 100% accurate in the eyes of the people on the coasts.
Yes, this was a fatal mistake. Clearly the entirety of the first show should have been Conan stopping at podunk towns.

To be fair, he did hit up the Rocky Mountains and Las Vegas. I thought the running across America bit was cute. I thought it was cool they actually went to all those places and filmed him running there. I didn't think it was laugh out loud funny but it did make me smile.

Painful and cliched is the last 17 years of Jay Leno and his hackneyed jokes. Painful and cliched is the 1000th airing on Letterman of "Does it float?". Painful and cliched is 30 seconds of Two and a Half Men (a full episode is out and out torture). Painful and cliched in this instance is simply running in front of blue screens. The fact that it was 4 minutes long, a run through Wrigley, a stop at the doll museum, etc. was a turn on that cliche.
I agree with you completely. Choosing between Letterman (just plain lame to me), Leno (jokes are so predictable, only part I liked was headlines) and Two and Half Men (why is this show popular?) is what drives to me watch episodes of TV shows on DVD late at night. Conan has always been original if nothing else.

Conan has enough of an audience from Late Night that he should be successful. The ratings from people simply falling asleep with their TV on following the news should be enough. I love his show so I'm a little biased here but what is there to hate about him? I enjoyed his bit running across the country. I think it comes down to if you like him you'll like the show, if you don't like him it doesn't matter what he does you won't like the show. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Archived