Brewer Fanatic

The Tonight Show with Conan O' Brien

adamb100

The first episode aired tonight replacing Leno as host after 17 years. Wondering what you thought of the first episode.

I thought the show was decent. The opening with Conan running to LA was pretty good and the Will Ferral opening was good as well. Pearl Jam also sang good.

I thought Conan's monologue was weak however.

I haven't watched it all yet. The running to LA bit was funny, the monologue itself was eh, but I've never found that to be Conan's strength anyway. However, they peppered in quite a few skits into the monologue, where Conan lives. I did like the Universal Studio Tour, there were some good moments there.

Too old to be a Pearl Jam fan. Ferrell was his normal unusual self.

I thought the running through Wrigley, being chased, was a hoot, tho!

Think Conan was nervous last night and will settle in real soon to what we have come to expect from him...

The Pearl Jam song sounded really cool, but the sound mixing was awful. Maybe they are still learning the studio, but Eddie was trying very hard to overcome the guitars. Nice Ramones-style stuff though. If the new album is anywhere close to Avocado, I'll be happy.

It looked to me like Conan was nervous out there during the monologue. I know that Conan said he wasn't going to change anything about his show now that he is in the earlier time slot, but I couldn't help but feel that I wasn't his target audience anymore, like he was secretly trying to appeal more to the 'older' demographic who were used to Leno. The show was just missing some of the flow I'm used to, but I'll keep watching to see if I can warm up to it. A "Keep cool my babies" would be nice.

I didn't think he looked particularly nervous... just my two cents on that.

I really enjoyed the show, but I really enjoy Conan's show(s). No surprise there. The Universal Studios skit was great, and I agree with CrewDood -- loved the detail of running through Wrigley & getting chased... and getting away http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My opinion of the first show was mixed, but I'm sure things will be fine once everyone settles in. Andy Richter makes a great announcer. I'm looking forward to seeing him involved in all of Conan's antics once again.

Joel Goddard was the funniest person on Late Night. It will be tough for them to come up with anything as funny as the stuff involving Joel.

I think Conan will do fine. I'm sure part of the reason NBC was so eager to make the switch is that they probably really want a younger audience than what Leno was getting. It sucks that Conan will most likely have to water down his act somewhat, but he's still a funny and quick-witted personality.

I'm a Conan fan and admittedly not a Leno fan. I agree that the running to LA bit was funny. The monologue wasn't great but I think that is part of the first night situation. He has to address things a little bit. He even said that the first night would be a little different than normal. I'm sure that the show will "go back to normal" soon enough. I hate to say this but Andy Richter was just awkward as the announcer. Conan grew into a better host and personality with out him and bringing him back is kind of disappointing. I'll try and be patient and see if down the road Andy fits in better. So far so good in my opinion though.

Community Moderator
Nice to see a more "Conan-like" show last night. I agree that it's nice to see Andy back- I'd imagine they're going to use him like Ed McMahon, where he's much more visible during the show as Conan gets more settled in.

Nice to see a more "Conan-like" show last night. I agree that it's nice to see Andy back- I'd imagine they're going to use him like Ed McMahon, where he's much more visible during the show as Conan gets more settled in.
I missed the show last night. Who were the guests and music guest?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Zing!

I'm not sure how I feel about Andy Richter as the announcer. The podium off to the side like that just seems awkward. It just seems strange for the main "sidekick" not to be a member of a band or something so they don't just stand there when they aren't talking.

I haven't been much of a fan of the late night shows for awhile now, i generally would only tune in when i knew a certain guest would be on that interested me. Of all the host, Conan was the guy i've liked the least, he rarely ever made me laugh. Then again, none were that funny so i'd usually skip over most of the show and only turn it on when the guest i wanted to see came out.

I did watch though the whole first night of Conan and i didn't laugh once, but oh well, it's no big loss because Leno wasn't exactly a bucket of laughs either, but i did like his interviews of guests.

Archived