Brewer Fanatic

Padres interest in Geoff Jenkins

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Padres are still interested in Geoff Jenkins.

it's a buyer's market for outfielders: The Brewers need to move either Geoff Jenkins or Kevin Mench. The Cubs' Jacque Jones also remains available, along with the Royals' Reggie Sanders, Tigers' Marcus Thames and Orioles' Jay Gibbons.

The Padres are interested in Jenkins, but first want to determine the viability of a Terrmel Sledge/Jose Cruz Jr. combination in left. Scott Linebrink-for-Aaron Roward remains another possibility for the Pads; the Phillies then would trade right-hander Jon Lieber for an outfielder in a separate deal.

msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6504428

Since we are on a pitching and defense kick this year anyways, is there any shot could we acquire Linebrink for one of our OF's?

I can't believe the Padres would do Linebrink for Aaron Rowand. But if they would, I'd certainly see what they thought about Jenkins or Mench. Linebrink would look awesome in our bullpen working the 8th inning.

Jenkins for Branyan??

I am one of the biggest Branyan fans in the world, but there's no way I'd trade Jenkins for him. Maybe him and another player of similar value, but not just for Branyan.

I think whatever the Brewers get in return won't be worth as much as Jenkins, so why trade him?

Quote:
so why trade him?
because if he's going to complain and do it to via media, he's not worth as much as is estimated. That's not what this team needs -- a guy complaining about not playing when it isn't just about him "sucking" or whatever people want to say.

Jenks may be many things, but he doesn't suck. If he'd be willing to recognize that allowing Mench, or someone that shines against LHP, then our team will be dangerous, IMO. Having Jenks in v. RHP in the 5-slot or 6-slot is not bad at all.

But if he insists that he won't accept that role, then I believe it's time to allow him to move on. I can't be mad at that. If he has a viable opportunity to cash in, I'd trade that for his "team-first" attitude that certainly isn't a myth. Fair trade. I just wish he'd stick around

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Personally, I think the best possible situation would be a platoon, which would form a pretty descent number 5 or 6 hitter. But if both Jenkins and Mench are going to force the team to make a move (which it seems they're doing by both of their apparent unwillingness to platoon) than I would do Linebrink in a heartbeat. Unfortunately the Padres have been very reluctant to give up Linebrink and seem to rather keep him than trade him for under market value.

I think Todd Walker in return for Jenkins makes a lot more sense especially if they decide that Braun needs more seasoning and Koskie is lost.

Walker would be fine too. I still prefer Branyan (but lets not get into it), though with our new anti-K attitude Walker would fit in nice.

I'm not sure I like any of these trades straight up though. Jenkins will outproduce any of these guys. I'm sure Melvin would ask for his usual nugget as well though.

However, Walker does not fit the "What do we do when Koskie returns/Braun comes up" concern that Doug has spoke of.

If we just needed a short-term 3B, Dave Bell did fine and is at least a plus defender and "gritty", he'd probably sign a minor league deal.

I barely recall Walker ever playing 3B. He'd certainly be a fine pickup if he's capable and available.

"I barely recall Walker ever playing 3B"

He played 23 games for the Padres at 3rd after they picked him up last year Al. He showed some rust there to be sure as he hadn't played third since early in his Twins days.

Neither Graffanino (995 innings) or Walker (605 innnigs) has played much third. Certainly Walker is not a defensive whiz anywhere on the field.

But Walker fits offensively much more than say Bell if Jenkins is dealt. Walker hits right handers very well (.297/.357/.456), rarely strikes out (more BB's than K's the last two seasons) and like Graffanino, profiles as the perfect number 2 hitter.

He also has no place to play in SD after the Giles signing and the trade for Kouzamoff, and just won nearly a $4 million arby award so the Padres may look to move him and make Walker happy.

Now I'm on record as preferring Braun over any platoon at third but if they go that route why not solve the OF overcrowding and get a better lefty option than Counsell in one move.

I'd love to add Walker. He's a fine hitter with good discipline. He's a better #2 hitting option than anyone we have as of today, aside from a hittin'-Hardy.

All these little rumors and speculations really are such a tease! There are so many ways in which the Brewers can clearly improve their team, while possibly helping another team to improve, that it drives me nuts!

I wish we could just swing a deal with Jenks and be done with all this mess. If he'd recognize that 450+ ABs is a ton of playing time, I'd love to keep him.

Otherwise, we've got a $7 mil. headache. There's not enough Tylenol in the world for that

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd love to add Walker. He's a fine hitter with good discipline. He's a better #2 hitting option than anyone we have as of today, aside from a hittin'-Hardy.

You forgot to mention that he has two frying pans for hands and can not playd defense a lick. I don't see him much of an improvement over what we have right now.

All these little rumors and speculations really are such a tease! There are so many ways in which the Brewers can clearly improve their team, while possibly helping another team to improve, that it drives me nuts!

This time of year there is a lot of things that could improve each team. But do you give up someone that may even better than the year before?

• 3 weeks later...
I would actually argue that he would fill the much-needed "Cirillo-role" we in Brewerfan.net-dom are so eager to find. And their system is decimated by trades...and more trades. We have to have a match somewhere.

Archived