Brewer Fanatic

Padres interest in Geoff Jenkins

I said it once before, and this is really something I believe. Jenkins knows that he's 32, and that this is his contract year. He knows that he could possibly get one more decent contract in his career. He has got to be preparing this off-season to have the best year of his career. I'm not saying that is going to happen, but I do feel that he will have a pretty good season. I would not get rid of Jenkins this year.

If it gets late in the year and he's not really performing, dump him at the deadline for a spare part. But until then, allow him to try to prove himself for what might be his last chance at a good contract to end his career.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe we totally undervalue jenkins and I'm not saying we are going to get a great return for him, but I believe we will not have to give him away. I'm hoping for a Linebrink for Jenks or a M. Gonz. for Jenks with us paying half. I think that is the key is us paying half. I do not believe Mr. Melvin will just give Jenkins away because he could really help the team instead of just trading him away for salary relief.

Quote:
I was a fan of Jenks but now when I watch the games and there is a guy on second with two outs and Jenks is up ( and in the hole 0-2, which is the normal ) I am talkn to jenks through the TV... Its ganna be inside....does he listn... NO. He goes ahead and swings anyways.,...

Foofty, i do the same thing. For a while, my girlfriend thought i was psychic.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Jenkins should not be an every day player but he kills righties. That much was evidenced by the way he really came on late in the season. That happened to coincide with Yost sitting him vs lefties. If we can get anything of value for him we trade him because Gross has shown to be the same type of player but is much cheaper and much younger.

That said we shoudn't give him away for nothing. He still has value in that he can still hit righties better than a lot of people. Look at his splits and that is obvious. He still K's too much but against righties his K rate is much better.

Is Jenks an everyday player? No absolutely not, but he is a career long righty masher so why just give him away for nothing? There are plenty of teams out there that could use Jenks in some capacity. To give up a reflief pitcher for some one who will post a .300 BA and a high .800 OPS in 350 AB's is not ian insane asking price. If it weren't for Gabe Gross being on our roster I would be fully behind keeping Geoff strictly as a platoon player, but he is there so let's get another arm in th pen.

^^^^^ above post ^^^^^

" Jenkins should not be an every day player but he kills righties. "

Thats "If" the righty dosent throw a slider http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

but I agree with you.

Jenkins his righties extremely well when he's hot and decently when he's cold

Jenkins his lefties decently when he's hot and extremely poorly when he's cold.

This has been true of him ever since I started watching him play 5 years ago. When he's seeing the ball well he lays off the sliders and takes a lot of balls to the opposite field against lefties. When he's not seeing the ball well he just K's constantly.

I think if he's managed properly he could have the best offensive season of any player on the team from a rate standpoint, just a question of whether Yost can use him properly and whether or not Jenkins ego will get in the way.

I'd still rather see us trade him and start Gross though. I still think 2007 is a growth year and 2008 is the first year we make a real run at the playoffs so Jenkins won't be around for it regardless.

Quote:
I think if he's managed properly he could have the best offensive season of any player on the team from a rate standpoint, just a question of whether Yost can use him properly and whether or not Jenkins ego will get in the way.

I agree 100% percent. I think Yost waited way too long to use him only in favorable matchups last year. I just would hate to see Yost "stick with his guy" while he "battles it out" and watch Jenks get hammered by lefties for the first half of the season. I hope Yost has the guts to look at Jenks as a platoon player and play him as such. That is if he is still on the team come April.

I still think 2007 is a growth year and 2008 is the first year we make a real run at the playoffs so Jenkins won't be around for it regardless.

I agree totally with your post, but I think next year we can grow and make a real run at the playoffs, with 2008 being our first year as real WS contendors.

Exactly, next year I think the Brewers can compete for a Wild Card but be considered one of the better teams in baseball. 2008 is the year the Brewers can/should be in contention for the Division title and be a quality club. That is why I think that Villenueve, and/or Gallardo should get at least a half season starting in the majors to try and break them in.

Mark A seems willing to pay Jenks Salary this season. Jenks is in a contract year.

The last time Jenks was in a contract year he was coming off a really bad year hitting .247 in only 67 games. He struck out 60 times vs just 59 hits.

The Next year, his contract was up and he responded by posting an amazing year, hitting .296 28 Homers, 95RBI, .913OPS and slugging .538

End of April 2001 Geoff Jenkins signed a 4 year 18 Million dollar contract (I believe - if anyone can confirm I would appreciate. I believe his agent was Dan Lozanzo)

So looking back at his stats for 2000, he posted the following #s.

.303 BA 34 HR 94 RBI .360OBP .948 OPS and slugging .588

Jenkins clearly might be a guy who is motivated by money - NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHIGN WRONG WITH THAT.

He is playing for what likely is going to be his last contract. I really want to keep him around this season. People say we have too much depth, but I guess since when is that a bad thing. Maybe we can move the depth for an upgrade in the rotation or bullpen at the All Star Break but not Jenks.

I dont want to look to move Jenkins anymore. Id rather look to move Brady Clark so that Gabe Gross can be the clear cut 4th OF. I really think our Bullpen will be OK. I am excited about Capellan. Who isnt excited about Cordero. I think Turnbow can bounce back, in fact I would be surprised if he doesnt. I remember how effective Matt Wise was. Brian Shouse is a super effective left hander out of the Pen. Dennis Sarfate is a young fireballer and has as much upside as any guy we could expect to pull in a trade for Jenks. Same for Aquino. I dont think this team needs much tinkering other than finding a way to make sure we get Gross enough at bats.

In 2007 there is a FAR better chance that Jenks is part of the solution than he is part of the problem. He did hit over .400 the last month of the season after his benching. I have waivered on this one but I am in stone now and definatly want to see Jenks a part of the team in 2007 PROVIDED that Mark is willing to pay his 7 Million.

What if we packaged Gross with CV the Younger, and ask for Linebrink? We could reap the benefits of Jenks' contract year and as mentioned earlier, we have ZachJack who can be our #6 if needed. I just would say that Gross's trade would ease a lot of the pressure on that outfield to lose depth. As of right now, Gross' trade value is higher than his value to the Brewers.

Why would we give up two young guys for a relief pitcher?? I think someone like Linebrink could go a long way in solidifying the pen but Gabe Gross and CV are two guys that are perfect for us. Young and chep relative to their production. There has got to be better options out tehre than that. If there is not tehn you simply hold onto Jenkins.

I just would rather have the proven commodity in Scott Linebrink. And while I am quite enamored with CV the lesser, we have other options and I am of the opinion that CV's presence could begin to block Yo's ascension as quickly as this coming year. Gross, to me, is a fourth outfielder but his stats this past year could convince others otherwise.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

386 ABs

24 doubles

15 HR

63 RBI

44 walks

86 K

.306 BA

.381 OBP

.490 SLG

.871 OPS

That's what Jenks did against righties in a down year. As several people pointed out, he hits them very well. The team needs good lefthanded hitters. The key is that you don't ever let Jenks see the light of day against lefties unless he's in middle of a hot streak or the team is desperate.

We have to get over the fact that Jenks makes $7 million. We can't change that. The team, however, can control the circumstances to make Geoff a valuable player. Give him the chance to succeed by putting him in the best situation - hitting strictly against righthanders.

Fans will whine because he's a platoon player and makes a lot of money. Jenks will whine because he wants to play everyday. Tough. He's not producing to deserve playing everyday as his.133 BA against lefties last year shows.

The team can then use Mench against lefties - whom he hits well. Last year:

119 ABs

8 doubles

5 HR

20 RBI

11 walks

5 K

.303 BA

.364 OBP

.513 SLG

.876 OPS

Those numbers are very similar to Jenks (except the Ks).

Combined they had 505 ABs, 20 HR, 83 RBI, .300+ BA and an OPS over .870. It would make an ideal platoon. Over the course of 650-700 ABs, that could easily be a 25 HR, 100 RBI guy. Yes, we'd pay the combined guys $10-11 million. But if they produce, that's not bad. And consider that Mench and Jenks had down years last season. If they can up their game (Mench has hit lefties to the tune of a .969 OPS over the past three year), then they can be even better.

Jenks will produce - against righties. Let him know that coming into the season, and he'll do fine. Don't let him worry about hitting lefties. No, he won't be thrilled playing 3/4 of the time, but he can still get 450 ABs. An, no, Mench won't like platooning either, but I'm more worried about the team winning than those guys being happy.

That's what I've been saying for a long time. Jenkins/Mench platoon. Trade Clark even if you have to pay some of his salary and even if you don't get a lot in return.

Outfield:

LF: Jenkins/Mench

CF: Hall

RF: Hart

Bench: Gross/Jenkins/Mench

Outfield problem solved.

AVG OBP SLG OPS HR/AB SALARY Player A .306 .381 .490 .871 25.7 $7.000 Player B .294 .400 .508 .908 20.8 $0.388

This is still the most compelling reason I've seen to trade Jenkins.

Granted, Gross is still a bit of an unknown as he had limited AB's last year, but his stats mirrored that of his extensive time spent in AAA. I feel his game final translated to the big league level and he can keep it up close to this pace.

Really, it would be hard for me to decide who I would trade as well because I think they all (Jenkins, Mench, and Gross) can have good seasons next year as a starter. I do think one has to go.

Archived