Brewer Fanatic

Padres interest in Geoff Jenkins

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, it's possible the Padres will acquire Geoff Jenkins to play left field.

The Brewers would eat some of the $7.5 million they still owe Jenkins in order to move him. Still, the Padres don't have a lot to give up in return. This is one trade possibility in which Scott Linebrink's name should not surface.

Source: FOXSports.com

www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2529

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the only mention of Jenkins in the original FOX story:

Quote:
For now, the Padres plan to go with Terrmel Sledge in left field while using Jose Cruz Jr., a switch-hitter, against certain left-handers. However, a trade for Brewers outfielder Geoff Jenkins remains possible.

Sounds kind of like speculation to me, rather than heating up disscussions.

I still think Jenkins will be the one to go. I think he will likely outhit Mench next year, but we can provide Mench more AB's in favorable matchups with Gross also on the roster. Jenkins would also save more money. Mench just seems like a better fit on the team next year.

Never understood why people wanted Clark to be the first OFer traded. Dropping him wouldn't solve our OF jam at all. I think he can be helpful off the bench anyway.

It seems like a good fit considering that the Padres always seem to be offering relievers in all of their trade proposals. Relief pitching is what we need the most right now.

Termel Sledge as the left fielder in San Diego? The Padres have got to be kidding.

I really hope we get something decent for Jenkins if we trade him. I don't want to trade him just to clear his salary. Be patient Melvin shop him around and let other teams bid for him.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If Jenkins is moved I would think it would be a salary dump type of thing, we won't get much for him. I hope I'm wrong.

But it would be great to get the guy out of town.

Hasn't Melvin commented their really pushing the upper end (or above) of where they wanted to be in terms of team salary for 2007??

Go Brew

Jenkins was our best hitter 2 years ago. 7 Million is really nothing to pay for 1 more year of solid production, and I am of the opinion he would give us solid production next year. Hang on to him, Doug, and dump Mench. Then give Brady AB's against most Lefties, or Gross if he somehow proves he can handle it.

Jenkins is too streaky plain and simple.

Obviously he has a lot of loyal fans which I will never fault. We all start to cheer for guys and then fail to see when they have reached the end thinking there is still another year or two in the tank.

But when he's only making 7 million a year and any trading partner is insisting we pick up part of the salary it should tell you something. He's very close to being done.

I would imagine if he does go to San Diego he will lose some playing time to Cruz eventually. Also if he doesn't go and San Diego decide to go with Sledge and Cruz it has to make you wonder if we'd be just better off DFA him and moving on.

The last thing we need is a disgruntled veteran outfielder in camp when it becomes obvious he is battling for the 6th outfielder position.

He's very close to being done

He's 32, not 38. He's streaky, we all know that. But as long as he accumulates numbers similar to 2005, he's a great asset to the team. It really doesn't matter when he does it, as long as he does it. I don't think Mench, Gross, or Clark will even come close to Jenkin's production this year, but I've been wrong before.

Jenkins is the best OF on the team against righties. I'd hate to see losing him for nothing as well. The simple fact is that keeping him doesn't make sense when we have a younger player with pretty similar numbers on the roster who is payed a lot less in Gabe Gross.

Sign me up in the "hate to give him away for nothing" camp.

However, I don't think any of us really knows what is going on with Jenkins and the Brewers. He was pretty unhappy with his demotion last year. And if you remember, the last game at Miller Park he got all teary eyed anticipating his leave.

Jenkins might actually want to leave. And if that was/is the case - I would rather get rid of him. I am a big fan of chemistry between the players - and I am not sure how Jenkins fits that profile anymore.

Besides, even if it is nothing but a salary dump...Given a choice of Suppan or Jenkins - who would you take?

" 7 Million is really nothing to pay for 1 more year of solid production, "

if you call wiffing at an inside slider at least 2 times a game production... sure...

I was a fan of Jenks but now when I watch the games and there is a guy on second with two outs and Jenks is up ( and in the hole 0-2, which is the normal ) I am talkn to jenks through the TV... Its ganna be inside....does he listn... NO. He goes ahead and swings anyways.,...

sorry his time is up, its time to thank him for his support for all the years, but if we are to build up he needs to be gone...

Foofty. That's a nice way to put it and about sums up my thoughts. It seemed like everytime last year that I was listening to a game and Jenkins came up to bat in a situation like you describe I just got up to go get a snack or something as in my head it was automatic out. Most of the time my head was right.

I really don't care if he's only 32. He's a bench player now and will be out of the league within 2 more years. I used to like the guy but Gross is a much better option at this point and Mench hasn't stunk up the joint long enough yet to run out of town.

Quote:
if you call wiffing at an inside slider at least 2 times a game production... sure...

7 million is actually quite a deal for that kind of production these days.

I could see Jenkins being traded to free up playing time for Gabe Gross but not because he's making too much money.

I feel inbetween most of it. I too am sick of watching Jenks be at the plate and be down 0-2 after the first two pitches and then strike out on the 3rd pitch on a inside slider in the dirt.

However, there is a part of me that remembers when I saw Jenks hit 5 homeruns in two days a couple of years ago. I enjoy watching his all-out, 120% style of play. I also havent forgot the year he made the all-star team and how special all of that was. I also remember what a class act he has been.

unfortunately, it is probably his time to go. I do think he will have a pretty productive 2007. He will probably hit .280 and get around 25-28 homeruns. He'll strike out 150 times as well.

I never have had real problems with Geoff Jenkins. He just has never been quite as good as fans hoped.

Jenkins fits this team. He's a good professional ballplayer. Hustles, knows how to run the bases, plays good defense, has some power.

So he's streaky. He's not alone in the history of this team in particular, or any team for that matter. Streaky is okay if you have a good hitting ballclub, which the Brewers should have. It doesn't work if you expect him to be the GUY, which I don't. Neither do they, for that matter.

With Hall and Hart penciled in, they can use a regular LH bat in the third spot. Seven million isn't that much money in the current salary climate.

If he's traded for value, I'm okay, to clear a croweded situation. As a salary dump, I don't think it helps this team to win.

Too bad nobody seems to remember that Jenkins was very clutch last year. Hitting a respectable .277/.376/.436 with RISP and .297/.462/.654 in close and late situations.

I'll say it right now. Jenkins is, at worst, the Brewers third best outfielder. If they just up and give him away, I'll have a problem with Melvin. Especially considering that in this market, he's not overpaid, he has defensive value, and he still has plenty of offensive value against righties.

Robert

Too bad nobody seems to remember that Jenkins was very clutch last year.

I remember, I just don't care. Varies from year to year with everybody.

And I don't think Melvin will just give him away. If he was going to, I think he'd be gone already.

Quote:
I'll say it right now. Jenkins is, at worst, the Brewers third best outfielder. If they just up and give him away, I'll have a problem with Melvin. Especially considering that in this market, he's not overpaid, he has defensive value, and he still has plenty of offensive value against righties.

I agree. During the season, I couldn't wait to get the guy out of town, but with the free agent market pretty much devoid of talent and many teams as of now not ready or willing to make trades, what else can you do to improve the team?

Part of me believes he might put up a monster season due to his anger because of his benching and his contract year. I would hate to miss out on that. However, if he fails early and often, wait to the injury bug nips some other teams in the early '07 and deal him to give Gabe Gross/Kevin Mench the spot as a decent platoon.

Some other people have mentioned that a nice fit here in Milwaukee could be Marcus Thames. He hit 26 HR's in only 110 games last year and hits righties and lefties OK but with some decent power. I thought I read that the Tigers were looking for a lefthanded bat (hmmm Jenkins??) and we could use a right handed thumper like Thames. He seems like an up and coming player.

What would it take to get him???

to those who wish we'd get something in return for jenkins.

actually we already did. His name is Suppan. Signing Suppan pushed our payroll about $7 million over what it was supposed to be for this year. I don't think anyone would have complained if we had traded Jenkins for Suppan. So by trading him for little in return now, we've essentually traded jenkins and his contract for Suppan.

We could have traded him for lieber. but we traded him for Suppan instead.

Melvin shouldn't and won't give up Jenkins for next to nothing nor should he half to pick up much if any salary. In today's market, $7 million for a player of his caliber isn't out of line.

Not sure what the Rotoworld comment about Linebrink means.

The Padres have several relievers that would look good in Brewer uniforms, Linebrink, Cassidy and Meredith to name 3 of them. I still believe this is a Brewer need. I really like Meredith, but it may take a little more than Jenkins and the Brewers could always toss in one of their relievers.

I like Jenkins too especially for the fact that he's been a Brewer his entire career. But he has just one year left on his deal and they have a guy in Gross that just might be able to match his numbers.

I too would like to get Cla Meridith from the Padres but I don't see Jenkins as being of equal value.

I would say a Jenkins, Zach Jackson, Hernan Irrebean for Cla Meridith offer would be realistic. The Padres give a quality arm that IIRC had a pretty darn good half season coming out of the pen, but in return recieve a starting OFer, a AAA arm with potential, and a potential replacement at 2nd base.

EDIT: I may or may not be overvalueing Meridith, but part of the problem is I don't think any of us are certain of Geoff Jenkins value is.

" Jenkins fits this team. He's a good professional ballplayer. Hustles, knows how to run the bases, plays good defense, has some power. "

Jenkins fits the team a few years ago when we had Branyon & Spivey... those three combined for a TON of k's....

this team now is young, ( young people do strike out, but that adjustment comes with experience ) incredibly talented, & full of potential.

Jenks young? no... talented? ( in the field more than at the bat being he is extreemly stubborn as we seen he wont change his batting stance or listn to hitting coaches ) ..talent is there but only for 1/4 of the season and who knows when its ganna show up....Potential? nope.. were past that curve...

ok, enough...

-----------------------------------------

If platooned for only 1 side of the plate, is he worth 7M? IMO no.

His tenure is up here, thank him and let him go on his way....

Archived