Brewer Fanatic

Are Brewers Active in Dominican Summer League in 2009?

Baseball America shows the Brewers and Orioles sharing a DSL team.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/teams/?tm_id=3245&y=2009

Brewer prospects from the roster are Rolando Pascual, Eilezer Montano, Joan Abreu, Juan Barrini, Jaime King, Edwin Linares, Jose Ramos, Francisco Rivero, Jose Sanchez, Andres Martinez, and Luis Chirinos.

This is the 1st I've heard of a re-establishment of a team in the DSL. Like you, I had only heard about the academy being reopened. 1st game was yesterday, a win over the DLS Cubs 2, 5-4. Luis Chirinos went 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored. Rolando Pascual with 1 inning, 1 ER and 1 K, Edwin Linares with the save. Here's the box score. They play again today against the DSL Marlins.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Anyone know anything about Jamie King? What he throws? I remember him being the 'big' international signing from last year. Or I am just crazy?

colbyjack wrote:

Here's a summary of the players the Brewers did sign:

Luis Chirinos - Venezuelan corner OF signed for $90,000. Turned 16 in late August.

Jaime King - 6'4", 210 pound 19-year old Dominican RHP. Touches low-90s with CB and CH.

Jose Ramos - another 19-year old Dominican RHP. Also touches the low-90s.

********************************************************************************

Not sure if King would be considered the "prize" of that crop, as we don't have his signing bonus number.

To put some things in perspective, signing bonus info is tough to come by. These had been reported in various Baseball America reports previously.

RHP Rolando Pascual, 2005 -- $710,000

OF Jose Garcia, 2007 -- $550,000

RHP Wily Peralta, 2005 -- $450,000

SS Yohannis Perez, 2006 (DR vis Cuba) -- $450,000

OF Hitaniel Arias, 2007 -- $450,000

RHP Roque Mercedes, 2004 -- $375,000

Peralta and Mercedes look like "hits", it's much too early to know on Garcia and Arias, Perez looks to be a "miss" despite his somewhat gaudy numbers in a part-time role this season, and Pascual could be a big miss. Hopefully having him pitch in his native Dominican with the DSL squad will kick-start him.

Just a question, Where will Arias and Garcia be playing this year, and will any of the 3 signings from last year be playing in Rookie ball or will they just stay in the DSL?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived