Brewer Fanatic

New Pixar Film 'Up'

Principessa21

My boyfriend and I just got back from seeing Up. The best word I can use to describe it is magical. Simply amazing. I keep waiting for Pixar to slip up (maybe that was Cars?) but they did it again. It might be their best one, and I LOVED Finding Nemo and WALL-E. It was smart, touching, funny and just made me giddy afterwards. I feel like a kid and I just want to share it with everyone (even the guy who checked me out at Trader Joes). I will admit I cried like a baby twice. It reminds me how much I hate when people will shy away from a film because it's annimated or billed as a kid's movie. And the animation was fantastic. At one point, it was as if I was watching a live-action film. Anyway, everyone go out and see it. If you don't like it, then you must not have a soul. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Anyone else see it?

Is it finally out? They've been promoting this for what, six months now?

I'm sure it's a great movie, but I hate when studios start promoting a movie months before it comes out. People don't pay attention to when the release date is. Maybe that's on purpose - they try to get people to go to the theater not knowing that a movie isn't out yet, and when they get there and realize that it isn't playing they might go, "Oh well, since we're here we might as well see this one..." But on the flip side I think it kills the hype for a movie because by the time it gets out people are sick of seeing the same clips in the trailers for the 1000th time.

Sorry, rant over. Back to discussion about how great this movie is.

For some reason this film won't be available in the UK until mid-October. I'll have to wait. Maybe this is part of their marketing ploy as well.

Or maybe they needed time to translate it.

I would never in a million years describe the movie overall as sad (not putting words in Ewizzabeff's mouth here). It's about adventure & finding happiness in life. It was incredible. Did I tear up/cry? You bet... but doesn't mean the movie is sad.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I saw UP this week and loved it. It's a real emotional rollercoaster from sheer sadness, the montage of the marriage of Carl and Ellie will break your heart, to breathtaking action and humor. You'll cry from sadness at the beginning and cry from happiness at the end.

That montage I mentioned above is one of Pixar's finest moments. And probably absolutely essential as it puts the audience on Carl's side so we can understand what he's going through, even when he's being mean and selfish. It's very deft in how it handles it's message, including Russell's home life, and Carl literally carrying his past with him. And the dogs are flat out funny.

Robert

Anyone else feel like Pixar is growing older along with them?

I was 8 years old when Toy Story was first released, and it seems like every movie since then has hit every single note with my ageing from then on. It's shocking how this movie studio has grown along with me to the point that every movie they have relased since then has struck a nerve at every step of my developement. I'm 22 years old now, and I expect nothing but perfection from Pixar with every movie they release. Hopefully this stays true, because it's been an amazing ride.

Yeah, Cars has been their 'miss'... kinda like having your worst prospect turn out to be Corey Hart or Manny Parra

It's shocking how this movie studio has grown along with me to the point that every movie they have relased since then has struck a nerve at every step of my developement.

That's awesome. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Haha, sorry -- didn't mean anything bad about Parra/Hart http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The 'dogs playing poker' joke really busted up the theater at the showing I attended. Honestly it may have been the placement/timing of the joke more than how just flat-out hilarious it was/wasn't, but that was darn funny.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I was 8 years old when Toy Story was first released, and it seems like every movie since then has hit every single note with my ageing from then on. It's shocking how this movie studio has grown along with me to the point that every movie they have relased since then has struck a nerve at every step of my developement. I'm 22 years old now, and I expect nothing but perfection from Pixar with every movie they release. Hopefully this stays true, because it's been an amazing ride.
I think that may be you developing more than the films themselves. You probably get something different out of it now that you're older than you did when you were little. They do a great job incorporating mature themes that adults can appreciate while still keeping it light hearted enough for kids.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Pixar has followed the same formula for every movie so far, so I wouldn't say they're doing much growing.

Not to say the formula doesn't work, or that they're not great at telling beautiful stories within it....just saying, they don't stray from it much.

Pixar has followed the same formula for every movie so far, so I wouldn't say they're doing much growing.

Cars is the kind of movie that deserves that kind of comment. Ratatouille? WALL-E was like nothing ever made before. UP was pretty out there as well. Overall, Pixar has been pretty darn bold in recent years.

I like Up very much but the plot kind of lost me midway through. Stop reading this if you haven't seen it already...

It seems like almost out of the blue, the old man was willing to risk his last dream for a bird he had shown no interest in before? It just seemed odd.

SPOILERS...

He wasn't willing to risk his last dream for the bird. He was willing to risk his dream to make the child he could never have happy. After that, the whole wife filling out the scrap book thing pushed him full bore for actually living in the present rather than living for a dream that is likely never to happen unless you tie 1,000 balloons together to your house.

And yes, rluzinski nailed my whole Pixar growing with me thing. They would never be able to actually make a movie like WALL-E, Rataouille, or Up without having first started with movies that were more geared towards making movies more for children before hand. I feel like these last few movies are really what they've wanted to make the whole time, the ones leading up to it were just stepping stones to get to this point. That is what is great about this movie studio. They finally have gotten to the point where they are making whatever they want to make, and I'm willing to bet that it just gets better from here on.

Archived