Brewer Fanatic

Who do you think is our main catcher next year?

What he has done with pitchers compared to our previous catcher is night and day

Is it really? They haven't really changed in any way over what they did the rest of their careers so how can you say this? There is probably a difference but it is so small you certainly can't notice it in the stat line anywhere.

Not who you want to be our catcher, but who do you think actually will be our main catcher?

I can't see Melvin relying solely on Rivera, Corporan, Salome, and LuCroy. I think he'll be looking at options outside the organization along with giving due consideration to bringing Kendall back.

I could see the choice ending up being Rivera as the main starter with Kendall or another veteran as the backup. Or I could see Rivera splitting time about equally with someone.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What I would really like to see is Kendall backing-up Salome, just so Salome can learn from the vet before going completely on his own. But for that to happen:

1) Salome would need to finish AAA strong on offense and defense

2) Kendall would have to be OK with signing a $1mill deal to play 2 of 5 days and mentor the rook.

I give it odds of ~10%

I think Angel Salome and Mike Rivera will handle catching duties next year. Salome has struggled out of the gate at AAA offensively, but judging by statistics he has improved defensively. He has started to heat up recently, and I think he is still on track to be our starting catcher next season.

Although I wouldn't be suprised at all to see Kendall brought back.

if Kendall comes back, i'd hope it's for ~$1mm with Rivera handling most of the catching duties. give Kendall a couple of starts a week, but that's it. I really hope Macha pairs up Rivera with another SP to get his bat into the lineup more often because Kendall is just a black hole up there.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Could we sign Kendall for $1MM as a coach and have him call pitches from the dugout?
Not sure about calling pitches from the dugout... but to have him back as a coach or mentor would be a good idea.

Archived