Brewer Fanatic

Need help with Wisconsin/Milwaukee beers

TheRealMattKain

I'm in the process of buying my first house out here in the California Bay Area. Assuming that everything works out, I would like to get a present for my agent. The idea that everyone seems to have is to just get her a nice, pricey bottle of wine. However, the other day during a random conversation she mentioned that her only vice is her love of beer. Being a Wisconsinite, I thought the perfect gift would be a variety of cases of beer from local Wisconsin and Milwaukee breweries. In my opinion, it would be a little more unique and have more of a personal touch than just running out and getting some California wine.

Here's the catch - I don't drink. Never have. So, despite being a Wisconsinite, I don't know the first thing about local beers. I know Wisconsin is overflowing with microbreweries so this shouldn't be too tough. Anyone have any thoughts? Here's what I'm wondering:

1. Do any of the local breweries ship beer nationally or provide some sort of online shop? I'm thinking of trying to buy several varieties by the case. Should I try to buy directly from a brewery or does anyone know of any sort of online distributor?

2. What would people recommend for good, local beer? The more unique and "Wisconsiny" the better. Brewerfan, I know you can help me here.

MK

Most of the local breweries do NOT ship nationally, as far as I know. If I were you, I'd do something like a get a sample pack of New Glarus, Central Waters, or Sprecher beer. New Glarus would definitely be my favorite. these are nice because they do a good job of hitting on a lot of the different styles.

If you have any questions about specific beers let me know and I will do my best.

By the way I think this is a great idea.

There are several varieties at Point Brewing and New Glarus Brewing to get the conversation started, but I don't think they do much distributing outside of the Midwest (and not sure what other options exist for shipping... but I think it's a good thought on your part worth pursuing)

EDIT: Ya, pretty much what datrain said http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Capital is also a pretty good microbrew, but I don't think they distribute nationally either. Leinenkugel's is a Wisconsin beer, and they have a pretty large operation going, selling in a lot of states (including Nevada...not sure about California). It's probably a step above the microbrew, but definitely not a Miller beer (though it's owned by Miller, technically).

I have found that contacting the breweries directly often yields quick answers (that sort of comes across as sarcastic...sorry...not trying to be). Smaller breweries are usually more helpful than the big ones. Just find their customer service number or e-mail address to see if there is any way to arrange you getting the brew of your choice.

How about Schlitz and Blatz. Don't forget Hamms. Not that I would recommend drinking any of those beers. It was pretty cool to bring them on spring break with us just to see what people would say.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Dude, if she's a beer fan, and in California, don't subject her to Wisconsin beer. Get her a great craft beer from California, like something from Stone Brewery, Green Flash or Bear Republic. If she's that into beer, you could really get on her good side by getting her anything from the Dogfish Head Brewery.

Dude, if she's a beer fan, and in California, don't subject her to Wisconsin beer. Get her a great craft beer from California, like something from Stone Brewery, Green Flash or Bear Republic. If she's that into beer, you could really get on her good side by getting her anything from the Dogfish Head Brewery.
I've mentioned this in the beer thread, but whenever I head from the Bay Area back to Chicago/Wisconsin, I bring a small bag full of NorCal beers out there for friends/family and then bring a bunch of New Glarus/Bell's/etc back to California with me when I'm headed back.

I think California has a higher quantity of great stuff, but as far as quality, Wisconsin's best is right up there with anything here.

P.S. I'd just take her for a day-long good-beer bender: Zeitgeist to Lucky 13 to Toronado!

(Yes, that's half-blue...!)

If she is really into beer, I think getting her something like New Glarus would be perfect given the fact they don't distribute outside Wisconsin. The best thing to do would be to find out what style she likes. Different styles of beer can have drastically different tastes.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

In my opinion, I would go with a Berghoff Summer Solstice, New Glarus Spotted Cow, and one beer that I love that isn't from WI is Hennipin. I'm pretty sure that is illegal to send beer though. Don't know is someone that you know could UPS it to ya.

Archived