Brewer Fanatic

Turnbow to Boston?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

This blurb from the Boston Globe, bold added by me:

Al Nipper, who is scouting pitchers for general manager Theo Epstein, has been spotted in Astros camp, and also in Brewers camp, where several teams are looking at erratic reliever Derrick Turnbow

Now who puts out the word on availability? Gotta be a reason...

I would assume teams might think Derrick is available because he's a closer and he won't be closing.

Or, maybe Doug has made some offers now that Derrick is not doing badly.

Seriously, the odds of Turnbow not suffering a serious mechanics malfunction in Boston, where every loss is the end of the world, is slim and none. I cannot imagine a player (other than maybe Ben H) less cut off for Beantown.

I agree, no way we can afford to trade away bullpen depth right now. And I know it's just spring training, but Turnbow's sparkling 0.00 ERA looks good right now. But that can be misleading, has anyone actually seen him pitch yet, and if so how'd he look?

from one side of the coin, turnbow has looked great this Spring and he's attracting attention from teams like the red Sox who are desparate for a closer. his trade value will never be any higher.

on the other side of the coin, he's looked great this Spring and we need him in our bullpen.

boston does have some prospects worth trading for.

if the brewers think braun is not ready to make the leap, mike Lowell may be available, although Boston doesn't have much depth at third or first.

pineiro has looked terrible this Spring. boston will want somebody who can pitch a 1-2-3 inning.

it's also possible boston might go back to papelbon as their closer.

after geting rocked in his first two games, pineiro has pitched scoreless ball in his last 5 games. Tavaras has also looked good. tavaras pitched 3 scoreless innings yesterday. Pineiro was said to be boston's first choice as closer in the off season, and it looks like he's going to take over and do well.

on a different front, florida and tampa bay are having problems wit h their closer. KIm is being mentioned as a possible trade to florida to be their closer. their projected closer - Tankersly hasn't thrown a pit h yet. .

it's nice that Turnbow is having a great Spring.

I don't see how we can afford to give up on Turnbow with the bullpen looking the way it has in ST. Lowell would give us the D we need, but he's a free swinger. I'd rather see the Branyan trade mentioned in the Padre thread.
Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I agree that Turnbow is too valuable at this point, given that he's performed well so far in spring training, and the rest of the bullpen really hasn't (other than Cordero).

If the Brewers trade him, they should get a lot for him. I wouldn't trade him for less than an upper level, MLB-ready infield-playing hitter at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

pienero had another solid day yesterday pitching a scoreless inning and getting the save. That's now 7+ innings in 7 games. Francona is said to like taveras as his closer. I have to believe the red Sox have found their closer and are no longer interested in acquiring turnbow. Although that could change by mid season if Piniero chokes.

as of 2 pm central thursday, the red Sox announced that their closer for this year will be papalbon. they didn't like what they saw of tavarez or piniero. This was announced on the Dan Patrick show. there's probably a link somewhere.

it was hinted/speculated this would be subject to change should the red Sox acquire an effective closer in the future.

but it was made clear that if no moves are made, papelbon is the man.

Turnbow's name wasn't mentioned .

Archived