Brewer Fanatic

Turnbow to Boston?

He wouldn't be a $20 million hit when you add up all the contracts we dump.

Yes, he would be. The Brewers would have to pick up his option years in 2009 and 2010, which are each $20 million. Jenkins comes off the books after this year. They would be getting Manny at 4 years, $78 million, for his age 35-38 seasons. They couldn't do that, it's a financial impossibility, especially when they're going to want to lock up Hall, Weeks, and possibly Fielder and Capuano during that time period. It would be a total burden.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

brettac, the proposal I have in mind is Hall, Jenkins, and Turnbow for Manny and cash.

So 4 years $78 million. We also know Attanasio dreams of a player of Manny's caliber.

Hall is off the books, so there goes roughly the equivalent of $25-30 million for those 4 years.

Jenkins is off the books, so there goes roughly $7 million.

Turnbow is gone, so that's another couple million. Assuming he'd be re-signed anyways, lets say that is $7 million. So that's $40-50 million off the books. Assuming the BoSox throw in maybe $3-5 million in 2007 and 2008, that deal becomes much more palatable.

If the Brewers felt that those players were that good, why would they trade them for him? Really, one of those guys had a terrible year last year (Turnbow), one wasn't better than average (Jenkins) and one is the Brewers best player.

I certainly wouldn't trade Hall. The Red Sox are trying to get a haul of prospects, I don't think they'd want Jenkins and Turnbow in a Manny deal.

And the Brewers wouldn't want Manny's contract, nor would Manny want the Brewers.

? The Red Sox talked to the Brewers regarding right-handed reliever Derrick Turnbow. Turnbow converted 24 of 32 save opportunities in 2006 and was 4-9 with a 6.87 ERA. Turnbow, who turns 29 in January, has two years remaining on the three-year contract he signed last winter, which will pay him $2.3 million in 2007 and $3.2 million in 2008.\

From Brewers.com Winter Meeting article. It also says that Manny has met with the Dodgers and wasnt happy and that he probably will stay put. Fingers crossed.

The only way Manny is coming to Milwaukee is if we find 2 million people to move here to make it a major media market. Oh, moving Milwaukee to either coast would help. Or to warmer weather.

Let's stop with the Manny talk already. It just gives other fan boards material with which to laugh at Brewers fans.

Why not CoCo?

Leadoff hitter that doesnt K as nearly as much as Weeks.

No need for platoon(switch hitter who hits well from both sides).

CFer with speed.

All needs. Or am i forgetting some mystery man who can do all that on this team. One injury riddeled season and forget about him?....same age as Hall as well.

Its from the Globe:

Quote:
Dec 5 - The Red Sox are focusing on getting a closer in return for Manny Ramirez, The Boston Globe reports.

In talks with the Dodgers, the Red Sox were asking for 22-year-old Jonathan Broxton. In talks with the Angels, they wanted closer Francisco Rodriguez or setup man Scot Shields. J.J. Putz and Rafael Soriano were discussed with the Mariners.

A rumored three-way deal involving the Nationals (Chad Cordero) and the Giants was tossed about, the newspaper reports.

• 2 weeks later...

Theo Epstein's on Boston radio right now indicating that the Red Sox will likely be announcing the acquisition of one, possibly two, bullpen arms, later today. Guys who are reasonably-priced (remember, reasonable for the Boston payroll) who under-performed for whatever reason last season.

He used the word "acquire", so I'm guessing it's via trade.

I'm just saying...

If anyone wants to listen live to hear updates, WEEI.com streams... I'm going to connect now.

They've been talking about potential closers lately. Turnbow always came up along with Gonzalez from Pittsburgh. Out of those two I would think Turnbow would be the one that underperformed, even though he was an allstar.

Reitsma was another one they talked about. And Hermanson.

When I saw the DeJean rumor, it got me thinking that we already had 6 bullpen arms so Dougie must be planning a trade. Since Turnbow has closer experience and with so many teams in need of bullpen arms, I can see him going. If Turnbow goes away and they bring in DeJean, who's the main setup guy for Cordero? I hope it's not Wise. Aquino? Yikes. I hope Capellan could grow into that role but that's a big gamble.

I agree, but it definitely wouldn't be straight up TBow for Crisp. Epstein's language 'under-performed' definitely gives me hope that Turnbow (rumored long to be a target for BoSux) is one of the guys he's mentioning.

For Crisp, I'd give up Mench or Jenkins (or both if, for some crazy reason BoSux wanted both) along with TBow. More? Perhaps, but not much more to land Crisp. I personally doubt Crisp is that 'available', since he's young & has a relatively cheap deal.

However, Wily Mo Pena & Eric Hinske (Menasha, WI what!) both played very well last year. Mench makes more sense, since BoSux have a lot of options that hit RHP well already, and JD Drew, Hinske, & Big Papi all are LH hitters. A 'lefty killer' like Mench seems to fit better, plus coupling him with Kevin Youkilis would definitely result in "Largest combined cranium size between two teammates" in history! Plus, they're both white, pale, and shaved heads!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived