Brewer Fanatic

Alcides Escobar

Just thought this'd be a guy we could use a thread on to follow. Many thought he'd regress to a sub .250 hitter at AAA. He's proving he "gets it" and seems to be more of a base stealing threat each year. I love JJ as much as all, but you need to trade someone good to get someone good. If JJ's spot in the order is going to be second anyway, we might as well long term plan on handing the SS duties and number two in the order spot to this guy imho. Thoughts on Escobar and his season thus far? Anyone seen him play any games in AAA yet?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He needs to learn to be more selective before he bats at the top of the order in MLB, he's a 7 or 8 hitter initially.

Escobar's Linked 2009 stats

I'd like him to walk 1 out of every 10 ABs, I'd like him to be in the 20ish range.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think he's a better option than Casey McGehee and Craig Counsell. I'd have him hit seventh or, if he could focus on getting on base, have him leadoff. He'd instantly be the best option to steal. Platoon Counsell and Hall at 3rd, and have Gamel be the first option off the bench.

Platoon Counsell and Hall at 3rd, and have Gamel be the first option off the bench.
No. If Gamel is going to be up in the Majors he needs to have some regular playing time. The Brewers can't be wasting Gamel by sitting him on the bench.

Platoon Counsell and Hall at 3rd, and have Gamel be the first option off the bench.
No. If Gamel is going to be up in the Majors he needs to have some regular playing time. The Brewers can't be wasting Gamel by sitting him on the bench.

I don't think so. If he's the best hitter in the organization without a set position, there's no reason he can't be the first PH and get spot starts. He's not going to help the Brewers by playing in Nashville. Another option would be to platoon Gamel with Hall, and have Counsell be the first PH. I'd be OK with that.

Escobar does a lot of exciting things well - defense, baserunning, bunting. However, getting on base is still not one of those things, nor is hitting for power - especially at an sufficient MLB level. What's the rush? Its unlikely he's a better option than a Counsell/McGehee/Hall combo at 2B (Gamel should be playing everyday at 3B) especially if you're expecting him to take on an important offensive role, and even if he is it would be a very marginal upgrade.

I don't think so. If he's the best hitter in the organization without a set position, there's no reason he can't be the first PH and get spot starts. He's not going to help the Brewers by playing in Nashville. Another option would be to platoon Gamel with Hall, and have Counsell be the first PH. I'd be OK with that.
He would help the Brewers by going to Nashville by getting better while playing everyday, and possibly extending his time in Milwaukee by a season.

And if he's capable to platoon, he's capable to play everyday given the fact he has hit lefties every bit as well as righties in the minors. Hall can get his ABs against LHP while playing 2B.

He's not going to be helping the Brewers at all if he's getting one at bat per game at most and some games not getting any. You don't waste your top prospect or his service time by putting him on the bench.

Agreed with sbrylski06 and triwi7. He needs to play everyday. Having him on the bench is going to mess with his swing IMO. Being a PH is difficult even for veterans let alone a young guy that is still getting adjusted to MLB pitching (see Nelson, Brad).

As far as Esocbar, I think he'll be a pretty good player, but you have to think about the lineup change with Hardy vs. Escobar. Given that the Brewers THIS year have Kendall, 2B, Hart, etc I think putting Escobar in for Hardy would hurt the offense. He has a lot of room to grow and gain more strength. Hardy IMO has the clear advantage right now in terms of power and offense. Now next year if Weeks is back, RF, and C have better talent Escobar might be a good fit. I honestly would give him all year in AAA. A decision will have to be made sooner or later though.

The Brewers move of Escobar to 2B is writing on the wall to me that it's only a matter of time before he is our everyday 2B in 2009. 2010 might be a different story, but I think the Brewers are getting ready to call him up if he maintains decent performance in AAA.

I'm not an expert with the rules of promoting a player from the minors, but do you think the Brewers are waiting until June to call up Escobar to delay the whole arbitration process for a year? I just have to wonder why they would give Escobar starts at 2nd base if they didn't intend on bringing him up at some point very soon (unless it's just for emergency purposes).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I just have to wonder why they would give Escobar starts at 2nd base if they didn't intend on bringing him up at some point very soon (unless it's just for emergency purposes).
DM has stated it is just in case another 2nd baseman gets hurt on the big league team.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not an expert with the rules of promoting a player from the minors, but do you think the Brewers are waiting until June to call up Escobar to delay the whole arbitration process for a year? I just have to wonder why they would give Escobar starts at 2nd base if they didn't intend on bringing him up at some point very soon (unless it's just for emergency purposes).

Emergency purposes. I think they are waiting to bring him up until JJ is gone through trade or free agency. I think we are ok right now at 2B. Escobar might be a marginal upgrade over what we have right now at 2B, but I doubt it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The guy to compare Escobar to is Jose Reyes. Escobar's spent more time in minor leagues, but Reyes numbers in minors (.285/.338/.423) are pretty comparable. Reyes didn't walk much at all at age 22 with the Mets (27 times in over 700 PA), nor did he have much power (7HR).

But despite just a .300 OBP in 2005, the Mets stuck with Reyes in the leadoff spot. Within a year he had more power, more patience, and was an All Star.

The Brewers have no ideal leadoff hitter now. Escobar isn't ideal either, but he's a very exciting player both offensively and defensively much like the young Reyes. Hitting ahead of Braun and Fielder, he will get pitches to hit and he's shown he will put his bat on the ball and we know he can run and can put pressure on opposing pitchers. He's been hot with the bat lately at AAA. I'd say he's very, very close. It will depend largely on McGehee's production over the next 3 weeks or so. If McGehee isn't producing, then let Alcides loose on the NL.

The thing to watch with Escobar is his splits. He's currently hitting .379/.406/.500 off LHP and just .244/.299/.331 against RHP. His overall numbers may go up if he runs into a spate of lefties, but real progress isn't being made unless his performance against righties improves. Last year, he was terrible initially against northpaws but eventually improved to post a respectable line against them (.314/.341/.419 vs. .381/.435/.497 against southpaws).

I think that Macha going with Gamel full time at 3B and moving Hall to 2B would probably put an end to Escobar's chances of seeing the majors this year unless there is another injury.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm not taking DM's comments at full price, homer. If you choose to do so, that's your decision.

In this case, Doug's comments about Escobar make too much sense. It's not like the time he said he "wasn't inclined" to trade Lyle Overbay.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Escobar's career splits are:

RH .280/.310/.358

LH .348/.391/.439

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Escobar isn't likely to provide an offensive upgrade over a Counsell/Casey semi-platoon, and I don't think his defense would be specatular enough at a new position to warrant a move up. I think it really does make sense that he is learning the position as insurance depth.

He's a shortstop. I don't like the move to 2b. I'd like to see him stay in AAA all year and half of next year. He had to repeat AA didn't he? And that went really well. I believe his body has to mature even more. It seems his body is behind his skill set. When they match up I think we'll have the doubles hitter we need so that he can contribute meaningfully on offense.

I'm not taking DM's comments at full price, homer. If you choose to do so, that's your decision. Part of a GM's job is to quiet the rumor mill to keep trade value intact and that statement does just that.

That kind of goes against your other post that he'd be up in the bigs to start at 2B soon. There's no reason for a GM to lie about that. If anything, that would improve his trade value. I personally think it's stupid for Escobar to be playing so much at 2B unless the Brewers are going to call hiim up. There's not a 'huge' difference between what the hurricane and what escobar offer with the bat right now. I think long-term Escobar will be a much better option and he's already a pretty good baserunner. As much as I don't like it, I'm beginning to wonder if in the future the Brewers will decide to trade/sign for a 2B or call up Escobar and start him there. The easy answer to me is to make Gamel the 3B and Hall the 2B and keep Escobar at SS in AAA for the rest of the year.

Counsell gets on base 35% of the time, more versus RHP. One look at Hall's production, especially versus RHP, makes him a near emergency only option at 2B. Escobar would probably hit nearly as well at 2B and be a stellar defender...Hall hasn't played 2B to speak of since '06, so his fielding would be average, maybe.

Hall is not even playing 3B good enough to justify playing everyday, no way he can play 2B to that level after 3 years away. Hall isn't even an option at 2B.

Archived