Brewer Fanatic

Coffey article on NY Times blog

Brewers Reliever Hits the Ground Running

By Jack Curry

Todd Coffey of the Milwaukee Brewers might have the coolest entrance of any middle reliever in baseball. While closers enter games to specific music, Coffey has created his own fashionable entrance by sprinting from the bullpen to the mound.

Coffey does not run casually. He hustles from the time his foot touches the warning track to the time he reaches the dirt on the mound. He is 6 foot 4 and weighs 241 pounds, so he resembles a fullback who stumbled upon a baseball field instead of a football field.

The scoreboard operators at Miller Park have added a wrinkle to Coffey's run by timing it. Even though the Brewers were trailing by six runs when Coffey was summoned to face the St. Louis Cardinals on Tuesday night, the fans roared as if Trevor Hoffman were coming in for a save. Coffey completed his run in 13.53 seconds.

"That's my fastest time at this park," Coffey said.

Coffey first sprinted in from the bullpen when he was with the Cincinnati Reds' Class AA Chattanooga affiliate in 2004. Chattanooga had scored seven runs in the top of the eighth inning to snatch the lead. Coffey was so excited about the rally that he bolted out of the bullpen.

"I liked the way it felt," he said. "I liked the spike of adrenaline. My legs felt good. I just decided to keep doing it."

There was one time where Coffey's enthusiasm created an awkward situation. He ran in from the bullpen at Wrigley Field, which is in foul territory down the right-field line and is closer than bullpens that are behind the outfield fence. Coffey got there so fast that the starting pitcher had not yet left the mound.

Since the incident at Wrigley last season, Coffey has tried to time his entrance better. Still, when he entered the game as part of a double-switch involving the catcher on Wednesday, he arrived on the mound before the new catcher was behind the plate and had to wait to warm up. But that blip will not slow Coffey down.

"I'm always going to do it, as long as I have legs," Coffey said.

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/brewers-reliever-hits-the-ground-running/

The "incident at Wrigley" cracked me up. I wish I could have seen the look on the pitcher's face. Anyone know who it was and how it went down?
Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I'm not enough of a pro wrestling fan... why is the Ultimate Warrior theme such a good fit for Todd?

EDIT: Oh... I get it. It must be the physique

http://www.wiskate.com/news/data/upimages/UltimateWarrior.jpg

http://blog.silive.com/sportsstories/2009/04/medium_todd-coffey.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived