Brewer Fanatic

Fox's Rosenthal mentions Mench as a possible fit for LAD

If the Dodgers do ask for Mench, I would ask for Kuo Hong-Chih, a cheap lefty who pitches in the mid 90s to 97mph with decent offspeed stuff. Overall, I think he has a good arm and good stuff, but has been inconsistent with his control and in keeping his pitches down.

This spring, Kuo seem to have fell out of favor with the Dodgers and could be demoted to the minors. I'd take a (Mench) chance on him, and let Maddux work with him. He might turn out to be the power lefty Melvin is looking to trade for. But if Kuo continues to struggle, he does have options remaining to work on his control.

Latest rumore I saw was from the Denver Post that Mench could be headed to Philly for Lieber. Also New Stark Ledger had interest in Mench from the Pirates and Dodgers with the Brewers looking at prospects.

If the Dodgers do ask for Mench, I would ask for Kuo Hong-Chih

I'm not sure the Dodgers give up that good of an arm for him.

I have to agree with Hauser. There must be something in the water in LA because, despite the economic windfall of being associated with the fair and prosperopus city, both teams who hail from said dwelling refuse to part with any semblance of talent for proven commodities. That said, I would love to imagine a package where we could acquire Jon Broxton, but it would seem that he is the heir to Takashi's throne.

I think it's important to remember that it's simply Rosenthal's job to speculate in this manner. Is there any validity to this notion - which it seems Rosenthal created by, let's call it an "educated guess"?

I'd guess, educatedly, no, there isn't. Just as there hasn't been any validity to 99% of what he and other sportswriters speculate. That's just their job -- they need a story. Nothing wrong with that, but I think baseball fans tend to take that as, "Oh! They must have talked to a GM!"

See: Manny Ramirez rumors, earlier 'Mench for Liber' rumors, etc.

Esp. the Manny stuff. I, among many, was convinced that trade was simply 'going to happen'. We treat these reporters, and especially ESPN (or FOX), as though they are infallible sources.

Where, exactly, would Lieber or any LAD trade candidate go? If it's a RP (esp. LHRP), sure, I'm all for it. But if we trade for a starter, that leaves no real room for Vargas. And unless he's sent packing, that makes no sense. And if he is, we'd sure as heck better get more back than just Lieber (although I'd prefer him to Vargas) or some other middle-of-the-pack SP -- which is essentially what Vargas is, and we've already got him, and at a much cheaper price (than Lieber)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What about the gent who was too good to be included in any deal for Sexson? A certain character named Gregory Miller? I know we have a bit of depth at AAA but I would imagine he's better than Zach Jack, at least in terms of his ceiling and he is just now getting back his luster. I was a fan of his from the Sexson trade rumors and while Hanrahan flamed out, and Edwin couldn't cut it outside of Vero Beach, Miller never really had any true problems outside of the injury bug. Furthermore, the Dodgy Fellows have the top lefty prospect in baseball, a certain Scotty E., and many other young pitching options, though the same could be said about our hallowed team.

What about the gent who was too good to be included in any deal for Sexson? A certain character named Gregory Miller?

Miller's injuries have lead to shoulder surgury, and reduced him to a reliever. He has dropped his arm slot to avoid further stress on his shoulder, and he's lost velocity. As far as relievers go, I'd rather get the guy Tigerbrew mentioned, Kuo. He really has an outstanding arm, and has shown flashes at the big league level.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived