Brewer Fanatic

Jason Kendall thread

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since there is no IGT started, I figured I'd put it here... Kendall is batting leadoff tonight.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/48270197.html

*sigh* ... maybe the ghosts of Jason Kendall past will make a few appearances in the next few weeks...

Also, it is giving up an out... but for the comic relief part of the equation I would love to see Kendall try to bunt his way on to lead off tonight's game...

*sigh* ... maybe the ghosts of Jason Kendall past will make a few appearances in the next few weeks...

Also, it is giving up an out... but for the comic relief part of the equation I would love to see Kendall try to bunt his way on to lead off tonight's game...

Wait, I thought he always tried to bunt. Why else are the outfielders standing on the edge of the infield?

I was going to list which players would be better leading off against LHP, but I think it would be shorter to lost players who would be worse leadoff hitters against LHP.

Pither

Counsell

Gerut

Catalanato

Kendall has very little platoon split. Most of our other right handed hitters have a fairly large platoon split which makes Kendall leading off even worse.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Not sure if this fits in this thread or not, but I read this interesting tidbit from Brandon Funston of Yahoo Sports:

Prospecting

Angel Salome, Mil, C - The team's No. 5 prospect according to Baseball America, Salome entered the '09 season with a .322 batting average in 357 career minor league games, including a .360 mark in 98 contests at Double-A Huntsville last season. He's been in Triple-A Nashville this season, where he's hitting .272 in 51 games. But he's caught fire of late, hitting .371 with seven doubles, a triple and a home run in his nine games. The Brewers could use some offensive punch from the backstop position - they rank 26th in OPS from the catcher position (.608). Of course, Jason Kendall, I'm talking about you. Salome has modest power, but nothing like what you get from Kendall, who is once again pulling that trick of producing a SLG% that is actually lower than his OBP (.269 to .323). Only seven of his 44 hits have gone for extra bases. And his defense, no matter how you want to slice it (CS%, FPCT, Errors) has been decidedly subpar. Say what you want about Kendall's intangibles, but the 23-year-old Salome deserves a shot if he continues to show near-term progress at Nashville.

He makes some interesting points. I'm not sure that Salome would be able to out-produce Rivera at this point. Would Salome be a better alternative to Kendall?
Follow me on Twitter

Yes Salome would be a better alternative than Kendall. I am sick and tired of hearing about how well Kendall handles a staff and how good he is defensively. If he is handling the staff so well why are we giving up 8 runs a game the last few weeks? Ive seen enough of him defensively to know that he is nothing special. Melvin needs to make sure he doesnt bring Kendall back next season unless he accepts a backup role for minimal dollars.

Well, the issue with Salome is that if his defense is subpar at AAA, how is he going to handle being behind the plate in the majors? People were screaming for Rivera to get more starts, but when people started to see that, yes, defense does matter, that talk got quiet pretty quick.

This team does need to start making some moves, one way or another, though. I'm tired of how Melvin seems to just be sitting on his hands with so many guys under performing, and seeing how moves desperately need to be made.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Well, the issue with Salome is that if his defense is subpar at AAA, how is he going to handle being behind the plate in the majors?

I believe you are reading that article wrong, I think he is saying that Kendall's defense has been subpar.

Lucroy's bat has warmed up as well. He might not be the offensive threat Salome is, but he's got more walks (37) than strikeouts (35). The good news on Salome is that he's throwing out runners at a decent clip (38%).

I think it's a safe bet that one or the other of those guys is going to make more than a token year end appearance before it's all over this season. They absolutely cannot bring Kendall back as anything other than a backup for 2010 and they need to know whether they have to find someone else.

Well, the issue with Salome is that if his defense is subpar at AAA, how is he going to handle being behind the plate in the majors?

I believe you are reading that article wrong, I think he is saying that Kendall's defense has been subpar.

Yeah, you're right. I guess all the more reason to give Salome a try sooner than later.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This team does need to start making some moves, one way or another, though. I'm tired of how Melvin seems to just be sitting on his hands with so many guys under performing, and seeing how moves desperately need to be made.
If this turns into a 10 game losing streak I agree. But in fairness to Melvin this is a team that was in 1st place every day but one from May 13th to June 19th. Through the first two months of the season they led MLB in % of quality starts, the bullpen was nothing short of spectacular, the defense vastly improved, and the offense plenty good despite some glaring weaknesses.

So their last 20 games they are 7-13, nothing short of ugly, but also the sort of funk every team is capable of during a long season. A GM can't panic due to a 15-20 game slide. He has made some moves; bringing up Gamel, sending down Parra, adding Gerut and Cat to the bench.. They are still in 2nd, 2 games out of 1st. The starting pitching has been bad, but the team is not in a free fall. 6 of the 13 losses have been by 1 run. Another loss by just 2. The offense is averaging 4.85 runs over those 20 games. The bullpen has been OK. Last night notwithstanding, the defense remains solid.

As a GM you have to figure the rotation wasn't as good as it looked the first two months and it's not as bad as it looks right now. Certainly Doug should be putting out feelers and considering options, but I don't think it he's wrong to let this month play out a bit and see if this slide will correct itself.

the defense vastly improved

The defense was vastly improved last year. They may be slightly better this year but what you said underestimates last year's defense.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived