Brewer Fanatic

Jason Kendall thread

I know a lot of people hate the player I am about to suggest the Brewers should trade for as an everyday starter at catcher but it has to be said A.J. Pierzynski there I said it please don't kill me now. A.J. is a good catcher and he is a lefty bat and I'm not certain if he is or would be available in a trade the White Sox have Pierzynski through 2010 and his contract is not that expensive when you consider the Brewers are more than likely going to have to get a catcher in free agency next year if they don't resign Kendall.

Yes I know A.J. is not a likeable player really everyone in the league probably hates the guy. I don't really want to make this into a trade rumor thread so I'll leave it at that I believe Pierzynski could be had and he is probably the best offensive catcher available in the trade market only other player I could think of is Bengie Molina who might be available also.

Kendall does need to play a lot less IMHO and it was encouraging to see Macha pinch hit for Kendall today though. I wonder if Salome wasn't having injury related problems this year he would have been called up already. I believe Rivera is going to get more opportunities if Kendall doesn't start hitting more or getting on base more.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chicago is only 4.5 games out, and Castro reportedly doesn't want to be the everyday catcher. I don't think we should expect to see AJ available soon.
The White Sox are hard to figure out along with the other AL Central clubs are they going to be sellers or are they going to be buyers or are they just going to do nothing? It is really hard to judge the clubs in the AL Central right now since all of the teams are somewhat in the race for the division. Still I would like to see if the Brewers could get A.J. even with the baggage he brings. A.J. would be a nice #5 or #6 guy in our lineup the same could be said about B. Molina though.

Molina is a free agent and is a guy we should target as a free agent. I think we can get him on a one year 5 mil deal with an option year attached. I advocated getting him a few years ago when he was a free agent and although he is old he is a good stop gap until Salome or Lucroy show they are ready to be the evryday catcher.

We could have even traded for Ramon castro who would be an upgrade over kendall. I dont exactly expect the team to get Mauer or Victor Martinez but it really shouldnt be that dificult to upgrade on an average defensive catcher with a below 600 OPS. If we had a lineup like the Phillies I could live with Kendall but the fact is we have several holes in our lineup and cant afford to keep playing Kendall if we want to contend. Seriously is there a worse everyday offensive player than Kendall in the major leagues today?

Who would that be?

Right now Mike Rivera is a better option at the plate, and he's in-house. I really don't think it would be hard to upgrade over Kendall, but the team & Melvin are just in love with the guy.

His defense no longer is able to cancel out his weak offense. Sure, he's better back there than Rivera, but right now... Rivera O+D > Kendall O+D

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Seriously is there a worse everyday offensive player than Kendall in the major leagues today?

He's got competition with Hall and Hardy right now.

dont exactly expect the team to get Mauer or Victor Martinez but it really shouldnt be that dificult to upgrade on an average defensive catcher with a below 600 OPS.

Then it should be easy to answer the question of who Melvin should have targeted.

Kendall's option had already been triggered. He was coming back regardless. There wasn't enough expected return to spend more money at C.

I think part of the problem with Kendall is that when other key guys in the lineup are not hitting, his weak bat is magnified.
I don't get how that's the problem. The problem is his weak bat, not the fact that people are willing to notice the fact that his bat is useless.

At what point do you let Bush get caught by Kendall? It sure doesn't seem fair to have games like today where Kendall may have gotten 1 or 2 more outs than Rivera did. Not to mention the whole "calling of the game" that Kendall supposedly does better (not sure I buy into this reasoning all too much).

I think Kendall's year so far has looked worse than last year because he started out slow. He doesn't have much power so he is going to look bad when his hits don't get through the infield. I still think putting in Rivera for Kendall is trading OBP for SLG. I don't think either separate themselves with their defense.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

At what point do you let Bush get caught by Kendall? It sure doesn't seem fair to have games like today where Kendall may have gotten 1 or 2 more outs than Rivera did. Not to mention the whole "calling of the game" that Kendall supposedly does better (not sure I buy into this reasoning all too much).
What's Parra's excuse? Or Suppan in April? They both had the legendary Kendall catching them. It's just one of those things, nothing to worry about, imo. Bush has been pitching poorly lately. Unless he's hurt, I expect he will start pitching better at some point.

What's Parra's excuse? Or Suppan in April? They both had the legendary Kendall catching them. It's just one of those things, nothing to worry about, imo. Bush has been pitching poorly lately. Unless he's hurt, I expect he will start pitching better at some point.
I'm not, by any means, placing any blame on Rivera for Bush's pitching as of late. Rivera doesn't call for hanging curveballs and cutters over the middle of the plate. I'm just saying, that it sure doesn't help his cause when you've got a below-average fielding catcher behind the plate, compared to an above-average fielder in Kendall.

JoeHova wrote:

I think the problem might be if Macha thinks there is a difference.

I blame Wang.

I don't think there is a doubt Kendall is a better catcher than Rivera (although Rivera should not be blamed for Bush's inability to control any pitches last night). There also is no doubt Rivera has more power than Kendall, but Kendall has a much better eye at the plate. Rivera is a little bit of a plus at offense but Kendall is a big plus on defense. So to me Kendall should not lose time right now, especially when he is get some bloops to drop.

I'd leave it exactly how it is...Rivera catching Bush and that's about it. I do think Rivera should get some pinch hit appearances late in games when Kendall is struggling at the plate. At least Macha has been willing to do that...I swear I think Rivera must have hit on Yost's wife or something, since it seemed like he was permanently collecting cobwebs on the Brewers bench last season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I swear I think Rivera must have hit on Yost's wife or something, since it seemed like he was permanently collecting cobwebs on the Brewers bench last season.

Every manager Kendall has ever had plays him a ton, except in 2007.

I blame Wang.

I think the 'personal catcher' role for Mike was Macha's way of making sure he could cut into Kendall's playing time a bit without having to tell Jason that he wouldn't be starting certain games. Kendall must be an insane ironman, or a crybaby pouter (maybe a bit of both) http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Rivera doesn't call for hanging curveballs and cutters over the middle of the plate.

I demand stats & proof to back this statement up! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The situation is what it is. Kendall's defense is extremely overrated but Rivera is below average defensively. Rivera at least has a chance with the bat while Kendall is an awful offensive player. I really hope that Salome can claim the job next year but if not I would love to sign Benji Molina. At any rate we need to improve at this position because it is just not acceptable to be content with an OPS below 600 starting everyday especially when the defense is far from exceptional.

There also is no doubt Rivera has more power than Kendall, but Kendall has a much better eye at the plate.
Maybe over his career, but at this point Kendall has to be the worst hitting starter in the entire league. He has ZERO ability to drive the ball anywhere, all of his hits are luck that either get through the 3rd-SS hole or fall behind the 2nd baseman. Remember, Kendall has 5 IBB which is infinity percent higher than the worst hitter in the league should have but he does bat in front of the pitcher (which always causes me to laugh whenever another team pitches around Kendall when he is just as bad as the pitcher half the time).

So if you take those away his stats are: .227/.282/.273 over 207 PA!!!

Rivera this year is: .262/.319/.333 in 47 PA.

Kendall does NOTHING offensively better than Rivera, although his defense seems better enough to justify more playing time, but I think Rivera should be catching 2 out of the 5 starters at least.

Archived