Brewer Fanatic

Jason Kendall thread

Now that we have a Corey Hart thread I thought it might be appropriate to have a thread on the biggest albatross in this lineup, Jason Kendall. How much longer will we continue to play him 4 out of every 5 games. He is essentially an automatic out who rarely hits a ball out of the infield and his defense has not exactly been good enough to overlook his offensive ineptitude. Between Kendall, Hart, 2nd base, and Hall if he continues to play nearly every day our lineup does not exactly look strong. Mike Rivera seems to hit the ball hard every game he plays and needs to play much more unless Kendall suddenly learns to hit which is doubtful at this point.

Can this team stay in contention with Kendall playing every day when we have already lost one of our best offensive players in Rickie Weeks? I for one am not sure that we can.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You knew Kendall wouldn't do anything for the offense going into the season. I guess I thought he'd hit at least .245, but I expected next to nothing out of his bat. He also plays way too much. It's great that he's a "gamer," but I don't really care. They would be getting much better production out of BOTH catchers if Rivera started 1/3 of the games.

Kendall might be the worst hitter in the lineup but it's being magnified by others who are far more talented and need to give a lot more than they have; Hardy, Hart and Hall are atrocious, if he keeps playing this often Counsell will be hitting .230 in a month, losing Weeks was a major blow. Even Fielder isn't really that terrifying, but at least he's producing runs.

He isn't throwing guys out this season which is where pretty much all of his value came from last year, at this point I'd like to see Rivera in there for Bush and for one other guy.

You knew Kendall wouldn't do anything for the offense going into the season. I guess I thought he'd hit at least .245, but I expected next to nothing out of his bat. He also plays way too much. It's great that he's a "gamer," but I don't really care. They would be getting much better production out of BOTH catchers if Rivera started 1/3 of the games.

Kendall might be the worst hitter in the lineup but it's being magnified by others who are far more talented and need to give a lot more than they have; Hardy, Hart and Hall are atrocious, if he keeps playing this often Counsell will be hitting .230 in a month, losing Weeks was a major blow. Even Fielder isn't really that terrifying, but at least he's producing runs.

Kendall can't be absovled by pointing to other guys. He's not carrying his load. It's that simple. If he were gunning down 75% of base stealers, it wouldn't justify having a guy "slugging" .263 in your everyday lineup. His problem is he's got no power, none. I was at the game Monday. He hit a ball as hard and as far as he could. It was caught on the track. Outfielders play little league depth against Kendall and that eliminates bloop hits from his arsenal. They need to get Rivera in there a lot more. If Rivera played more, he's probably no better than a .250-.260 hitter but he can drive the ball. Kendall can't.

Supposedly he's a "great game caller", but I haven't seen Bush do that badly when Rivera is pitching. I think Rivera should get one more start per week right now. Kendall just is not showing enough offensively or defensively at this point to justify being used so much.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Supposedly he's a "great game caller",

Funny thing is, I was listening to an interview with Kendall last year, and he said that the notion of "game calling" is very over stated -- before each game the catchers/pitchers/coaches all go over how they are going to approach each hitter, sort of like a QB calling scripted plays in an FB offense.

I am sure that Kendall has some sort of advantage over Rivera, as he has caught well over 1500 more games than Rivera.

He is pretty bad at baseball at this point -- I think the thing that keeps him in the lineup is that Rivera is not a stud either.

Rivera isn't a stud, but he's less bad at this point. He's a heady guy, follows the game plan and gives us some slugging at times. At this point I'd actually be for a 50/50 split. And at the risk of repeating myself, I'd be all about straight platoons at 2B,3B,RF and a significant non-traditional platoon at C.

I'd be all about straight platoons at 2B,3B,RF and a significant non-traditional platoon at C.
I agree completely. The issue I see with it is who bats lead off in the RH line up. It would almost have to be Hart.

With the way Hart is hitting right now, there's no way he should be hitting higher than 6th in the batting order. I'd almost be tempted to do something radical like bat Braun lead off, rather than stick Corey in that situation. It's been tried before and hasn't really worked.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Going forward, I think Kendall is a .330 OBP / .320 SLG kinda guy and Rivera is .300 / .430. I also think Kendall's supposed pitch calling skills has no real value and his arm is nothing special. I have no problem with Rivera getting more starts but I don't think he's much of an improvement. Neither are very good.

Rivera should be catching Parra. He caught him in the minors and should be catching him now. Kendall is essentially an automatic out at this point. I dont have any more confidence in him than I do the pitchers spot in the lineup.

As far as who should be the catcher next season I vote for Benji Molina. He is a free agent and we may be able to get him for approximately 2 years 10 mil or so. That would be an excellent signing as Molina is good both offensively and defensively. No lineup can afford to have a guy like Kendall playing everyday.

Neither are very good.

That is correct, and that should come as a surprise to none. With a healthy Rickie Weeks and a Corey Hart that doesn't stink, its not really an issue. But, obviously here we are. Catcher is gonna be a weak spot. the key is gonna be to address 2B and RF.

What really amazes me is that Kendall is the only guy on the roster whom the last 2 managers has made a commitment to play X number of games in advance with seemingly no regard to his offensive production. Braun and Fielder don't have that assurance (at least not overtly) let alone the Halls and Harts. It just makes no sense to me. Other guys have to be accountable. Why not Kendall?

Rivera isn't a stud, but he's less bad at this point.

I am not convinced that this is a certainty -- much like Gerut, Cat., etc... I am all for reducing ABs for Kendall & Hart, I am just not sold that the replacements are going to be any better, or at least significantly so.

There certainly is no good reason for Kendall to catch 150+ games -- I think we can all agree on that.

If you want to start talking about 2010 catchers, it better not be Jason Kendall. That would be a waste of run production and money. I like the guy as he put up some great numbers earlier in his career, but he better not be on our team after this year because he doesn't give us the best chance to win. I'd be willing to give up the defense and start Salome because he has shown that his bat plays. If we could get Mauer type production (his upside) from the catcher position with average to below average defense, that would yield a lot better than whatever Jason Kendall brings to the table. And yes, I know Salome is struggling this year at the plate, but I'll trust his full body of minor league work over 1.5 months.

Braun and Fielder don't have that assurance (at least not overtly)
Of course they do. There is no reason for Macha to say something that everyone already knows.
True enough, but you don't think if Braun or Fielder were mired in horrible slumps, Macha wouldn't give them a day off? When was the last time Macha or Yost gave Kendall a day off because he wasn't hitting? All of Kendall's off days are orchestrated well ahead of time regardless of his performance.

I'm fine with having Kendall in the line-up every day when the rest of the bats are on fire. That's obviously not the case now. We don't know how Rivera would do playing every day, but I agree he shoud be starting at least 1/3 of the games now that Weeks is out, Hart and Hall are struggling, etc.

I've always thought the whole "handling of the pitching staff" is overrated. Major League pitchers prepare for a game and know how they want to pitch guys. And I don't see any fall-off when Rivera is "handlling" Bush or the relievers.

If we could get Mauer type production (his upside) from the catcher position with average to below average defense, that would yield a lot better than whatever Jason Kendall brings to the table. And yes, I know Salome is struggling this year at the plate, but I'll trust his full body of minor league work over 1.5 months.

Unless his name is Matt Wieters, there isn't anyone that realistically is in Mauer's league.

Archived