Brewer Fanatic

The Corey Hart thread

RU Rah Rah

Macha is handling Gamel like many other managers handle young prospects. The same way LaPorta was handled, the same way Fowler has been. I haven't had a problem with it so far as long as Gamel starts half time or more it is fine.

The situation with LaPorta is different though. To use the over used saying, 'he is what he is'. He barely can play the OF and looks to be at 1B or DH. That isn't going to change by playing everyday. Gamel is still developing his defense. You could say that's maybe the reason why he's not playing everyday...if that's the case he should be in AAA so that he can start everyday and improve. I have never been as disappointed with the Brewers and their handling of minor league prospects as I am with Gamel (at least for position players). If getting his feet wet means he never knows when he's going to play and there's not always reasoning behind it, he sure is getting his feet wet.

Back to Hart, what is he worth right now in terms of a contract?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never been as disappointed with the Brewers and their handling of minor league prospects as I am with Gamel (at least for position players).

He doesn't even make my top 3 mishandling of players currently on the roster. Fielder sat at the major league level barely playing for half of his first year, he came up in June and got all of 62 PA spread over 39 games played. Hardy should have never started in the majors his rookie year and they left him there struggling forever before he finally got things going. Weeks should have been benched as soon as they knew his thumb was messed up because trying to compensate for an injury probably ruined his swing the next season. Gamel has started 7 of the last 9 games including todays start, that is hardly anything to be worried about.

He doesn't even make my top 3 mishandling of players currently on the roster. Fielder sat at the major league level barely playing for half of his first year, he came up in June and got all of 62 PA spread over 39 games played. Hardy should have never started in the majors his rookie year and they left him there struggling forever before he finally got things going. Weeks should have been benched as soon as they knew his thumb was messed up because trying to compensate for an injury probably ruined his swing the next season. Gamel has started 7 of the last 9 games including todays start, that is hardly anything to be worried about.

I don't know if those compare though. Prince wasn't going to get a ton better on defense. JJ played his entire rookie year and had the defense. I don't know if he should've been up, but it'd be somewhat the same if Escobar was called up and started in the bigs this year. I don't know if it's 100% the right move, but the defense was ready and the bat would come. Weeks is injury related. Gamel to me is strictly developmental as to why I think it's been handled so poorly. It seemed he was starting to click on defense in AAA and now doesn't know what day he will start. He's not going to improve on defense if he's not playing. I also think it's different because Prince, JJ, and Rickie all were going to start at their positions and be handed the everyday job. We still don't know how it will all pan out for Gamel and to me it's the single most important part of the future of the Brewers. If he doesn't stick at 3B, where does he go? Do the Brewers trade Hart or Fielder sooner than they would have? Do they trade Gamel? I think Gamel's future will indirectly impact the future of at least one other player and their future with the team. The picture isn't clearer when he's more or less being a role player. Give him the everyday job or send him to AAA. Again, I think Gamel will stick at 3B, but I can't say that 100% when the team isn't really giving him a place to show that everyday.

If getting his feet wet means he never knows when he's going to play and there's not always reasoning behind it, he sure is getting his feet wet.

We're past the getting the feet wet stage. That was the runup to his DH games. We are now at the point where Macha is utilizing his players on a game by game basis, trying to win each game while using players often enough to get the best out of them. Again, just because you don't agree with the reasoning doesn't mean there isn't reason behind each move.

JJ played his entire rookie year and had the defense. I don't know if he should've been up, but it'd be somewhat the same if Escobar was called up and started in the bigs this year. I don't know if it's 100% the right move, but the defense was ready and the bat would come.

Hardy missed almost the entire previous season. It would be nothing like bringing up Escobar right now. Hardy probably should have spent time in the minors getting his swing back before playing in the minors. It would be like Escobar getting hurt in early May and missing the rest of this season and then being the opening day SS in 2010.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Macha is trying to win now. Finding time for a guy not hitting and below par on defense when your defense has carried you thus far is difficult to do. And as for Hardy, what makes it really bad is despite all Yost's talk of being patient by June Hardy was a part time player and remained so for the rest of the season.

We're past the getting the feet wet stage. That was the runup to his DH games. We are now at the point where Macha is utilizing his players on a game by game basis, trying to win each game while using players often enough to get the best out of them. Again, just because you don't agree with the reasoning doesn't mean there isn't reason behind each move.

Then why is Hall starting over him at times?

Hardy missed almost the entire previous season. It would be nothing like bringing up Escobar right now. Hardy probably should have spent time in the minors getting his swing back before playing in the minors. It would be like Escobar getting hurt in early May and missing the rest of this season and then being the opening day SS in 2010.

No it wouldn't. If Escobar came up now, I feel he'd put up similar offensive numbers for awhile as Hardy did. I think he'd struggle a bit. I'm not saying calling Hardy up was the right move or wrong move. I am saying this team has had issues with defense with Braun, Weeks, and Fielder and it would be in the best interest of the team to get Gamel at 3B everyday. Hardy is really the only guy that came up as a plus defender.

As somebody else suggested...I'm sure Gamel is working on things before games with Major League coaching. That in itself may be more valuable than game experience at AAA.

When he plays, sure. I just don't see how taking ground balls during BP is going to help him as much as live action. It's not like Don Money was a scrub in AAA. My point is he's a better hitter than any other option at 3B (Gamel actually hits lefties better than he hits righties)...so why isn't he starting everyday? If the Brewers want to continue to develop bats, that's fine. They just haven't shown at all that they can develop IF in the minors. I still think Gamel can do it, but he's not going to do that by having a manager start a veteran over him...just because.

Macha is trying to win now. Finding time for a guy not hitting and below par on defense when your defense has carried you thus far is difficult to do. And as for Hardy, what makes it really bad is despite all Yost's talk of being patient by June Hardy was a part time player and remained so for the rest of the season.

Then why have him the bigs? He has similar numbers to Braun (give or take) at this point offensively. Did they bench Braun? I just fail to see how this is a good move for Gamel now and long-term. Give him the job and let's see what he can do. Positional players don't like being a DH. Let Gamel play 3B a week or so and we'll check back in on those offensive numbers. He's the third best hitter on the team.

As far as Hardy, he had the defense. The team also wasn't projected to do much so it moved him up. I'm not saying it was the right idea or the wrong idea, but when they did give him a chance to start everyday. Why not let Gamel? He clearly has much more potential at the plate than Hall does. If Hall didn't have a big contract, he'd be on the bench more.

Honestly, I think some of you need to take a step back and take a deep breath. I'm not trying to be patronizing (really, I'm not, so please don't take this the wrong way) but all the freaking out about Gamel's playing time or lack thereof is getting a bit disconcerting around here.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Then why is Hall starting over him at times?

Hall has two starts in 6 games at 3B since the Twins series has ended. That is part of the idea of keeping players fresh.

This perception that Gamel isn't getting playing time doesn't match his recent activity.

It's also worth pointing out that given where the team is at in the success cycle Macha's move makes sense as a hedge against risk. 3 years ago you call up Gamel and let him play and tell Spivey to be a good soldier (or ship him out when he won't). Different story now. You give Gamel a reasonable chance to force the issue by hitting like crazy and playing solid defense, but you don't expose yourself to having Hall become overly disgruntled because he was just benched for a rookie. Hall might still be annoyed, but it seems like Macha has given him a fair shake and is easing him into a different role, while preserving the possibility of going back if Gamel's defense looks to untrustworthy. It might not be the call I would make, but it is a reasonable strategy.

Archived