Brewer Fanatic

Trade notes from ESPN article

AJAY

From Jayson Stark of ESPN.com . . .

The Brewers have been a one-stop shopping outlet all spring for teams in the outfield market. But one club that has been speaking with them says they've pulled back their efforts to deal Clark, Mench or Jenkins until Laynce Nix recovers from an oblique injury. � The Brewers also are telling teams they're holding onto Turnbow. But one NL executive says: "I'd trade him right now -- while he's throwing strikes."

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/sp...id=2806659

But one club that has been speaking with them says they've pulled back their efforts to deal Clark, Mench or Jenkins until Laynce Nix recovers from an oblique injury.

Wha!?

Layne Nix might be holding up a potential deal? I sure hope Melvin is just trying to squeeze a little more out of someone.

NIx's MLE's last year were .280 avg, .798 OPS and played good defense in CF, he isn't near as bad as people want to say he is. That being said unless its Clark I fail to see why he would block a trade in any way.

Ennder, I agree that Nix is a bit of a dark horse as a '08 starting outfield candidate. It's the fact that he's number 7 or 8 on the outfield list suprises me that he'd be holding up a deal.

Its not like we'd be need him right away, or even soon. We may not need him healthy at all. And he won't be out that long. Just seems odd.

Ennder, I agree that Nix is a bit of a dark horse as a '08 starting outfield candidate. It's the fact that he's number 7 or 8 on the outfield list suprises me that he'd be holding up a deal.

I would say he is 6th on the depth chart right now. Hall, Hart, Jenks, Mench, and Clark ahead of him. Trading him now would only give them 4 healthy guys to possibly start the season out. They could get away with have Gywnn jr sitting on the pines till Nix is healthy. If Melvin got an offer he liked the trigger would be pulled because 5th OF really isn't going to play early with all the off days, unless injuries hit.

This is just typical Melvin positioning. In "Melvin-speak" this is: "Sure I'll trade an outfielder eventually, but if you want one now it'll cost you a little extra." Everybody knows there are too many players to keep, so he's using injuries as a bargaining chip - our own, no less. Sheer genius.

I just have this feeling that Melvin will trade Mench...especially after listening to Mench's interview on WTMJ last night. He didn't sound like he wanted to do anything else but start. This team has an excellent chance to contend and one of the important things I've heard talked about with this team is chemistry...I don't see Mench fitting in with that.

The problem with Nix isn't lack of playing ability as much as lack of ability to stay healthy for 5 straight days.

That and treating walks like anthrax.In 851 at bats he has 41 walks and in his last 77 at bats he walked a whopping 0 times.His defense is great to watch and the power is intriguing,but getting on base at a .277 clip won't cut it.

Nix is one of those teases with some great skills you see in sports that never just puts it together.

Quote:
Corey Hart in right, the Brewers are trying to move at least two outfielders among Kevin Mench, Geoff Jenkins and Brady Clark. Contracts are a problem

One down, two to go... (Clark for Dessens)

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Archived