Brewer Fanatic

Podcasts

Katuluu

As some of you know, I have my own film website where I focus on on lesser known films. This weekend my friend James and I recorded our first podcast which is now online. We call the show High and Low (Brow) and focus on two films with similar themes in each episode. For this particular one we chose And Then There Were None and the Italian giallo 5 Dolls for an August Moon, as both were adapted from the Agatha Christie novel Ten Little Indians.The technical side of the show is still pretty rough as I'm learning as we go, but I think the format has a lot of potential. I know there are plenty of film fans on here, so if you could listen and give me any comments it would be greatly appreciated. Also, thanks to Robert R for giving me this idea in the first place.

But rather then have the focus be on just my own podcast, I was wondering what podcasts other people listen to? I have a few I download regularly and am always on the look out for more, so I figured how about we finally get a thread up and going so we can hare some of our favorites.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I regularly listen to the Mark Belling podcast, along with MLB.com's Fantasy 411, and Baseball Today from ESPN.com.

I'm semi regular with the Dan Patrick show podcast (a couple times per week).

I'll listen to Bill Simmons as well, as long as the subject is sports.

And then finally, I will listen to stuff from WFAN.com Mike Francesa, Benigno & Roberts, and Steve Somers. Jon Heyman talking baseball with Francesa is the best.

The Ricky Gervais Podcast is an absolute must! (Although you have to pay for archived podcasts; about $5 a season) Other than that, I listen to the Adam Carolla podcast on a semi regular basis.

I listen mostly to the video game / pop culture podcasts (Listen Up, Giant Bombcast, Totally Rad Show, Co-Op, etc.), some tech industry casts (Tekzilla, TWiT, Buzz Out Loud), and Belling's podcast (if I miss the live version).

• 1 year later...

Instead of starting a new thread, I found this old one.

I too was wondering what podcasts everyone listens to. I'm a huge Adam Carolla fan, so I listen to The Adam Carolla show religiously. I also listen to the Loveline podcast and the Film Vault on a regular basis.

Are there any really good sports podcasts? I can't stand the PTI crew, so that is a no for me. Spider and the Henchman is horrible. (I can't stand listening to Kevin Hench tell stories about his high school basketball glory days.) How is Bill Simmons? I was thinking about giving him a try. I'm also looking for good movie podcasts and other funny podcasts. Thank you.

My regular podcast listening:

ESPN Baseball Today (Like the show now with Karabell and Everett, but it was even better with Karabell and Pascarelli)

ESPN Baseball Fantasy Focus

Bill Simmons B.S. Report

Up And In: Baseball Prospectus (This is new with Kevin Goldstein, it's fantastic. Only once per week but 2 hours long)

The Adam Carolla Show

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I listen to the Radiolab podcast from WNYC. It's categorized as "science," I think, but it's remarkable for it's storytelling. The hosts, Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich, are hilarious an present themselves as genuine and emotionally and intellectually engaged with their topics, which cover the most diverse subjects, yet always manage to converge in an ultimately rewarding manner. The show is also on NPR affiliates, so you might have caught it, if you listen to the low FMs. The podcast offers bi-weekly-ish short updates, mostly audio, but sometimes video sneaks in. Incredible production values, though, especially sound editing.

I'm interested in digital culture, technology and education, so my listening skews in that direction. I listen to the BBC's Digital Planet almost every week, Technophiles (which is made locally by some friends of mine), and the ARGNetcast for immersive gaming/transmedia news.

Others I sometimes catch are anything from CurrentTV (Rotten Tomatoes, InfoMania, Vanguard) and TV on the Internet.

My regular podcast listening:

ESPN Baseball Today (Like the show now with Karabell and Everett, but it was even better with Karabell and Pascarelli)

ESPN Baseball Fantasy Focus

Bill Simmons B.S. Report

Up And In: Baseball Prospectus (This is new with Kevin Goldstein, it's fantastic. Only once per week but 2 hours long)

The Adam Carolla Show

I also like to listen to Bill Simmons, but for whatever reason, man any podcast from ESPN drags my computer down to a crawl and no other podcast on other sites cause the same.

• 2 weeks later...
And then finally, I will listen to stuff from WFAN.com Mike Francesa, Benigno & Roberts, and Steve Somers. Jon Heyman talking baseball with Francesa is the best.

I just subscribed to the Francesa podcast on iTunes. Very good. I like that when he talks MLB with various experts it is not just Yankees and Mets, they go around the league.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• 1 month later...

My new regular rotation includes the following:

Mark Belling

Tony Kornheiser

Dan LeBatard

Mike Francesa

Steve Somers

Don Imus

Bill Simmons

I dropped Dan Patrick, as I'm tired of him interview athletes. I dropped ESPN's Baseball Today when they added Seth Everett. I dropped MLB.com's Fantasy 411 when it became a tv show.

just found a new one that has entered my weekly rountine, for fans of the sklar brothers or cheap seats, they have a weekly podcast thats pretty good

http://www.earwolf.com/show/sklarbro-country

Oh yeah! I jumped on that right away, seen them post on facebook that they were starting a podcast and I was very excited. I love when they host the Jim Rome Show and it is pretty much the same thing. Big Sklar fan.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I dropped ESPN's Baseball Today when they added Seth Everett.
Really? I don't mind Everett, he does name drop a bit too much, but I think he and Karabell have developed a good chemistry on the show. Of course, Everett is no Peter Pascarelli. Peter and Eric together was pure gold.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I dropped ESPN's Baseball Today when they added Seth Everett.
Really? I don't mind Everett, he does name drop a bit too much, but I think he and Karabell have developed a good chemistry on the show. Of course, Everett is no Peter Pascarelli. Peter and Eric together was pure gold.
I also loved Pascarelli and thought of him when the Bud statue was unveiled.

I like Eric Karabell on that podcast, but Everett rubbed me the wrong way. It seemed that he spent too much time talking about himself, his resume, his ESPN NY stuff. . .lots of ESPN cross-promotion that grows old. Like nothing happens in the game unless he was there to see it. And frankly, I had never heard of the guy before this.

He was talking about himself and Griffey, etc. . .and I really couldn't care less about how good of pals they are.

And, they kept bringing on Mark Simon, another guy I had never heard of, to recite some innane trivial facts about the last time a player whose last name started with a J pitched 6 or more innings in 15 straight starts while giving up no more than 5 hits, and junk like that. . . Just random trivia that made Karabell roar with laughter in a geekfest.

Maybe its better now, but my pod is full. I might go back to it in the offseason for a fix.

I see your point JimH5, some stuff can get a bit annoying. But overall I still download everyday and enjoy it. I to thought of Mr. Pascarelli the day the Selig statue was unveiled. Too bad he got let go from the podcast for something so ridiculous.

For football fans, I seen yesterday that Rich Eisen of NFL Network will be launching a weekly podcast starting next week Tuesday. Each Tuesday after a new one will be up. I have always been a big fan of Eisen's work so I will be adding that to my podcast rotation.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• 4 months later...

Per today's Baseball Today podcast on ESPN, Seth Everett is out. . .going to pursue other things.

I thought he was a know-it-all and namedropper, so I'm fine with his departure.

Hoping they bring Peter Pascarelli back. . .

I keep a rotation of the B.S. Report, The Adam Carolla Show & The Film Vault. Tried Spider and the Henchman and agree that it's not that great. Will definitely try out the Baseball Today podcast though as Bill Simmons is on NBA overload now that football is over and I'm not a big NBA fan.

Archived