Brewer Fanatic

The difference vs. MN this weekend

MNBrew

Given the Brewers' & Twins' records coming into the weekend series, you probably would've expected the opposite of what happened....

Having watched all 3 games including Sunday's in person, I'd like to assert that the difference mainly came down to pitching:

Total pitching line for the 3 games:

Twins: 27 IP, 24 H, 8 R, 7 ER, 4 BB, 18 K, 2 HR

Brewers: 24 IP, 28 H, 23R, 21 ER, 12 BB, 12 K, 7 HR

That's skewed to a little more even since the Twins only managed 6 hits on Sunday, although 3 of those were the HRs that drove in all 6 runs.

Also, extra base hits + OBP really favored the Twins:

Twins: 1 2B, 3 3B, 7 HR (39 TB on 11 extra base hits, + 17 singles & 12 walks)

Brewers: 6 2B, 0 3B, 2 HR (20 TB on 8 extra base hits, + 16 singles & 4 walks)

In short,

- the Twins made more pitches when they needed to,

- the Brewers had a much harder time throwing strikes,

- the Twins' offense was much more timely and opportunistic,

- the Brewers just didn't put together that many good at-bats and didn't maximize the few good opportunities they really had.

Finally, only 2 Brewers relievers gave up any runs at all over the weekend (Swindle & Stetter), which indicates the greater problem was poorer outings by the starters, which also meant the Brewers were playing from behind practically all weekend.

The Twins play excellent fundamental baseball. Pitchers throw strikes, batters take pitches, and they hit well in situational at-bats.

A Twins team down 5-0, is going to lose 99.9% of the time. However, we rarely if ever blow leads, and that is because the basic philosophy is that solo home runs don't hurt you, but walks do.

Organizational philosophy as well as managerial style have as much to do with the home record as anything else. Though the turf and wind blowing in from centerfield during the top half of innings helps as well http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The overriding issue was the scheduling. The Brewers were on the last of a 3 city trip that included two post midnight plane rides followed by games the next day. They were coming off of a stretch where they were 22- 6, and were due for letdown and combined with fatigue from a brutal schedule, the Twins were virtual locks to take 2 of 3 at least especially as hot as Mauer has been. It was by no means a fair appraisal of the relative strengths of both teams. I think the Twins are a fine team if Baker's start is indicative of how he'll pitch the rest of the way. But Twins fans did not see a Brewer team anywhere close to it's normal productive self.

Normally I'm not one to get into things like this, but I'm actually really curious to see what kind of home record the Twins will amass once their new park opens. There's just a litany of things you hear about why it's tough to play in the HHH, and how the Twins do have a relatively big home-field advantage.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think a bad series in Minneapolis was inevitable given the laws of competitive balance. But I so do admire the Twinkies organization. I love to watch them play. I dream of the day when the Crew are that disciplined on the field and in upper management. I think we're getting there, but we'll have to figure out the whole development of pitcher's thing first. Now it's time for some payback in Brewtown.

I sat in left field on saturday, we were low in 5th or 6th row so the roof became the background every time the ball was in the air. I could not follow a single fly ball, as soon as the roof became the background I lost it and all I could do was look at the fielder. Obviously the players on the field are able to track the ball most of the time, but it has to take a lot more concentration than it does in a normal ballpark.

Archived