Brewer Fanatic

Harden to DL

This basically assures the Cubs of going after Peavy.
With what talent? They have nothing in their Minor League system. Going off of the White Sox deal, it looks like they want young pitching in return. The cubs have Samardzija (if he still counts a minor), Vitters and that's really it as far as real minor league talent goes.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

When we compare injures with the Cubs and Cardinals let's just remember that when BPro put out their team health reports the Brewers had the best overall grade of any team in baseball and the Cubs and to a lesser extent the Cardinals had tons of reds. In fact the Cubs were very close to the worst overall report. It should be expected that we stay healthier than other teams and between Hoffman, Weeks and Hardy's injuries we probably have had worse luck overall than either of those teams.

man, oh man. i've just got mention this here.

about 2 weeks into the season i took a flyer on an opening in this crazy dynasty fantasy league that was looking for replacement owners. the league is really active with lots of trade offers flying all the time. the team i came into was in dire straits for pitching and loaded with aging bats. my third day of managing the team - after a bit of deliberation - i traded manny ramirez and rich harden for jake peavy, zach duke, and joba chamberlain.

i'm feeling pretty good about that trade at this point.

With what talent? They have nothing in their Minor League system. Going off of the White Sox deal, it looks like they want young pitching in return. The cubs have Samardzija (if he still counts a minor), Vitters and that's really it as far as real minor league talent goes.

well, i would think that jake fox would be an interesting prospect, at least so long as he's hitting everything in sight. too bad he plays the same position as san diego's only good offensive player.

Probably good for him if it's not his arm.

The Cubs' ownership situation is preventing them from going after Peavy. Hendry basically has his hands tied. I'm reading it's not going to be settled anytime soon.

Yeah, the latest reports say that the Cubs' ownership situation won't be settled until sometime in August, which is after the trading deadline.
Which means that Cubs fans will continue to be loveable losers. Works for me. I'd rather have Cubs and their fans as loveable losers than loveable winners.

well, i would think that jake fox would be an interesting prospect, at least so long as he's hitting everything in sight. too bad he plays the same position as san diego's only good offensive player.

Jake Fox is a 26 year old in AAA, he has some value but not a ton. Seems kind of like a Nelson Cruz to me. It would have to be Vitters, a really good pitching prospect, which they do not have or maybe Marshall who is already in the rotation. I am not sure if Vitters, Marshall and Fox would get it done but I do not see how the Cubs could make this trade without including Vitters and Marshall since it is known the Padres want young pitching and the Cubs have none. They have an old rotation outside of Marshall and no great prospects for pitching.

It is kind of unfortunate for the Padres because they have a great trading piece and a team desperate for him but the Cubs have nothing of value to trade. Even their young position players in the majors do not have a ton of value. Fontenot is struggling and Theriot is good enough (although i think overrated) but he would not land much in return.

It's worth noting that Harden is probably only going to be gone for a couple weeks...doesn't necessarily mandate they acquire another SP.

It does, however, ensure a couple starts from an AAA caliber pitcher and at least one start for Harden to get back into the swing of things... In summary, it gives the Cubs somewhat significantly less of a chance to win at least three games. I'll take it.

It's worth noting that Harden is probably only going to be gone for a couple weeks...doesn't necessarily mandate they acquire another SP.

It does, however, ensure a couple starts from an AAA caliber pitcher and at least one start for Harden to get back into the swing of things... In summary, it gives the Cubs somewhat significantly less of a chance to win at least three games. I'll take it.

Randy Wells has been doing pretty well in the Majors though. So, though there be less of a chance, I'm not sure how significantly less of a chance there is.

Archived