Brewer Fanatic

Brewer vs Twins Debate

I was out at the bars in Eau Claire last night, and ran into several people coming up for the series this weekend. With the mix of Brewer and Twins fans in the bar, after a few beers, the back and forth started. I thought one of the debates that I heard was pretty good. Pretend that contract issues wouldn't matter.....for the next three years would you rather have the combination on Fielder/Braun or Morneau/Mauer on your team? While the Brewer fan in me wanted to defend the twosome, it was tough to not like the idea of the catcher hole filled with a Mauer in Milwaukee. Just wondering what others thoughts on this are..........

I'll take Fielder and Braun over Mauer and Morneau. The Twins get an advantage though since they can rest Mauer and still play him otherwise if the Twins didn't have the DH rule it wouldn't even be close. Having to sit Mauer at least once a week wouldn't be an ideal situation with the DH rule the Twins can sit Mauer and have him play DH. Playing as a catcher really diminishes a players offensive ability over time.

It is a hard decision to make if Mauer played a different position. It is very close to a wash as it is right now but I would still take Fielder and Braun over them.

Can I keep Braun and dump Fielder for Mauer? Both Morneau and Mauer were more valuable than Fielder... Mauer was worth 5.9 wins and Morneau 3.5... In Mauer's case it's amazing what happens when crappy defense doesn't offset premium offense.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It is a hard decision to make if Mauer played a different position. It is very close to a wash as it is right now but I would still take Fielder and Braun over them.
Mauer playing catcher makes him WAY more valuable than any other position. Not only is he a very athletically gifted catcher, he hits the cover off the ball. He was worth 6(!) wins last year. The reason this would be somewhat difficult is that Morneau is not nearly as good as the media thinks he is. I think I still have to go with Mauer/Morneau simply because Mauer is an absolute beast and he plays the most valuable position on the field.

EDIT: According to fangraphs, Braun and Fielder combined to be worth slightly more than 6 wins. Morneau and Mauer were with more than 9 wins combined. You remove defense from the equation, and Mauer and Morneau are still worth significantly more than Fielder and Braun. This is a no-brainer.

People that give the edge to the Twins mostly do because of Mauer playing catcher. The question is, how long will he actually play catcher? At some point you figure with how good his bat is he will be moved to a corner OF spot? At least that is what I have heard in some Twins circles.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Mauer and Morneau without a doubt. Prince is a DH temporarily holding down 1B, he's a distant fourth in this quartet. I love Braun, but no way can he alone compete with M&M. Now, in time, Braun + Gamel maybe....
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I would take Braun #1, then Mauer because he is a catcher, Morneau, then Prince is a distant fourth.

So to answer the question, I would take the Twins duo. But I think Braun is the best player overall.

Also, I agree with valpo... Braun and Gamel may be a better debate in a year or two!

But I think Braun is the best player overall.
I completely disagree. Mauer is, in my opinion, clearly the best of the 4 without a doubt.
Is that because he is having an abnormal outburst of power right now? Or because he is actually on the playing field? Fact is, Mauer is often injured. While he may have Braun in hitting for average and defense, Braun has Mauer in power, speed and I can even think you can say he has him in arm strength. Mauer is overrated as a defensive catcher in my opinion. Since he threw out 55% of runners in 2007, his percentage has dropped drastically to where it is at 22% right now. I would take Mauer and Morneau, but not because of either of them being great, it is just that Fielder is the odd man out in this conversation.

I would take Morneau in a heartbeat over Fielder.

For a Braun/Mauer trade I´d have to think about it. Although I´d probably go with Braun.

If I was offered the trade straight up (and it wasn´t dependent on contract lengths etc.), I think it would probably be a pretty even trade.

Mauer was worth 5.9 wins and Morneau 3.5.

Realize that fangraphs does not measure catcher defense at all, they only account for the difficulty of the position. You can probably add close to a win to that number, because Mauer is by most accounts one of the best defensive catchers in the league.

The difference between the value of a catcher on defense and a LF is huge. Braun is relatively average for a LF and Mauer is by most accounts a very good defender. If Mauer and Braun are anywhere close offensively, Mauer is far and away the better option.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Since he threw out 55% of runners in 2007, his percentage has dropped drastically to where it is at 22% right now.

A lot of times when a catcher enters a league, coaches test their arms by running a lot -- giving the catcher a lot of easy chances, once the C starts picking off runners, the attempts and percentages drop.

Mauer is a great defensive catcher.

I probably would agree with Ennder's assessment.

I can even think you can say he has him in arm strength.

Easy big fella. Mauer was the #1 HS QB recruit in the country, and much of that had to do with his superior arm strength. While Braun has a nice arm, he's no Mauer. And not many are.

And I'm with FTJ, though Mauer might even be under rated with how good defensively he is. I'd take him over anyone in the league. The guy is flat out slick. Anyone catch his web gem against the Yankees last week? I don't think any other catcher in the league can make that play.

Archived