Brewer Fanatic

Possible 3B solution

Gents,

I posted something similar on Jsonline but was wondering how this forum would react.

I'm not sure who is excited about the prospects of a Counsenino platoon at 3rd, but I'm not. If Turnbow gets his control back, I think they should package him and Jenkins to the Red Sox for Mike Lowell before he loses his control again. Apparently the Sox inquired about him over the winter so we know there is some interest. The move would have several positive effects on our beloved Crew.

1. It'd clear roughly 10M in salary. Lowell is making 9 I beleive so we're ahead there.

2. Jenkins and his new "tude" are gone.

3. We add a proven, solid 3B.

4. Lowell gives us a nice bridge so Braun won't be rushed. Although I'm not sure how many years Lowell has left on his contact.

5. We can platoon Gross and Mench. (do you suppose he was the "big giant head' that they referred to on the sitcom 3rd Rock from the sun?)

The only negatives that I see are how many years does Lowell have left on his contract and does he have a no trade clause?

If Turnbow regains his control, think what he'd be worth at the trade deadline!!!!! That could come back to haunt us if we dealt him now.

I think this is a solid deal all the way around but not one that I've heard tossed around.

Your thoughts?

You should at least look up a player's contract before proposing trades. Here's good place to get the info:

LINK

Also, this belongs in the Trade Poposal forum, where you'll find many people suggesting the Brewers trade Jenkins, Turnbow, Clark, etc... Those guys have little or no trade value, so I don't understand why people think the Brewers could get anything for them. This isn't MLB2K7, where you can throw a bunch of overpriced, mediocre players at a team and get something of value in return.

The Red Sox have been looking to move Lowell, but they wouldn't have a use for Jenkins. Mench would be a better match, giving them a strong RH bat to play behind Drew and Ortiz and a decent fill in for when Drew misses his 40 games.

It seems like the Red Sox have been rumored as a potential trade partner of the Brewers all off-season. I'm somewhat surprised something hasn't happened yet, even a minor deal of some kind.

I do think trading Turnbow and someone else for Lowell could be worth it.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
Why in the beep would we want Lowell, he is not done much lately. He is playing in a hitters park when you look at his stats.

Actually, Lowell hit worse in Fenway than on the road - .763 OPS at home versus .866 on the road. An .814 OPS is pretty solid. Not great, but solid. Certainly better than a Graffy/Counsell platoon.

Lowell also hit well (save for 2005, when he was terrible) in a pitchers park in Miami. He also won a gold glove last season - for what that's worth.

I'm not saying we should get him or anything, just pointing this out. He did fade quite a bit after the break, after a hot start. I guess you could argue that his first half play last year might be more of an abertion than an indication of his skills. I don't see him play, but it's certainly possible he's lost a step, lost some bat speed, etc. Still, overall, he played well last year. Not great. But good.

Of course, no reason the Sox need our outfielders, so the point is moot.

Actually, Lowell hit worse in Fenway than on the road - .763 OPS at home versus .866 on the road. An .814 OPS is pretty solid. Not great, but solid. Certainly better than a Graffy/Counsell platoon.

Reilly, thanks for that information. I would that it has to be kind of a fluke as Fenway is suck a good hitters park.

I still would take the platoon over him. You are going to after trade some depth for a guy that doesn't really jump up the improvement at his spot. He also one the slowests runners in the bigs.

• 2 weeks later...
Lowell is a gold glove quality 3B as well so would be a big defensive upgrade. The biggest problem with it is his contract sucks kinda like Jenkins does and I think jenkins is the 3rd best OF on the team and the best on the team vs Righties so I don't see a huge reason to trade him other than to hope Gross repeats last year.

• 2 weeks later...

The gosh darn solution to 3B is to simply put frickin Bill Hall back there and call it day.

Throw Gwynn in CF with Gross or vice versa and bring up Ryan Braun to platoon with Jenkins and move Mench for Leiber or something.

It is that simple. Only the Brewers can botch up things like this. It is staring us right in the face.

You have to think about strong defense up the middle and in the corners. Then if Koskie comes back he can back Hall.

Send Mench and Graffanino in a pacakage and then bring up Rottino with Counsell for INF depth and there you go.

Leave Hall and Hardy on the left side and not one ball will get by them and not one will get in the gaps on Gwynn or Gross.

This is so simple it infuriates me...I can't see why they do not do it?

You got all your home grown talent and guys you had made trades for right there! Then we will see Melvin's greatness in all of this...

Quote:
It is that simple. Only the Brewers can botch up things like this. It is staring us right in the face.
No, it's really not. Bill Hall was moved to CF because he's going to need to learn on the job, as he would have been moved eventually, in order to accomodate Braun playing 3B.

If you doubt our braintrust's faith in Braun's ability to improve, look no further than your screennamesake's incredibly defensive turnaround (turn of the corner) in 2006.

And your "Only the Brewers...." quote is just plain obnoxious. This club finally has assembled a team that can win. Moving Bill Hall to CF, while not necessarily the "best" move in the short term, plays into extended & sustained success (not just this year), as Braun will likely be ready by - at latest - 2008. Would you like them to just give up on having a phenomenal athlete playing the hot corner? This is why Doug Melvin is paid to make these decisions, and not us fans. He knows what he's talking about

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have to agree with TooLIve, but can understand where you're coming from, Canada. In my heart, I'd really love to see Hall at 3B instead of a Graf/Counsel platoon. However, I know in my head that we need to just get Hall out in CF so we're prepared when Braun arrives (which could be mid-year '07).

So, in the immediate term it creates a situation many of us may not feel comfortable with. But for the long-term, I understand why they're doing what they're doing.

the white sox are getting very concerned about their closer jenks. and they don't appreciate the third baseman they have in crede. they have an up and coming third baseman named Fields the y would like to play.

a turnbow package deal for Crede deal wouldn't be so bad. throw in an extra outfielder.

Archived