Brewer Fanatic

Another black eye for Brewer Fans

RyDogg66
True, but the Cubs fans allowed the situation to significantly escalate. In no way does throwing a beer bottle at a car warrant assault

Wouldn't throwing a beer bottle at someone... or his property while he's in it... be assault?

Is it an assault that suggest you should have 5 guys kick someone in the head until they are hospitalized in the critical unit to the point where he would have probably died without medical aid? Because that is what happened?

That specific example wasn't supposed to be making my point for me but you have to be obtuse to believe that Cubs fans don't start just as many of the fights as Brewers fans.

I wish they would ban beer/liquor in the lot and at the games. Then again, this is strictly a selfish thing as I don't drink and I cannot stand seeing drunk people. The loss of revenue is the only thing that I would be concerned about.

Then again, another person might say that they wished for a ban of nachos so they wouldn't have to sit next to my fat butt.

The part of the article that I didn't like was how they mentioned alcohol sales were suppose to stop after the 7th, but their camerman saw plenty of people buying booze after that. Beer vendors and concession stands have always been very adamant about the 7th inning rule in my experience. The only place to buy alcohol after the 7th is at Friday's and they don't let you out of the bar with a drink then. Granted that policy of selling booze then doesn't seem like the best idea, but the story makes Miller Park look really shady with the rules without giving the rest of the story behind what's really going on.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

I know it would be limited but do they still have a family section? If you don't want to drink or be around drunk people why not sit there? I just don't see it as that big of a problem. Two big rival teams with fans that travel seperated by 90 miles seems like a bigger recipe for fights.

Doesn't 5% of the entire U.S. population act like thugs when they're thoroughly trashed anyway? I fail to see how this is a Brewers problem. It's a general d-bag problem.

Only 5%? Id say that is closer to 25%.

Also, nobody (except maybe INSIDE EDITION) is saying this is a Brewers problem. Certainly that wasnt why I started the thread. Rather, I was saying that the way this story was pitched and reported on (if you can call this reporting) made Brewer fans look bad because of the repeated mentions of Milwaukee, Miller Park and the Brewers.

I hate how they called that guy a "die-hard" Brewers's fan. I highly doubt it.

I swear I sat behind that guy in the video (the "die hard" fan) last year or the year before last. Skinny guy decked out in Brewers gear and just shouting his head off, doing some d-bag dancing in the aisle, and barely paying attention to the game. I am elated by the playoff realities and chances of recent years, but drawing the bigger crowds does draw a bigger contingent of mouth-breathers (just a term and not meant as offense to true Brewers fans out there with sinus problems.)

Brian's comment about the 5% constant is spot on. The problem of course is that that 5% stand out much more than the 95% who are just watching the game. And then that 5% makes gets you more on edge about the other 20% who are not DBG (d-bags grande) but make annoying comments like "You suck Hardy! DFA Hardy and bring up Escobar" (actually heard recently after a JJ error), or just banter on their cell phones next to you (more of a problem at Wrigley than Miller Park, but it does happen.)

Quick story: Two years ago I stupidly left my key turned in my car and let my battery drained. I needed a jump in the Giants parking lot. I asked the guy next to me for a jump. He was a Brewers fan. He was kind of reluctant because he just wanted to go. Then he said, "OK. Just be thankful you're not in Chicago. Those (deleted) won't help anybody." Then he saw my Illinois plates and got in his car and left without helping me. So in his effort to express his disgust for all things IL - including a transplanted cheesehead who happens to live in Chicago - he acted like what he professed to hate the most. When you take rivalries and prejudices to jingoistic proportions, you instantly fail to prove the righteousness of your own cause.

In truth I have more issues with people who try to take over my tailgating space, or are screaming ranting louts at the game, than I have with fans wearing jerseys of the opposing team.

BrewCrewRising wrote:

In truth I have more issues with people who try to take over my tailgating space, or are screaming ranting louts at the game, than I have with fans wearing jerseys of the opposing team.

I think that's kind of the consensus among a lot of people - at least that's how I feel. Hardly anyone minds the Cubs fan who wears his jersey to Miller Park and actually wants to enjoy the game. People get upset when Cubs fans (or even other Brewers fans) become loud obnoxious. I would obviously rather see only 5% Cubs fans as opposed to 20-40%ish depending on the game, but it's not like I am gonna get pissed at those Cubs fans who are there just watching the game (and I really can't, considering the fact that I plan on going to 4 games in Chicago over 4th of July weekend).

As for the talking on the cell phone thing, I think some people (not necessarily you, BrewCrewRising) get too worked up over little things. One game I was at (with tickets right behind home plate, in about the 8th row) the people behind me were complaing about the guy next to them who was apparently on his cell phone. Now, this game was a while ago, but I don't recall hearing him really talking in anything louder than a normal voice. And, he was behind me, but I don't believe he was standing up to try to get his friends to see him or anything like that either. Therefore, my brother, for the sole reason of ticking the people behind us off, called his friend. He wasn't shouting into this phone, being obnoxious, or standing up - just simply sitting in his seat and talking on the phone. As I glanced out of the corner of my eye, the people behind me gave each other looks like "what is going on here?" Basically, I thought they were getting irritated just because the guy wasn't watching the game, even though he (from my perspective) didn't seem to be bothering them, or anyone else, at all. I think some people out there need to lighten up about some things.

That said, there are those who stand up to take a picture or whatever and then just stand there and block other people's views of the game. There were a couple people like this at the last game I was at. The fans behind one group of people literally had to ask this one guy multiple times to sit down (the last time, they literally had to yell at him...). Of course, when everyone stood up for Trevor Hoffman's intro, the guy started talking crap back to them. (And of course, this guy and his group remained seated for the last out of the 9th inning, when absolutely everyone was standing, simply solidifying the fact that the people who are annoying and get in your way of enjoying the game don't care much about the game.) At the same game, there was another guy who took a pic of Hoffman during his first pitch, but then he remained standing after my dad and the people in front of us asked him to sit down. He clearly was doing this for the sole purpose of being a jerk about it - and he made a comment too when everyone stood up for the last out.

To sum all this up and bring it back to the point of the thread, I don't really have a problem with drunks or other people at games until they get in my way of enjoying the game. If someone wants to pay for a ticket, then drink to the point that they're ready to pass out in the concourse during the 5th inning, who cares? It becomes an issue for me if/when they start puking on me, start stumbling into me, start trying to start fights, etc. I don't even mind the dumb comments I might hear from them in the stands during the game - it gives me something to laugh at (at least until they start screaming their heads off, standing up and blocking my view, or something along those lines).

The part of the article that I didn't like was how they mentioned alcohol sales were suppose to stop after the 7th, but their camerman saw plenty of people buying booze after that. Beer vendors and concession stands have always been very adamant about the 7th inning rule in my experience. The only place to buy alcohol after the 7th is at Friday's and they don't let you out of the bar with a drink then. Granted that policy of selling booze then doesn't seem like the best idea, but the story makes Miller Park look really shady with the rules without giving the rest of the story behind what's really going on.
concession stands are really strict about this rule. every time i have volunteered in a stand, the stand leader (a sportservice employee) makes sure that all sales stop once the last out of the 7th inning is made.

Verified Member

I agree, if I'm next in line and the 7th ends, BAM you're cut off.. I have never seen a vendor or a concession worker at MP break this rule..

BTW, my ex wife and son went to the Cubs series and saw Cubs college fans drinking from cans in the stands! I mean, how did that happen? I can see a can or two, but a whole group of kids bringing in 6 packs of Bud? Someone dropped the ball, got lost in the crush, I guess.

I saw a guy sneak in a tall boy into MP once, and the beer vendor saw him and just about blasted my eardrums at how loud he screamed at this dude..

Face it, this city is always going to be ground zero in the eyes of the media when it comes to sports and drunkenness, and I supposed it's 95% to do with tailgating, but it seems that people are now throwing responsibility out the window..When I was a kid (bear with me) my dad and the rest of my family brought a hard sided cooler filled with sandwiches, beer, and bottles of booze and mixers to the game and we would mix drinks for everyone in our row and I dont remember this kind of crap.

That was my rant, thank you for your support.

Archived